Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Who's going, who's coming.

Who's going, who's coming.

Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:12 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who's going, who's coming.

This is an interesting link. After various debates on loss of jobs, who's taking the jobs, the '1,000's of immigrants flooding the UK' (not stated by myself), it seems more people leave the UK than enter it.
Interesting but also reassuring that there are still a lot of Brits in Britain.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/7737490.stm
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:25 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's going, who's coming.

That report is from Nov 08, but anyway, the way I read it is that there was more people coming into Britain than leaving, not the other way round. Here is the quote:

The number of people who came to live in the UK fell from 591,000 in 2006 to 571,000 in 2007.

But the number of people who left the UK fell further - from 400,000 émigrés to 340,000. The numbers include foreign and British nationals moving in both directions - although eight out of 10 of those arriving were not UK passport holders.

So all in all, immigration versus emigration, the population of the UK increased by approx 240,000 in 2007, 80% of which were not British passport holders.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:34 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a more recent link.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ja...tion-london-uk
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:38 am
Banned

Here's another showing Polish returning home. I'd read somewhere where many immigrants do return to their own countries because they don't like Britain but I can't find the link now. I don't know how it's possible to accurately keep a track of actual numbers when so many people are coming and going.
http://www.emigrate.co.uk/news/12342.html