Whitby, North Yorkshire.

Old May 31st 2009, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whitby, North Yorkshire.

Originally Posted by Seasider

I'm from Redcar, about 22 miles up the coast from Whitby. My Mum's side is all farming folk from around that way and I went to Whitby or Scarborough (or Butlins Filey!) for my holidays every year as a kid.
Eeeeh, that brings back memories -- I went to Butlins Filey a couple of times as a kid! Also, had my ears pierced in Redcar!!
Old May 31st 2009, 5:54 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkshirelass
Besides parking problems, a big complaint of locals is that there really aren't very many supermarket choices -- you have to travel as far as York for a good Marks and Sparks, Asda etc. However, you still have access to local veg, bakers and butchers shops as well as fab restaurant choices.
I wondered about shopping. It's not a big deal, but there are times when a city shopping trip is called for. There's a train to Middlesborough. Sorry if anyone loves the place, but what I've seen of it didn't impress. But perhaps it has a decent shopping centre?

But the occasional trip to York wouldn't be painful. That's a lovely place.

Thanks, Yorkshirelass.

Bev
Old May 31st 2009, 9:08 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Oh crikey - if you want decent shopping, head to York or Leeds. I do have the misfortune of going to Middlesbrough every year - take my nieces for a day out as even the pound shops are shutting down in Redcar and it's pretty dismal. There's one big centre they built since I left - Hill Street - and that's about it.

Bev, there is little to beat a beautiful English summer day on the North East coast. I've been to some damned exotic places in my time but still have very fond memories of those summers of 76 and 77, being on the beach within ten minutes of finishing school.

I moved to Leeds to uni at 18 and stayed 20 years; whilst I loved city life I always did miss the sea.
Old May 31st 2009, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

GagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to allGagainPEI is a name known to all
Smile Re: Whitby, North Yorkshire.

I love this coast. The beach at Whitby is fabulous &, last time we went, dogs were still allowed without leads. My favourite place was the beautiful Runswick Bay, a bit further up the coast. It reminded me of Italy. Grandsons & dog had a wonderful time on the beach. Saltburn's not bad either with a lovely beach & a funicular.

The only problem I know of is the Haar. One of my friends lives in Seaton Carew & in the middle of a heatwave inland, she would arrive home to fog & the central heating would be on as it was so cold! The Haar extends as far inland as Guisborough (another nice market town).

Just to make a point, all these places are easily accessable from the area I lived in, near Yarm, N Yorks. We also had day trips to Lindisfarne, Hexham & Chesters (Northumbria) where a Roman fort has been excavated at Hadrian's wall.

Middlesbrough has a decent M&S but...., you don't have to go very often.
Old May 31st 2009, 11:52 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Bev i took all these photo's at the end of March....we went to whitby and Robinhoods bay, then carried on north up the coast....We was totally awe struck and i just couldn't stop clicking.....
Attached Thumbnails Whitby, North Yorkshire.-p1000377.jpg   Whitby, North Yorkshire.-p1000385.jpg   Whitby, North Yorkshire.-p1000379.jpg  
Old May 31st 2009, 11:56 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the photos, Sans!

Bev
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I wondered about shopping. It's not a big deal, but there are times when a city shopping trip is called for. There's a train to Middlesborough. Sorry if anyone loves the place, but what I've seen of it didn't impress. But perhaps it has a decent shopping centre?

But the occasional trip to York wouldn't be painful. That's a lovely place.

Thanks, Yorkshirelass.

Bev
Yep, York would definitey be my choice over 'Boro! It's just gorgeous! Although Scarborough shopping isn't too bad in a pinch. Who knows? Maybe they'll put a Marks n Spencers in the old Woolies building in Whitby. Not to sound like there's nothing there -- there is actually a Coop, Somerfields and a brand new Lidl in the town!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Famous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to beholdFamous 5 is a splendid one to behold

Whitby is a great place - I love the fact that although it is really picturesque, it also has a bit of a rough edge to it. I went there a lot as a child and my parents still live nearby so we always visit Whitby when we go back to the UK for a visit - most recently last June/July, when it all looked stunning especially the Abbey.

Over the years my kids have built up quite a collection of Lucky Ducks from the glass shop including the obligatory Goth Lucky Duck!

In winter the north east coast can be a bit bleak, but think of all the invigorating walks along the beach.

I would agree with the poster who said that it wouldn't be great place to find work - although for people with a trade or in healthcare there must be opportunities.

And as for the wider area, as other posters have said, there are some fantastic places both on the coast and inland. It really is a beautiful area..... so remind me again what I'm doing here?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bevm
So, anyone got opinions on Whitby? I read aasmith's recent posts with interest. And Irish Guinness loves Whitby. Yorkshirelass comes from Whitby.

We said we wouldn't go north, but it's as if Whitby is flashing neon signs everywhere we look. Latest one. A casual meeting the other day and the woman said she was just back from a holiday in the UK. We asked where, and she said Whitby. Went on about how wonderful it was. They always go there. Her husband came from there and he'd go back in a moment if she'd let him.

Nearly all our closest friends live in the north and one couple aren't far from Whitby. They love it and go there as often as they can.

So, we're looking at it, thinking that as we weren't blown away by any one place in Devon and we intend to rent at first we might try it, even over winter.

From what I can see it gets less rain than the NW where I grew up. And if necessary, we will be able to run off to southern europe for a month or two.

So, anyone know what it's like to live there? Lots of Goths, I gather, but I like Goths and other eccentric people who dress in costumes, especially historical ones. Unlike the southern coastal towns we were looking at it has lots of historical stuff back to the middle ages, which is one of my interests. Not much property for sale or rent, and not particularly cheap. Which I assume means it's a place where lots of people want to live.

Comments?

Bev
You go Bevm

I promise you will love it
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

Funnily enough I met a nurse at the local Hospital last Thursday, who was originally from Berkshire, but moved to Huddersfield at aged 18 to undertake her nurse training. Now in her forties, she is just about to move to Whitby. She said that she loves North Yorkshire and is moving there now to work and establish friends etc., rather than waiting to just retire there. I am originally from North Yorkshire and visited Whitby many times, including a very memorable school camping trip up near the Abbey
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:33 pm
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by Kathryn V
Funnily enough I met a nurse at the local Hospital last Thursday, who was originally from Berkshire, but moved to Huddersfield at aged 18 to undertake her nurse training. Now in her forties, she is just about to move to Whitby. She said that she loves North Yorkshire and is moving there now to work and establish friends etc., rather than waiting to just retire there.
You see. Everyone's going to Whitby!

Soon there's be no room left for us!

Bev
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:47 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've seen on property programmes (UK, imported to Oz) they are! The coastal cottage is the new country pile, darlings.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

slidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant futureslidingbyee has a brilliant future

Damm the secrets out I lived in some exotic places Hawaii, Bermuda, S. CA but still would move NE coast in a heartbeat - whoops wasn't that a TV program
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice_debs_ is just really nice

Hi Bev, I live in Beverley, East Yorks, not that far from Whitby.

What sort of business are you planning to establish?
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:14 am
Just hanging around

Originally Posted by _debs_
Hi Bev, I live in Beverley, East Yorks, not that far from Whitby.

What sort of business are you planning to establish?
No business, Debs.

I like Beverley a lot, but we want to be by the sea.

Bev

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.