Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

WHY did you want to leave UK so much?!?

Wikiposts

Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WHY did you want to leave UK so much?!?

Originally Posted by Gettingtheflipout
...but if you aren't born to the NE weather (ie, have no problem with going for a jog at 5 in the morning before work starts at 8 (what is it with vermont and 8am starts?!) in pitch black and the wind so cold your tear ducts and nasel hairs freeze), or love winter sports ...
Yeah my wife (from New England) calls the freezing nasal hairs 'Snotsicles' (like snot icicles).
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

needasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really nice

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
Being just South of 'Gettingtheflipout' in Southern New Hampshire, I totally agree. Word to the wise for anyone considering moving to the Boston/New England area, is to strongly consider the weather.

Like 'Gettingtheflipout' says, the winters are endless. Shoveling snow is fun the first few times. But after you've been doing it day in, day out for five months, just to get in your driveway or receive the mail (because the mailman won't bother with your house if you have snow on your steps), it gets really old. Then you have a month (if you're lucky) of weather that you can actually go outside in (without wellies, big coats, and wooly hats). All the trees pop leaves and it's Spring. You quickly get the house fixed up for next winter and garden sorted. The garden just starts to look good when it gets unbearably hot and humid, with torrential rains and heavy storms every few days, and you lose half your plants and flowers to the heat.

Then if you're lucky, in September it starts to cool off so you don't have to run the AC during the night to sleep comfortably. Hopefully we'll have a month or two of reasonable temps. What's left of the garden after the heat will come back until we start getting heavy frosts again in October. If we're lucky we won't see heavy snow until December. But that won't be gone until April and off we go again.

I've only been here since 2002 and I've seen heavy snowfalls as early as late September and as late as my Mum's birthday, May 25th.

Like I said, anyone considering a move to this area should think about the weather situation with eyes wide open. And if you're into any kind of outdoor activity, know that your activity period will be a lot shorter.
lol you just described Ontario!
Old Aug 27th 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Jandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really nice

Just wondering what it was that wanted anyone else want to leave the UK so much?[/QUOTE]

I didn't particularly desperately feel the need to leave. It was an opportunity, and option that kept rearing it's head and I was too scared to do it but too scared not to..................so we did it. And in so many ways I regret it.

I am still weighing up what I lost to what I have gained.............they remain neck and neck. I don't yet feel I am at all better off personally, emotionally, financially, professionally...........but i have experienced being bitten by a jellyfish and 44.4 degree heat at Christmas. Should I be thankful????...........not sure.

This IS NOT my final resting place. I will return.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:38 am
Just Joined

coolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jandysi

I didn't particularly desperately feel the need to leave. It was an opportunity, and option that kept rearing it's head and I was too scared to do it but too scared not to..................so we did it. And in so many ways I regret it.

I am still weighing up what I lost to what I have gained.............they remain neck and neck. I don't yet feel I am at all better off personally, emotionally, financially, professionally...........but i have experienced being bitten by a jellyfish and 44.4 degree heat at Christmas. Should I be thankful????...........not sure.

This IS NOT my final resting place. I will return.

Where do you hail from now? what career did you choose that was so bad?
Old Aug 28th 2008, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Jandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really nice

Originally Posted by coolio_carl
Where do you hail from now? what career did you choose that was so bad?
In boring old Perth now as a bored stay at home Mum after coming from Bournemouth with a job in air traffic and a life balance that was pretty bloody good and my family close by. Now i have family close by, but they're in laws and I can't call on them like I did my own parents or brother.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 7:28 am
Banned

Dukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant future

Went for work in Canada, as out of work in uk with no benefit left. freinds helped me get in, what a mistake. Work to hard here, miss the Pubs, no good curry houses either, beer weak like nats water, could go on and on just want to go home fed up. All they talk about here is money and there big houses and cars, well they can keep it all. I even miss the rain, little rain here in summer also to hot cant move at 30. What I give for a good curry and a few pints of real manchester ale.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

needasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really niceneedasmack is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dukie
Went for work in Canada, as out of work in uk with no benefit left. freinds helped me get in, what a mistake. Work to hard here, miss the Pubs, no good curry houses either, beer weak like nats water, could go on and on just want to go home fed up. All they talk about here is money and there big houses and cars, well they can keep it all. I even miss the rain, little rain here in summer also to hot cant move at 30. What I give for a good curry and a few pints of real manchester ale.

where are ya in canuck land?
Old Aug 30th 2008, 9:47 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Because I hated the yob & binge drinking culture that the UK has.
I also had a sneaky feeling that the housing market was about to explode so we decided to jump ship before it sank.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 10:37 am
Banned

Dukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant futureDukie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Danny B
Because I hated the yob & binge drinking culture that the UK has.
I also had a sneaky feeling that the housing market was about to explode so we decided to jump ship before it sank.
At least in teh UK people can hold there drink. Candians cant drink worth shite.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 11:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by needasmack
where are ya in canuck land?
Im in this hellhole called calgary. nothing to do here. no proper pubs no clubs worth shite. cant drink outside, get a ticket if youve got beer in the bloody parks how lame is that then? think the mountins are great and ooo look at our clean city, it boring. these people need a life and see manchester for a great city. if they went to manchester and had the beer and a curry, theyd never go back to canada. manchester would be invaded by candians, but they would soon go back, to prissy for the greatest city in the world with the geatest football team..go the blues!!!! oh how I miss it
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:47 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

At least in teh UK people can hold there drink. Candians cant drink worth shite.
I rest my case.

Thank God Canadians don't have this vile "drink to your drunk" mentality.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:18 am
Just Joined

coolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nicecoolio_carl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Danny B
I rest my case.

Thank God Canadians don't have this vile "drink to your drunk" mentality.
There there dear, we can't help it if we like to have fun by enjoying a little tipple and a dance
Old Aug 31st 2008, 5:25 am
Banned

There there dear, we can't help it if we like to have fun by enjoying a little tipple and a dance
exactly. nothing wrong in getting drunk on the weekend, except if your in this naff place canada. shtty beer, no proper pubs, no curry houses and cops who will close your house party down at midnight if any ignorant no life neighbour complians to them. no tolerence here. was rafting in the city and a cop made me throw away my beer and took all the unopend ones to. said you cant drink in public. can you believe that? arse of the world. cant wait to get back to manchester at least its civilized an people are not so ingnorant.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 1:23 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Went for work in Canada, as out of work in uk with no benefit left. freinds helped me get in, what a mistake. Work to hard here, miss the Pubs, no good curry houses either, beer weak like nats water, could go on and on just want to go home fed up.
Never perhaps wondered why?

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Aug 31st 2008 at 1:28 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2008, 8:56 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure the UK certainly is'nt perfect, but for the past 6 year I had been hell bent on getting out of here and getting to Australia to start a new life. Towards the end I was trying to find any excuse to slag off the UK, I suppose to justify what a massive life changing thing I was about to do.
Now I realise the home really is where the heart is.(see thread "Moving to Oz from a gay point of view. Dislikes of Australia and why we came back" ) I'm in £10'000 worth of debt but I do believe it was worth it as I now have Australia out of my system and will never slag my country off about anything again... well apart from the weather! haha

Just wondering what it was that wanted anyone else want to leave the UK so much?

Pretty much the same as you. I thought there was something "better" out there. Sometimes you don't know what you've got - or how lucky you are - until it's GONE! It's just "somewhere else to live" - that's all.

Life is life - wherever you are!

But yes - it was an expensive lesson to learn - but it was worth it!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.