Whos gone/going back?

Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whos gone/going back?

Originally Posted by LouiseD
We arrived back home last Thursday. Despite being desperate to get home (financial and family reasons) we found that we were really quite sad to leave Melbourne. I think it was more the realisation that our dreams of 3 years had finally come to an end than wanting to stay in Australia though. It was more emotional than we thought it would be. Once the plane got near to Europe though, I was beside myself with excitement. Our daughters were waiting for us at the airport - it was brilliant to all be together again.

We had a fantastic weekend celebrating our daughters 18th birthday with family and it was so wonderful to actually feel alive again - to laugh and dance and be truly happy.

Today we've all been out house and car hunting and needed a break so we called into one of the village pubs for a few drinks - it was lovely to sit there as a family again in a local pub with familiar faces around us. The UK may not have the lovely weather that Australia has but for me it sure as hell has more character and more life
Welcome home!
Feels great doesn't it. People keep telling me that soon I will miss Australia and remember why we left in the first place but as each day passes Australia just seems more and more like a bad dream.
The only change that I have found is within. I don't stress anymore, I am so laid back compared to my family. My Mum is often huffing and puffing over silly things like a car not pulling out.. it makes me laugh
Good luck with all the sorting out of everything.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:28 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
All this up heaval of moving back to UK makes me feel really emotional too, hubbie said yesteday he wants us to wait one more year to get his diploma then we will head back. The trouble is we have a 17 year old that we bought kicking and screaming with us here two years ago (today we been here two years!!!) and the big question is what do I do?? If I leave her here it will break the family up and I dont want that, but I also dont want her to rezent me and come back and make our lives a living hell, which was the case for the first year of being here.

I feel too tired and old with all this crap, it really has taken a big toll on my marriage and my poor husband has really had a hard time of it,.. sometimes I wish we had never come here ......... two years too long if you ask me!!!

We also feel this place is souless and although beautiful beaches etc what else.

The trouble is Aussie think its eutopia cos there are so many of us coming here, they think its gotta be (if you get my drift).... People dont flock to France etc do if people emigrate its mostly to Australia, so to them this is paradise thats why half of them never get out of their suburb let alone travel the world.
You've made it to two years!!! Well done. You can get your citizenship now, then you're free to roam.

As for eldest daughter, that's a real toughie. She is old enough to make her own decisions but I understand that you don't want to split your whole family up. But do you want to stay here unhappy? That's the alternative really isn't it. Difficult situation but I'm sure it'll all come out in the wash as this year goes on.

I think most marriages have hit crunch point over here when the situation of returning arises. It's such a strain. But your marriage is more important than this country.

Keep your chin up chuck!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LouiseD
We arrived back home last Thursday. Despite being desperate to get home (financial and family reasons) we found that we were really quite sad to leave Melbourne. I think it was more the realisation that our dreams of 3 years had finally come to an end than wanting to stay in Australia though. It was more emotional than we thought it would be. Once the plane got near to Europe though, I was beside myself with excitement. Our daughters were waiting for us at the airport - it was brilliant to all be together again.

We had a fantastic weekend celebrating our daughters 18th birthday with family and it was so wonderful to actually feel alive again - to laugh and dance and be truly happy.

Today we've all been out house and car hunting and needed a break so we called into one of the village pubs for a few drinks - it was lovely to sit there as a family again in a local pub with familiar faces around us. The UK may not have the lovely weather that Australia has but for me it sure as hell has more character and more life
You're home!!! Fantastic. I'm so glad you're having a wonderful time back there with your family.

Long may it continue xxx
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:41 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Well done to you. But, how do you 'feel' now you're back home? I know this is one of those difficult questions because trying to put emotions into words is sometimes pretty tough. It's just that some people desperately want to go home and when they get there, they realise they should've stayed in Oz. I'm terrified that will happen to me despite me having wanted to go home for 2.5 years!!

To be honest Tracey, I'm really very pleased to be back home again. I remember watching tv in Oz one day and the presenter was talking about "this great country of ours", and I remember thinking "Yes it is a great country but it is yours, it's not mine". And although I wasn't there very long, I honestly couldn't ever see it being "my" country. Does that sound weird
I love being back here. I don't mind the miserable weather and the traffic jams because they are all part of Britain. This is my country.

