Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why do you never hear about those that return

Why do you never hear about those that return

Old Jan 16th 2006, 1:11 am
Just Joined

ABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant future
Default Why do you never hear about those that return

Why is it that back in the UK you never hear about those that have emigrated but then returned (whatever the reason). Before I came out here all I ever heard of was those that were living the dream in Canada/Australia/New Zealand... Do we all return to the UK and then go into a shameful underworld where the experience can not be mentioned?

I will certainly be happy to talk about my experience here in Australia (I've had a good one ) and would never dissuade anyone from doing the same, but I would also highlight the realities of such a venture and that (gosh dare I say it) people do return.

I just wondered does anyone feel the same?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Crispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond reputeCrispyuk88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why do you never hear about those that return

They have nothing to moan about. Probably have a life to live and are having way to much fun enjoying it! Why would youtake a time out and post on an internet forum!?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:27 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

I came back to from Oz and am fine with talking about it. I feel no shame in coming back. I still pop into this forum and see how everyone is doing.

I love to read how people feel when they return.

I think we come back in "batches" I came home when approx 4 other posters did and we put our experiences up on this forum and now 15 mnths have passed since I came home and I don't want go into the details of why I came home.....not because I feel shame because that time has passed and I don't want to keep going on about it this far down the line.

I am happy to tell people why if they ask but prefer just to "listen" to others who are having thoughts about moving back.

Another reality is that some people return only to find that what they "thought" they missed no longer exists and they happily pack their bags and head back out to Oz..!!It's like they have to come back to see for themselves before they can definately make their choice of which country to live in.

Good and bad in both as there is in every country!!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Why do you never hear about those that return

Hi

We came back from Perth just before Christmas and I am happy to talk about it too, its early days yet but so far we are doing ok. This is our second time returning to UK and I am certainly not ashamed of it at all, its been an experience that I wouldn't have missed for the world as I think Australia has a lot to offer and so does the UK.

We certainly are not living in an underworld, as Pants has said we just want to get on with the future not keep revisiting the past.

Plants
Old Jan 16th 2006, 7:36 am
Just Joined

ABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pants
I came back to from Oz and am fine with talking about it. I feel no shame in coming back. I still pop into this forum and see how everyone is doing.

I think we come back in "batches" I came home when approx 4 other posters did and we put our experiences up on this forum and now 15 mnths have passed since I came home and I don't want go into the details of why I came home.....not because I feel shame because that time has passed and I don't want to keep going on about it this far down the line.

I am happy to tell people why if they ask but prefer just to "listen" to others who are having thoughts about moving back.

Another reality is that some people return only to find that what they "thought" they missed no longer exists and they happily pack their bags and head back out to Oz..!!It's like they have to come back to see for themselves before they can definately make their choice of which country to live in.

You are probably right. I had to ask this, since I seem to know more people out here that want to go back or who are preparing to go back, thinking of going back, wishing to go back or who have gone back, than those who have stayed. Perhaps it is just my social circle (Sydney). But it is like they become the 'disappeared' once they get back to the UK, because before I came out I did not meet anyone or hear of anyone who had returned. I would have loved to have had a chat with someone who had done this trip before I came out (I did not know about this site at the time). It would not have changed my mind, but would have given me a different perspective. It just seems strange to me.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 8:26 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

hi

you will find a lot of people on this forum who have already moved back. i think its lovely that they still keep in contact as it makes those of us deciding to go back feel better about our decision when we hear that they are happy.

ive noticed since i've been here, I'd say half the people i know who moved out about the same time as me (within a year say) are going back to the uk. thats a huge statistic!!!....but in the uk, i never heard people say "oh i gave it a go but it wasnt for me etc..."

maybe i just didnt want to listen at the time.....!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:27 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABOD
You are probably right. I had to ask this, since I seem to know more people out here that want to go back or who are preparing to go back, thinking of going back, wishing to go back or who have gone back, than those who have stayed. Perhaps it is just my social circle (Sydney). But it is like they become the 'disappeared' once they get back to the UK, because before I came out I did not meet anyone or hear of anyone who had returned. I would have loved to have had a chat with someone who had done this trip before I came out (I did not know about this site at the time). It would not have changed my mind, but would have given me a different perspective. It just seems strange to me.
You know I only found this forum when I lived in Oz and the decision to come back had been made. I too never knew anyone who had done this before but then I don't have any frineds who married an Aussie either...my mates used to joke saying "for god's sake P why the hell couldn't you have fallen for a guy who lived closer to the UK...."..but thats love I guess....!!

