British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Why Australia has the most unhappy immigrants. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/why-australia-has-most-unhappy-immigrants-519910/)

Backhomeatlast Mar 7th 2008 6:33 pm

Why Australia has the most unhappy immigrants.

The recent Poll put the most unhappy Brits living in Australia.

I think I might have an answer.

Being working class myself I notice the majority of immigrants to Oz are like me working class coming mainly from the artisan side, those emigrating to the states and canada are in the majority from the middle class being management and highly skilled technicians etc who do earn higher wages and therefore do not struggle on lower wages of brickies sparkies etc..which does go a long way in making a more relaxed and happier lifestyle.

Just a thought.

Pugsy Mar 7th 2008 8:36 pm

Re: Why Australia has the most unhappy immigrants.

Think you're onto something there, plus I think people underestimate the costs involved in starting up home again and the sums of money i've heard quoted that people have taken with them seem way too low.

Fleaflyfloflum Mar 7th 2008 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast (Post 6031744)

Being working class myself I notice the majority of immigrants to Oz are like me working class coming mainly from the artisan side, those emigrating to the states and canada are in the majority from the middle class being management and highly skilled technicians etc who do earn higher wages and therefore do not struggle on lower wages of brickies sparkies etc..which does go a long way in making a more relaxed and happier lifestyle.

Just a thought.

Oye!!

Stop being a thread poacher or i'll spank your bottom!! :rofl:

Backhomeatlast Mar 7th 2008 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum (Post 6032173)
Oye!!

Stop being a thread poacher or i'll spank your bottom!! :rofl:

ohhhhhh nurse:D

livinginwa Mar 7th 2008 10:02 pm

disagree, i think its because they aren't really committed to moving away for good, and its easier to go back "home"

i know unhappy aussies who have moved states, so it depends on your expectations, first thing I hear pommies talk about is houses, property etc,,,,

not about setting themselves up for work, settling down, and how to get the best lifestyle and finding the happy medium with a balance of affordability and a great working life...

brits are greedy people on the whole...
and the internet prevents you getting on with your life..

just my say and thoughts..

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast (Post 6031744)

Just a thought.

fitz Mar 7th 2008 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by livinginwa (Post 6032404)
disagree, i think its because they aren't really committed to moving away for good, and its easier to go back "home"

i know unhappy aussies who have moved states, so it depends on your expectations, first thing I hear pommies talk about is houses, property etc,,,,

not about setting themselves up for work, settling down, and how to get the best lifestyle and finding the happy medium with a balance of affordability and a great working life...

you've been sitting in the sun too long because your statement is complete and utter drivel if i may say so.

just my thoughts,,,he,he,he

rabsody Mar 7th 2008 10:24 pm

Personally I think the number one reason is the distance. You can't get back and see everyone more than once every few years as a family of four unless you are loaded. For me this is the killer.

I also think it can lead to rose tints about the UK because you long to return but can't get back to check your memories against the reality (not saying that these two are necessarily misaligned but you can tend to filter out the bad stuff, otherwise why would so many pong back to Aus?).

Having said all that, funnily enough I wasn't homesick for three odd years until my first trip home.

Fleaflyfloflum Mar 7th 2008 10:40 pm

What a load of tripe (just my thoughts :D )

Brits are no more greedy than the truck load of Aussies mortgaging themselves to the hilt and running up humungous credit debt, along with Amercians, and most of the western world.

And i would hazard a guess that those who choose to go to the furthest most western country in the world away from UK would, in their own minds, have been more committed to moving away for good than any of the others seeing the distance compared to other places.Its the not liking it once they get there that is the problem!!!

jojosan Mar 7th 2008 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 6032477)
Personally I think the number one reason is the distance. You can't get back and see everyone more than once every few years as a family of four unless you are loaded. For me this is the killer.

I also think it can lead to rose tints about the UK because you long to return but can't get back to check your memories against the reality (not saying that these two are necessarily misaligned but you can tend to filter out the bad stuff, otherwise why would so many pong back to Aus?).

Having said all that, funnily enough I wasn't homesick for three odd years until my first trip home.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum (Post 6032537)
What a load of tripe (just my thoughts :D )

Brits are no more greedy than the truck load of Aussies mortgaging themselves to the hilt and running up humungous credit debt, along with Amercians, and most of the western world.

And i would hazard a guess that those who choose to go to the furthest most western country in the world away from UK would, in their own minds, have been more committed to moving away for good than any of the others seeing the distance compared to other places.Its the not liking it once they get there that is the problem!!!

Well said! :thumbsup:

quoll Mar 7th 2008 11:27 pm

One thing I do agree with is that the internet prevents you getting on with your life - I, for one, spend far too much time on it!!!

Actually the first thing you usually hear the Poms mention is the weather. I cannot believe the number who seem to think that if the sun shines every day then all their woes will be over!

I do disagree with your opening statement - I doubt anyone who makes the move over here and compleletly uproots themselves ever believe that they will be going back again.

I would also disagree that Poms are more greedy than anyone else - Australia seems to be the home of conspicuous consumerism and I would say that Aussies get the gold medal for that one - well, probably the silver, behind the US. I think maybe the Poms are a tad gullible - they believe the media hype of the Daily Fail and the seductive adverts of the Australian Tourist board and the two combined appeal to their sense of adventure and a genuine belief that they can make things better for themselves and their families by moving. It is what has always prompted the waves of migration over the years, why should now be any different?

It is sad really because what any country needs is those of its inhabitants who are prepared to work to make a difference to make their own country the place they want to live in - instead they throw up their hands in despair and flock to another place. The strongest, brightest, most adventurours and dedicated mob always head off leaving (and one hesitates to say this) the less enthused, more disaffected lot behind. However what they have is still appealing to the brightest, most dedicated inhabitants of other countries who want to make a difference in their lives and so they migrate to the country that the emigrants have left. It just goes round and round!

St.Georges Girl Mar 8th 2008 3:49 am

What you've just said is laughable so doesn't deserve a reply, but I am interested in whether you are a Brit or not, as in most of your very few posts, you are slagging off the British.

Backhomeatlast Mar 8th 2008 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Pugsy (Post 6032130)
Think you're onto something there, plus I think people underestimate the costs involved in starting up home again and the sums of money i've heard quoted that people have taken with them seem way too low.

Plus....not being to harsh I hope...Artisans like myself are in genera not quite as intelligent as the academics who generally move to the U.S.A. and have not r had the better contacts the the USA mob have had.

Just a thought.

kez81 Mar 8th 2008 1:19 pm

i think the problem with australia is the way it is hyped up too be something its not i came over with so much unrealistic expectations about this place i now realise it aint happening!!

My hubby in the other hands keeps telling me to give it time is 3 yrs not time enough , i wish he would get his head out the clouds and realise:(

My cousin died this morning of cancer aged just 34 this is another thing that makes me want to live my life to the max and not wait about for the dream!!

Backhomeatlast Mar 8th 2008 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by kez81 (Post 6034302)
i think the problem with australia is the way it is hyped up too be something its not i came over with so much unrealistic expectations about this place i now realise it aint happening!!

My hubby in the other hands keeps telling me to give it time is 3 yrs not time enough , i wish he would get his head out the clouds and realise:(

My cousin died this morning of cancer aged just 34 this is another thing that makes me want to live my life to the max and not wait about for the dream!!

I gave Perth 18 months, had some great laughs but found the place DULLSVILLE, the locals are sooooo boring:confused:

TruBrit Mar 8th 2008 1:41 pm

what do you base your judjement on - just curious?