Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why was it a harder decision to go home than to emigrate? Or was it easier?

Why was it a harder decision to go home than to emigrate? Or was it easier?

Old May 22nd 2005, 6:25 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why was it a harder decision to go home than to emigrate? Or was it easier?

Some returnees have said that the decision to go home was “harder” than the decision to emigrate. If it was a hard decision – why was it hard? Was it because it was the end of a “dream”, or was it financial, or some other reason? Or, perhaps it was an easy decision? And if so…why?

Personally speaking, I could think of nothing easier than deciding to go back to a place I call HOME, have free access to all our relatives, a beautiful country (ok…not perfect…admit there are problems, but there’s those everywhere) with lots of things to see and do, and have the advantage of cheap and easy travel to Europe?
Old May 22nd 2005, 9:26 am
Merlot

Default Re: Why was it a “harder” decision to go home than to emigrate? Or was it easier?

Originally Posted by kendodd
Some returnees have said that the decision to go home was “harder” than the decision to emigrate. If it was a hard decision – why was it hard? Was it because it was the end of a “dream”, or was it financial, or some other reason? Or, perhaps it was an easy decision? And if so…why?

Personally speaking, I could think of nothing easier than deciding to go back to a place I call HOME, have free access to all our relatives, a beautiful country (ok…not perfect…admit there are problems, but there’s those everywhere) with lots of things to see and do, and have the advantage of cheap and easy travel to Europe?
Mine was different, I went to Oz for a 12 month stay on a working holiday visa with a rucksack.

7 years later came back with husband, cat and 13 boxes of possessions.

Had lots of ups and downs along the way, Australia and UK, neither place brings complete utopia!

My experience in life is go with what makes you happy, everyone else really don't matter.

M

Old May 22nd 2005, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why was it a “harder” decision to go home than to emigrate? Or was it easier?

I think all our decisions were hard, from UK to Aus and back. I can understand why people say it's a harder decision to move back.

After a few years we got settled into our Australian way of life and the thought of moving again and all the hard work involved was awful. We knew that we'd have to stay with relatives for a few weeks, find a house / job, get the children back into school, all that is hard work and unsettling for everyone.

The Australian way of life (for us in Perth) was easy, laid back, quite stress free so we knew we'd have to get ourselves highly motivated again to settle back in England, alot of Expats just don't want that hassle, it's easier to just keep plodding on, but we didn't want to plod on year after year and regretting not moving back sooner.

Hope that makes sense!
Old May 22nd 2005, 6:07 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Yes for me to it was an easier decision to return than to go.

We decided to go to Perth and then I decided I didn't want to go. We then went on a holiday to Fortuventura and talked a lot about a new lifestyle in Oz. Typically really that when we were in the holiday mood all the talk about life in Australia came flooding back and it was on the cards again. How daft of us really but thats the way it goes. Some see life abroad near the sea as a 'holiday lifestyle' but couldn't be further from the truth..oh well.

so in answer to your question, for us it was far easier to return.
Old May 22nd 2005, 8:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't this depend on what your reasons for leaving were?

I'm strongly of the view that anyone planning to migrate should think hard about the pros and cons *before* uprooting themselves.

And if you still decide to migrate, give your new country a chance.

Jeremy
Old May 22nd 2005, 8:35 pm
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

For us it was a harder decision to reurn to the uk because when you first decide to emigrate there is always going to be a ticket home, but should returning home be the wrong decision (as it has turned out) there seems little chance of turning round and doing all again.. When we first went to oz, i should imagine like everyone, we said 'if it doesn't work out we can always go home' well, when contemplating going home it makes you more wary of making mistakes because the cost, both financialy and emotionaly, is always greater on the return trip.

We are just mad and have decided that yes, we did do a wrong turn and come back to the uk so we are going back to oz asap.

Louise
Old May 24th 2005, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

For us it's a much, much harder decision to go back home. So much at stake. Husband will go from a v good job in the US to unemployment in the UK, we'll never have the lifestyle in the UK that we have here, and heck there's the sunshine to consider too
Old May 25th 2005, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

The Undecided Scot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lizzi
For us it's a much, much harder decision to go back home. So much at stake. Husband will go from a v good job in the US to unemployment in the UK, we'll never have the lifestyle in the UK that we have here, and heck there's the sunshine to consider too
Hi Lizzi

Just a quick hello. wondering how things are going with you and what if any decisions you have made.

Things here are a bit up in the air. Hubby is waiting to hear about two other jobs in Scotland before we now decide about US. Things here seem to be changing month to month.

I just thought I would drop you a note to see if you had made any decisions.

Take Care
Trisha
Old May 25th 2005, 12:59 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Thats the same for us, now we have decided to do it (and I know its the "right" decision) we are a bit nervous about it.
Good luck
Rob
Old May 25th 2005, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Doesn't this depend on what your reasons for leaving were?

I'm strongly of the view that anyone planning to migrate should think hard about the pros and cons *before* uprooting themselves.

And if you still decide to migrate, give your new country a chance.

Jeremy
Wise words, and maybe take a few risks, lead from the heart and do what you feel is right. If you don't like it here, go back, if you do, stay. The point is, do what you want to do. Don't listen to the bullshitting, been there, done it campaigners that feel that just coz they can't afford a flight back to the UK that everybody else must suffer !!!

There, I feel better now. I love you all.....
Jeez JAJ cheer up man !!!
Old May 26th 2005, 7:38 pm
Banned

leedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to allleedsPaddy is a name known to all
Default Re: Why was it a ?harder? decision to go home than to emigrate? Or was it easier?

Some returnees have said that the decision to go home was ?harder? than the decision to emigrate. If it was a hard decision ? why was it hard? Was it because it was the end of a ?dream?, or was it financial, or some other reason? Or, perhaps it was an easy decision? And if so?why?

Personally speaking, I could think of nothing easier than deciding to go back to a place I call HOME, have free access to all our relatives, a beautiful country (ok?not perfect?admit there are problems, but there?s those everywhere) with lots of things to see and do, and have the advantage of cheap and easy travel to Europe?
Well I haven't made any decision about moving back to the UK and I probably never will as I love it too much in the USA. However I do miss the UK from time to time but unless my kids want to go to University in the UK, there is no way anyone is dragging me away from the beautiful mountains of Vermont
Old May 27th 2005, 2:41 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Merlot
My experience in life is go with what makes you happy, everyone else really don't matter.
M
Great philosophy!!! It works for me!!