Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why on earth would you want to move back to the UK?

Why on earth would you want to move back to the UK?

Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:22 am
Just Joined

leedspaddy1971 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why on earth would you want to move back to the UK?

Hey folks,
before you guys start criticising me for my view, I just wanted to say that not only am I proud to be British but also I love and miss the UK just as much as the next person. However, I have made a new life here in the USA and after reading some of the other posts on this forum can't understand why there are so many people desperate to get home!!!!!!!!!!! I love visiting my old country but I would never live there again on a permanent basis................Anyway, I was just curious as to people's reasons for moving back to OLD BLIGHTY!!!!!

paddy
Old Feb 25th 2004, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why on earth would you want to move back to the UK?

Originally posted by leedspaddy1971
Hey folks,
before you guys start criticising me for my view, I just wanted to say that not only am I proud to be British but also I love and miss the UK just as much as the next person. However, I have made a new life here in the USA and after reading some of the other posts on this forum can't understand why there are so many people desperate to get home!!!!!!!!!!! I love visiting my old country but I would never live there again on a permanent basis................Anyway, I was just curious as to people's reasons for moving back to OLD BLIGHTY!!!!!

paddy
Paddy, thread with very similar title was done just recently, try a search.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 2:15 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

i guess horses for courses.. suits some not others....

where are you in america? i feel that oz is sooo far away.... maybe thats got something to do with it... people are mainly leaving for family, work opps etc etc... kids education.... you may not have to face those problems as much in the US... but ive never lived there so i couldnt compare....

also - it seems like you have an american partner and her family - makes a difference also.....
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

I kind of don't understand why there are so many people asking this question. Maybe you can explain it to me and I'll try to understand. But if you are happy wherever you are, why would you care about anybody moving back to UK? Honestly, I don't get it. You clearly just asking a question without trying to offend anyone, but there were others that were quite insulting about it, constantly posting negative info about UK as well with titles like: Are you going back for this? When we first moved to Canada, I wouldn't care less why somebody else is moving back to UK. My life is mine and theirs is theirs. Everyone gets a different deal, right? Now we are moving back and I would state my reasons for doing so only when I am asked (and still I got a lot of stick for this). The only reason: it's our decision, our life, everyone's situation turns out differently.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:26 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

alex - i totally agree....

it wouldnt really cross my mind to go and ask someone on the 'leaving' forum why on earth are they leaving uk to come to oz! all we were doing was experiencing different things in life - its not like cause we left ' we cant go back' and if we do go back WHY?

i may live in 20 other countries before i settle if the opportunities arise......

i never left uk because i disliked it - in fact i nearly didnt come to oz - i was happy in london - but decided that i should take the opportunity!

i know someone back home who live in canada, us and australia.... he went back home each time.....
everytime i see him he says dont come back - your better off where you were... but, he came back 3 times!

so he may think your better out of uk but if the other 3 countries were so great why did he leave those! its because the grass is always greener of course!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh, Jat. Just to think about London makes me weak at the knees. You are lucky, you have a moving date already. I don't, got to sell the house first. Hoping for the end of April at the very last.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:52 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

london - i cant wait....i cant wait to get to covent garden, walking around.... ill be like a little kid.... may stop off in london when i get to uk....

where do you think in london we should meet? - im just bored and thinking of what ill be doing.....

think ill be arriving early june...
Old Feb 25th 2004, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Who cares where we would meet? How about getting a bottle of bubbly and settling in Hyde Park? I remember once my half and I decided to half a romantic picnic there, took a day off, sent the kid to school, popped to M&S in Marble Arch for some food and drink, and the old lady there made such a fuss about us: ooh, you are having a picnic, oooh, let's me get you cold champagne, oooh, don't forget your cutlery. It was just soooooo sweet and sincere. And seeing that UK doesn't have draconic ridiculous 'no-drinking-in-public' laws, we'll be safe. Going for it?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:02 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

absolutely - count me in!

cant wait!

your going back to london to live arnt you?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Totally. And we are planning to rent around Hyde Park, to hell with the money, we'll get by.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh, one more thing: you'd be able to easily recognise us by the presence of drop-dead gorgeous, huge, white, fluffy dog.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:07 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

how cool...

i would love a golden lab! used to live in chiswick and depending on job sit.. could end up back in london which to be honest would be cool!

not sure if the jobs are that easy to get up in edinburgh... also dont know if edinburgh is big enough!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Jat, you'll get a job wherever you go, don't you worry. Comes to think about it, you won't recognise us by the dog, the poor thing will be in quarantine till end of September. On the other hand: his own room, his own maid (!), his own dog run, regular grooming.... maybe I wouldn't mind to stay there. You should have seen the questionnaire the quarantine facility sent me: does he mind being groomed? does he mind other dogs? If yes, which breeds? does he mind being washed? does he like to play? Jeez, somebody should take care of me that way one day.
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Lany is on a distinguished road

You lot are so lucky to be going back to uk!! I am sooo jealous. I had a dream last night that I was home in Belfast for a holiday and it was brilliant visiting all my old places...then I woke up and I honestly could've cried that it had just been a dream...

I really hope that I can get a trip home in the summer...would give me something to work towards
Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Why on earth would you want to move back to the UK?

Originally posted by leedspaddy1971
Hey folks,

paddy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paddy

We share the same name I see!

I also don't fancy going back to the UK to live, (Ireland.....well thats a different story!), however:

A few people can't wait to get back home, fair enough really, there are many reasons why people want to go back.

The UK does offer quite a few advantages in terms of high salaries than say Canada, Oz or NZ etc.

The weather is actually very ' temperate' and after being in extream heat or cold, being an a 'comfortable' climate is often very attractive.

Others just miss family and freinds and that is also a very good reason to want to go back.

I guess it all boils down to that personal experience, some love it some hate it type thing!

Personally I don't want to go back to live, although I will always want to visit the UK for holidays. Having said that, I don't think it would be fair to argue against anyone wanting to return......only they know what is right for them.

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.