Why I love Australia

Old May 18th 2007, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why I love Australia

Once I returned to the UK I realised - even more strongly - what a great place England is compared to other countries I've lived (notice the word 'lived', not read about, watched inane TV about or fantasised about). So, to read all the drivel posted (in the main) by people - on another forum I could name - that have never even lived in Oz brings about this reaction.

Of course, people learn from their own mistakes. I did eventually and left Oz. One mistake I made was not to have high hopes for Oz when I arrived there; I would have left sooner. Yes, we had the large house, the swimming pool and all that boll**ks - but they only deaden the senses for a short while. In the end, these things mean nothing. And now, for many people, even these things are increasingly out of reach. Well, unless you want to live in Woollloooommoogoopooolo along with the killer snakes and where the local industry is inbreeding (see Hutch for more details).

For many of those that love to trash England and see Oz as the solution to their problems, they forget to look to where the problem often lies; themselves. Sure, if you live in some extremely dull and rainy part of Britain, where grannies compare knuckle tattoos and children can't play leap frog because they have rickets, perhaps Oz is the answer. Or Spain, or Greece, or (heaven forbid) another part of England... But, if it is to be Oz, don't forget to pack the SPF 1000+ and don't sell your house/flat/cardboard box until you're sure it's where you want to be.

One of the great myths that is occasionally mentioned on this site is 'if you don't like change you won't like Oz.' Crap. Oz is all about NO change. “In Howard’s Australia,” observed the writer Kathy Marks, “prejudice lurks, intolerance thrives and sameness is celebrated.”

If the Daily Mail created a country it would be named Australia. So, on the positive side, one more narrow-minded, bigoted Daily Mail reader in Oz is one less here.

And, for that, I love Australia.
Old May 18th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why I love Australia

Originally Posted by MikeStanton

One of the great myths that is occasionally mentioned on this site is 'if you don't like change you won't like Oz.' Crap. Oz is all about NO change. “In Howard’s Australia,” observed the writer Kathy Marks, “prejudice lurks, intolerance thrives and sameness is celebrated.” .

yes i find that strange that people expect you to change to fit into a circumstance. Of course we should, but only an idiot would do so for a change for the worse. Only change if its for your better. Why change otherwise? If you look at Australia, the personality and like what you see, go for it and it'll be great. If you dont like what it makes you become - get out.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:35 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Why I love Australia

Alright Mike - how goes it? Quality post as ever.

Cheers.
Old May 18th 2007, 3:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

"Why I love Australia" by Mike Stanton.....a contender for the prize for the shortest thread in history?
Old May 18th 2007, 3:48 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Well, unless you want to live in Woollloooommoogoopooolo along with the killer snakes and where the local industry is inbreeding (see Hutch for more details).
Back five minutes and already the insults start flying.

Speaks louder than any of your ignorant rhetoric.
Old May 20th 2007, 1:32 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Good reading Mike.
A lesson to be learned here for alot of us.
Old May 20th 2007, 2:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Good reading Mike.
A lesson to be learned here for alot of us.
In what? How to be an ignorant shit-stitter?
Old May 20th 2007, 2:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
In what? How to be an ignorant shit-stitter?
Are you happy in Oz or are you intending to return to the UK?
Old May 20th 2007, 2:41 am
Australia's Doorman

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Are you happy in Oz or are you intending to return to the UK?
I enjoy my life here - but who knows what the future holds. If you're building up to some "This is the moving back forum for people that are moving back..." speech than save your breath. If someone slags me off, completely unprovoked, for no reason whatsoever, then I think I deserve a right to reply. I find it unbelievable that Stanton is allowed to spout this invective and get away with it. Replace 'UK' for Australia in his little diatribe and post it elsewhere on this site and it would stir up a shit-storm of unholy proportions ... yet because it's in here it's somehow okay. What's doubly ironic is that Harpenden's leading-light will be returning to Australia for work purposes ...
Old May 20th 2007, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I find it unbelievable that Stanton is allowed to spout this invective and get away with it. ............. What's doubly ironic is that Harpenden's leading-light will be returning to Australia for work purposes ...

Although I dont always agree with every thing Hutch says, here he is right. Mikes post was good...but it could of stood alone as a good post without any personal insults, so if I was Hutch I'd want to defend myself too.
BTW who's Harpendens leading light?
(Its the previous post where you said you'd go back if your wife was unhappy - made me all gooey for you!)
Old May 20th 2007, 11:31 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chance to be
Although I dont always agree with every thing Hutch says, here he is right. Mikes post was good...but it could of stood alone as a good post without any personal insults, so if I was Hutch I'd want to defend myself too.
BTW who's Harpendens leading light?
(Its the previous post where you said you'd go back if your wife was unhappy - made me all gooey for you!)
I agree. Hutch usually posts something worth reading and especially when he would be prepared to put his wife and his sons happiness before his own....awwww shucks....what a guy
Old May 21st 2007, 12:10 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing constructive here, not really sure of the OP's intention in starting it, and as such I am closing it.