So how long have you been out there? what part of Sydney?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold

we came back to the UK after 3 months in canada, we we're out there on the provincial nominee program hubby's a truck driver, we we're living in Sask, nothing on the planet can prepare you for the culture shock it's like stepping back in time, we decided that neither the job the company or the country we're for us, so we came back.
I still like to read the posts on the board, it's interesting to see if others have gone through and are about to go through the same experience's, one thing I've found out is we are all similar and seek the better life.
We had so many saying how sorry they we're that thing's didn't work out, we're not sorry and have no regrets
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:15 am
Live the moment

We had so many saying how sorry they we're that thing's didn't work out, we're not sorry and have no regrets[/QUOTE]

thats it isn't it..I never had any regrets about going..in fact I am glad I did as not many have that chance do they!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Been back 18 months now. Still come in here and have a read to see how others are doing. I do post helpful stuff when I get time and the odd update.

It does get a bit tedious after a while having to type the same story over and over again about our experience and reason for returning though... LOL So I tend to just scoot over that bit and stay in today...

Can't keep harping on about the past, but can enjoy today and help others out if I can.

Life is good, even as a knackered NHS nurse working shifts... Hahahah. Oh but Malibu beach does call me in my dreams...
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:22 am
Live the moment

Originally Posted by honeymommy
Been back 18 months now. Still come in here and have a read to see how others are doing. I do post helpful stuff when I get time and the odd update.

It does get a bit tedious after a while having to type the same story over and over again about our experience and reason for returning though... LOL So I tend to just scoot over that bit and stay in today...

Can't keep harping on about the past, but can enjoy today and help others out if I can.

Life is good, even as a knackered NHS nurse working shifts... Hahahah. Oh but Malibu beach does call me in my dreams...

Hiya HM

I dream of Kiama in Oz....I am so sad that I check out the Oz webcams and look at everyone enjoying themselves in the sea whilst I sit here with my prawn sarnie looking outside at the dreary weather...!!!Hey ho....!!!
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:44 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very happy to be back. I dont post so much anymore as all have heard my very long story many times! Also I am so busy now actually living that I dont sit all day on the forum dreaming of being home. I do like to read through when I get time To see how others are doing and just in case I can be of any help to someone as everybody on this forum were so helpful to me.
I dont talk to much about it day in and day out with people here as its too long to explain it all. But as I occasionally hear people talk about how nice it would be to live in Oz, NZ, the USA etc... for the sunshine I just think to myself ..you have NO idea....
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:57 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
I'm very happy to be back. I dont post so much anymore as all have heard my very long story many times! Also I am so busy now actually living that I dont sit all day on the forum dreaming of being home. I do like to read through when I get time To see how others are doing and just in case I can be of any help to someone as everybody on this forum were so helpful to me.
I dont talk to much about it day in and day out with people here as its too long to explain it all. But as I occasionally hear people talk about how nice it would be to live in Oz, NZ, the USA etc... for the sunshine I just think to myself ..you have NO idea....
And being helpful by bursting their bubble is just not appreciated.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 3:00 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pants

Ditto this one, you just get back into the groove of life in the UK.

I pop back on because I am nosey and we are heading back to Australia in July 2007 (after much, much debate) So look in on the Australian Forum to help with research and a bit of a yarn.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Ditto this one, you just get back into the groove of life in the UK.

I pop back on because I am nosey and we are heading back to Australia in July 2007 (after much, much debate) So look in on the Australian Forum to help with research and a bit of a yarn.
What!!!You going back??
How come??? Sorry if I'm to nosy , but I had the impression that you where happy to be back..or did I got something wrong??
It can be a bit like a Jojo, go to oz...miss family and friends, dont like some things in oz anyhow...come back to UK...happy first, but then same things there you left for..back to Oz...things have not change there either...and so on??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.