Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

why did we wait to go home?

why did we wait to go home?

Old Mar 3rd 2003, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

joebloggs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default why did we wait to go home?

As an ex expat (moved back to Edinburgh last summer) I recently discovered this site and have been quite interested for the last few days reading up on the different threads.
As I said we moved last summer and at the time were unsure we were doing the right thing. Although my wife and I were increasingly home-sick for Scotland (five years in OZ) we also weren't sure how life back in the UK would be. However I have to say we have both been more than pleasantly surprised being back here. We're having a great old time of it.
Basically there's so much more to do here! We were in Perth and after the initial burst of enthusiasm after moving there life quickly settled back into quite a boring pattern. Also there was the whole family thing..not being near the folks, brothers sisters etc etc Thats probably the best thing of all...being back with the family, no long flights just to see the parents once a year if lucky.
We often hear talk about the whole quality of life thing, but honestly moving back was the right decision for us, yes housing is expensive but morgage rates are low and easy to get and frankly wages are pretty good too compared to OZ. And besides there's more to life than having a larger house.
All in all my wife and I are increasingly asking ourselves...why did we wait to come home? We should have plucked up our courage two or three years earlier and made the plunge.
Old Mar 3rd 2003, 9:14 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why did we wait to go home?

All in all my wife and I are increasingly asking ourselves...why did we wait to come home? We should have plucked up our courage two or three years earlier and made the plunge. [/QUOTE]

I'm asking myself the same question.
Old Mar 4th 2003, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: why did we wait to go home?

Originally posted by AndrewR
All in all my wife and I are increasingly asking ourselves...why did we wait to come home? We should have plucked up our courage two or three years earlier and made the plunge.

I'm asking myself the same question. [/QUOTE]

Why?
Old Mar 5th 2003, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

How true, I knew this place was not for me, but kept on giving it a fair go, getting more involved in Business schools etc. Before we knew it the kids were at a stage where it was education wise irresponsible to move them. Its easy to say just go back but often you get swept into things and before you know it the years are ticking away. Still we are to be uncommitted here within the year now. Just hope the aussie dollar keeps going up.