Julie. x
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the UK for just a couple of weeks - same as every other time I could feel the excitement of seeing London from the air, the pure delight of the magic words "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to London, the time is 5.30am......." Fabulous. I love it! Its cold, wet, windy, and beautiful. I have shopped, partied, pubbed, and been welcomed by friends as if I'd never left. 3 things that stand out instantly are - the variety of stuff in the shops, the enjoyment of being with people who understand me without long explanations, and - odd though it sounds - the customer service - I am stunned at the politeness and the helpfulness of staff in shops, pubs and restaurants! I have always slated customer service here in the past, but I am amazed at how much courtesy and help I have had this week - and its not cos they think I'm a tourist as I have a local accent. Is this an aberration or is this now normal?!!!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:14 pm

snow-white is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by atkinsfamily
Hi
Unfortuantly we are going back in 12 days time, it just didnt work our for us here.
Good luck to anyone waiting to go home, I know how hard it is when you dont want to be somewhere.
can i ask why it didnt work out?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:19 pm
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Back in the UK for just a couple of weeks - same as every other time I could feel the excitement of seeing London from the air, the pure delight of the magic words "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to London, the time is 5.30am......." Fabulous. I love it! Its cold, wet, windy, and beautiful. I have shopped, partied, pubbed, and been welcomed by friends as if I'd never left. 3 things that stand out instantly are - the variety of stuff in the shops, the enjoyment of being with people who understand me without long explanations, and - odd though it sounds - the customer service - I am stunned at the politeness and the helpfulness of staff in shops, pubs and restaurants! I have always slated customer service here in the past, but I am amazed at how much courtesy and help I have had this week - and its not cos they think I'm a tourist as I have a local accent. Is this an aberration or is this now normal?!!!
You guys are so making up my mind! Cant believe I would look forward to an UK winter but I am. Now in my late 40s I have decided I dont want to end up in the States. Been thinking about it for a few years now and almost did it once (even boght tickets). Guess its like quitting smoking, takes practise and will power, but the results are so good for you!!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

You have just brought tears to my eyes Pol.

It must be so hard for you, desperately wanting to go home to where you belong, and yet being unable to. Don't you ever wonder whether The Bloke may surprise you and actually like living in the UK? You're always thinking about his needs aren't you and not yours? You are very unselfish in that.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
To be honest Tracey, I'm really very pleased to be back home again. I remember watching tv in Oz one day and the presenter was talking about "this great country of ours", and I remember thinking "Yes it is a great country but it is yours, it's not mine". And although I wasn't there very long, I honestly couldn't ever see it being "my" country. Does that sound weird
I love being back here. I don't mind the miserable weather and the traffic jams because they are all part of Britain. This is my country.

Julie. x
Julie I am so glad it's all working out well for you back there. It's all about belonging isn't it? I think most people know, in their hearts, whether they belong somewhere or not. I know that I don't, and never will, belong here.

I only hope that my return back to Blighty will be good.

I hope it continues to be good for you xxxxxxxxx
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:18 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Polly, enjoy your stay. Can you negotiate an extension?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPM
Nice one Polly, enjoy your stay. Can you negotiate an extension?
Maybe loose your passport
It must be hard getting back on that plane everytime. Feel for you girl
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Juliecabs

Julie. x
I know exactly how you feel. As far back as 92, when I had to do my last school year here, I - and I must stress, I had absolutely no problem or dislike of this country then AT ALL, I was quite happy to be here - had little or no interest in Australian history or Australian culture or blah blah blah. I mean, I had nothing against it, it just wasn't my history or culture or what-have-you. I suppose that should have been a warning sign, or something. I just didn't think about it like that back then. But it does creep up on you more and more as the years go by... I can't get patriotic for Australia because it's not my country. Britain is my country. It's as simple as that.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:44 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Maybe loose your passport
It must be hard getting back on that plane everytime. Feel for you girl
It's always hard, but the hardest for me was the last time, because we had actually moved over there. But you know, wife comes first and all that. I had no idea how truly depressed I would be at being back here though, and had I known then how I am feeling now, I would have seriously questioned whether my marriage was worth it. (it was, and is, but it is an extremely close race sometimes!).

Oh well, the Escape Committee soldiers on

On the plus side I'm getting Fox on March 1st so I'll never have to hear that Aussie accent coming out of my tv again
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

glad you having a lovely time Polly must be really really hard for you!!!

kath
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:57 am

pomijean is an unknown quantity at this point

Good to hear from you Polly,you are mad if you come back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.