Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why on earth would you want to move back to the UK?

Why on earth would you want to move back to the UK?

Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bromleygirl
thanks all the same but Canada can keep the cold and snow - i've had enough wondering each day if my daughters nursery school will be open or if we will have a snow day. I'm fed up to my back teeth of -20 degree actual temp and windchills that make it feel -50.

I'll take the rain and moderate temps in the UK anytime!
Each to there own. After a few years of crisp sunny winter days in Canada, the drizlle and general greyness in the UK would drive me crazy pretty quickly, along with everyone living in close confinement.

For the record the average Jan and Feb temps in Minneapolis MN are -10 and -7C (see, its warming up, spring is just around the corner)
Average in Toronto ONT are -6 and -5C, so statistically (should that be Sadistically?) speaking Canada is actually a little warmer than where you are at the moment

But as I said, each to their own.

Iain
Old Feb 26th 2004, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Cykotronic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by iaink
If you dont want all the well documented drizzle and dourness then try Canada , USA lite, all the goodstuff of the USA, but only 1% of the bad

Iain

Good lord, this is a joke, right?
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:15 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Cykotronic
Good lord, this is a joke, right?
Nope, not from where I am sitting. Although it is meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.

Iain
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Cykotronic is an unknown quantity at this point

Nope, not from where I am sitting. Although it is meant to be a bit tongue in cheek.

Iain
I'd like to know where you're sitting then because I don't see it the same way at all. Unlike you, I've lived in both Canada and the US for over 10 years each and I wouldn't say that Canada has "all the good stuff and 1% of the bad". That's just a silly statement to make.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Each to there own. After a few years of crisp sunny winter days in Canada, the drizlle and general greyness in the UK would drive me crazy pretty quickly, along with everyone living in close confinement.

Iain

The grey drizzle occurs in the US too in Seattle for instance but I understand that people take therapy for depression.

I grew up in Lancashire where there is still greyness and drizzle but no therapy from what I understand unless you count the local pub of course.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by Alexandra
You see, it's a matter of personal preference. For me, it's annoying when I get police warning for simply enjoying a glass of wine with my friends and family. The line should be drawn between 'drunk and disorderly' and 'enjoying a glass of wine', IMHO.

Couldnt you of just drank the wine using paper cups or something and kept the wine out of view, thats what most people here tend to do.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Spongebob
Couldnt you of just drank the wine using paper cups or something and kept the wine out of view, thats what most people here tend to do.
No, I couldn't. Why? Were we doing anything bad, disorderly, bothered other people around us? Why should we hide? We were two families with kids, on a day out, why should we hide everything, it's humiliating. IMHO.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

No, I couldn't. Why? Were we doing anything bad, disorderly, bothered other people around us? Why should we hide? We were two families with kids, on a day out, why should we hide everything, it's humiliating. IMHO.
Well if you had kept the wine out of view then you wouldnt of been pulled up by the law and you wouldnt of felt humiliated.

Didnt you know that you cant drink alcohol in public in Canada ?

The first 2 weeks I arrived in Canada I went to a works do and I started drinking beer straight from the can and our friends told us that it was illegal. Wasnt a big problem, didnt get upset just accepted it as one of there laws and did what every other canadian does and used a plastic cup.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't even imagine that one wouldn't be allowed to have a family picnic with a glass of wine, seems inconceivable to me. As I said, it's a matter of personal preference. I am not an alcoholic, and I don't see the reason why I should hide the bottle of wine, after all, I don't have a problem. You are OK with concealed drinking, good for you. For me, this is humiliating, not a policeman giving a warning.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 4:39 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

At Bondi Beach there is a ban on drinking in public but it is rarely enforced. It only affects yobs and backpackers who think it is great to brink a case of bear to the beach and drown.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't even imagine that one wouldn't be allowed to have a family picnic with a glass of wine, seems inconceivable to me. As I said, it's a matter of personal preference. I am not an alcoholic, and I don't see the reason why I should hide the bottle of wine, after all, I don't have a problem. You are OK with concealed drinking, good for you. For me, this is humiliating, not a policeman giving a warning.
I agree it seems silly to give someone a warning for drinking wine on a picnic. However were does this end? Give an inch and they'll take a mile as the saying goes. You might be responsible, others aren't. Next you have gangs of youths swigging lager and getting rowdy (as is the case in Britain). Sorry I can sort of understand this law. The reason disorder in Britain is increasingly serious is exactly because the authorities let things go. They don't even care if people smoke Cannabis on the street now. Were will it end? It's a slippery slope.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Spongebob

Didnt you know that you cant drink alcohol in public in Canada ?

You can't drink alcohol on a public property but you can drink outside in public view in a private Bar, your own property, or Cafe Patio etc.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by flashman
You can't drink alcohol on a public property but you can drink outside in public view in a private Bar, your own property, or Cafe Patio etc.
Mmm, don't see the problem myself. I can't say I've ever drank alcohol outside in my entire life. Apart from outside a bar or restaurant.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

JayJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Each to there own.

the drizlle and general greyness in the UK would drive me crazy pretty quickly, along with everyone living in close confinement.

But as I said, each to their own.

Iain
I'm not picking on your post especially but there are many posters highlighting overcrowding in UK, which is definitely true of Inner Cities, but still plenty of places not crowded at all.

Just to put a different perspective.............

Fact Sheet 2
World Population
Isle of Wight v. Isle of Man

The question is often asked “Can the whole of the world’s population be fitted onto the Isle of Wight or the Isle of Man ?

The UN World Population Counter on 11th February 2002 at 9.20 am was 6,204,850,174 people, 30% of whom are under the age of 15.

So, there are 4,343,395,122 adults and 1,861,455,052 children.

For every obese American and European there are at least 10 under-nourished adults in the world, so one average adult can comfortably stand on a rectangle 500 cm wide by 400 cm deep (= 0.2 square metres), with the average child occupying half that area.

Therefore:-

4,343,395,122 adults x 0.2 sq. m = 868,679,024 sq.m
1,861,455,052 children x 0.1 = 186,145,505 sq.m
__________________________ _______________
Total area needed = 1,054,824,529 sq.m

= 1,054 sq km.

The Isle of Man is 588 sq.km
The Isle of Wight is 381 sq.km

making a total of 969 sq.km for both. We can easily gain another 85 sq.km by using the beaches at low tide.

Conclusion:

1. It is not possible to fit the world's population on either the Isle of Man or the Isle of Wight.
2. It would be possible to fit the world's population on both islands, at low tide.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by JayJay

For every obese American and European there are at least 10 under-nourished adults in the world, so one average adult can comfortably stand on a rectangle 500 cm wide by 400 cm deep (= 0.2 square metres), with the average child occupying half that area.

Can you call that living when you have to shit standing up?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.