Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Who to contact when back in the UK?

Who to contact when back in the UK?

Old Nov 19th 2010, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Who to contact when back in the UK?

It is a small world! My husband went to Conyers School - many years ago though!

Good luck with your move back.

Originally Posted by osnaith
Hi Gill

What a small world. Im from Kirklevington and went to school at Conyers in Yarm.

We are moving back home after 8 years in Mexico. Should be back in june 2011.

Hope your move goes well.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
So I just had a browse around Google ,it does not talk anywhere about British Passport holders needing to take it ?

Of course I believe you all ,just can't get info for my situation ?

Is it that we have to take it if we need to claim TAX credits/working tax etc ..?

Took the test BTW ,and scored 7 lol ...guess I am not really British after all !

Well I don't have a copy of that book ,maybe that will help
Gab, Cheaper to buy one off Ebay!! Don
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gill123
Wow! That's amazing! We haven't met anyone in Perth from our local UK area. It would have been nice to - just to start off with something in common. We plan to return to the same "new" bit of Ingleby Barwick - just have to wait until the end of the year to see if our daughter has a place at St Francis school.

Are you glad you made the move back?
St Francis of Assisi is a really hard school to get into, as it is so small, but it is a very good school so good luck with that. We are doing the usual, attending church, etc to hopefully get a place for our 21 month old daughter when she turns three.

Most of the time we prefer living in the UK, we have a nice life here. I have to admit to wondering whether I would like to live in Australia again - we both miss the weather. Is that a good enough reason to move somewhere? We are planning to go to Australia next year for a seven month holiday though. Just to see how it goes and to get our RRV - you never know how you might feel in a few years.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

Sorry if this is too nosey -ignore if you like

How can one fail the test ?
Basically, the test consisted of what you have done to make roots in the UK. For example, rented a house, enrolled on electoral roll, got a GP and Dentist, moved furniture back to the UK, gave up rental in Australia, sold car in Australia, gave up jobs in Australia, flew dog back to UK, one-way flights, etc, etc. The mistake I made was telling them we still had a bank account in Australia. So I appealed and let them know the bank account had been closed. Appeal won!!

Don't say you have anything left in the previous country, obviously apart from if you have a house for sale that can't be helped. Unless there is no equity.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by barney41; Nov 19th 2010 at 9:27 am. Reason: added something
Old Nov 19th 2010, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

I know how tricky it is to get into St Franics - its my biggest worry! My daughter attended there from 2004 to 2008 and we were really impressed with everything about the school. There is a year 5 place available at the moment - as long as nobody else takes it before Christmas, it's ours, so fingers crossed.

There were very few students actually enrolled based on church places, unless that's changed drastically. Then it's sibling link, then catchment I think. I don't blame you at all for attending church to increase your chances - the rule used to be that you had to be attending church for 2 or 3 years previous to enrolling your child - so I don't know if that still applies?

My youngest daughter turned 3 in October, so if our eldest does get the Year 5 place, I'll put her on the nursery list. Our girls may end up in nursery together!

I can imagine that while you still have a valid visa or a way of getting one, it will be hard to 100% close your mind to not returning to Australia. I can only say - never say never! As you say, you never how you may feel about returning in the future

Originally Posted by barney41
St Francis of Assisi is a really hard school to get into, as it is so small, but it is a very good school so good luck with that. We are doing the usual, attending church, etc to hopefully get a place for our 21 month old daughter when she turns three.

Most of the time we prefer living in the UK, we have a nice life here. I have to admit to wondering whether I would like to live in Australia again - we both miss the weather. Is that a good enough reason to move somewhere? We are planning to go to Australia next year for a seven month holiday though. Just to see how it goes and to get our RRV - you never know how you might feel in a few years.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

What is a Right to reside test ?

Even though I am British by birth ,will I still have to complete one ?

Thank you

Oh,and how far back will they honor the CB claim ,do they back date it 3 months ?
No, you won't have to do the 'Right to Reside' test if you are a British National. Also, just reading up on this and only people who will claim income-based benefits should need to do the habitual residence test. Which means I was asked to do it and I shouldn't have.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

nikkihawkins84 is an unknown quantity at this point

This thread is a breath of fresh air for me!

We've just found out that there's no chance in our TWP being renewed or turning into a PR application, so we're heading home in April next near.

Anyway, as we planned to stay here we don't have any savings for returning to the UK and although we'll be able to save a bit over the next few months we can't save that much and we want to enjoy our time left here. So when we get back we'll be applying for benefits etc.

Still not liking the prospect of going back but at least this part of it won't be a huge problem.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 12:08 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dottypotty
I came back in April and it took much longer to sort out benefits. 8 - 9 weeks for the child benefit and child tax credit.

To claim job seekers and certain other benefits, you will need to pass a Right to Reside test even if you are a British Citizen.
What kind of test is this? I don't remember doing it, but then again with all the forms we fill in nowadays it might have passed over my head, I claimed Jobseekers Allowance for just 2 weeks in between my jobs.

As I am going back now with very little money would I be able to sign on seeing as I worked from May 2009 to March 2010? I hope to not need it and get a job ASAP, but you never know.....