Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where's best pick in England!

Where's best pick in England!

Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:05 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where's best pick in England!

Originally Posted by iaink
I used to live in Norwich. Lovely place, friendly people. Has a bit of a back of beyond remote feel as the road access to the rest of the country isnt great, but thats part of the appeal. Cant really comment on opportunites, sports facilities were a bit limited, when I lived there (7 years ago) there was not much in the way of a pool (they were fund raising), and no ice rink for 100 miles, but it depends what you want. I played field hockey and there were OK facilites at the UEA and elswhere, but a bit few and far between. Best advice is to visit and see what you think. If I had to go back to the UK I would certainly consider it again, but there are so many places to chose from and it is a very personal choice. No idea what property prices are like now, back then they were not as extreme as the rest of the SE, but then its a bit of a slog to anywhere form Norwich, which limited the market. The weather there was certainly better than Scotland!
UEA now has a brand new sports centre including a 50m pool. There's also a pool around the north of the city.

Probably one of the driest cities in the UK due to its eastern location and the North Norfolk coast is beautiful.

Full of great nature reserves, walks and good pubs with great local ales.

The people are friendly and the city is safe. Norfolk in many ways is like a little world of its own. Plenty of history around the area too.

House prices are getting expensive but as Iain says it's definitely worth a visit and a look around to see what you think.
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaynie35uk
...theres York, go check out the minster there!!! not far is the yorkshire dales...
isn't that getting renovated and going to be covered up for the next ten years or so while they work on the masonry?
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Manc
funny you never mentioned Darlington nor Hartlepool in your post above.
i said "there was not so nice places"...lol
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
isn't that getting renovated and going to be covered up for the next ten years or so while they work on the masonry?
there always renovating bits of it, havent heard its being covered up though..ah well, ive seen it loads of times anyway...lol
Old Feb 18th 2005, 10:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaynie35uk
there always renovating bits of it, havent heard its being covered up though..ah well, ive seen it loads of times anyway...lol
aye, supposedly, there going to cover up the main part for a while as they replace the stones properly now, got the money to do it properly now I guess...lucky I've already been and had a look...be nice when it's finished though..
Old Feb 19th 2005, 7:48 am
Just Joined

Confused in NZ! is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,
thanks so much again for all the info. it really is great to get a few opinions on places in the UK. have to be honest that i spent the morning in work thinking about living in Scotland (the weather reports are working Linda!) and then my sister in law rang tonight, from Paisley, and said it was in the paper today that Scotland is currently the best place in Uk to live, property prices and cost of living etc considered!

In saying that, hubby had read somewhere that Alnwich was voted top town to live in by country life magazine and we both love York!!

Who knows, our heads are so scrambled at the minute! We could end up anywhere! In fact, when I told my husband that a guy living in Ontario had replied and had some positive things to say about Norwich, he wanted to know if you reccomended Ontario!! I was just about ready to choke him!!

Please keep the info coming, maybe one day this confusion we are in will start to clear! I hope so!
Old Feb 19th 2005, 5:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confused in NZ!
when I told my husband that a guy living in Ontario had replied and had some positive things to say about Norwich, he wanted to know if you reccomended Ontario
ANY DAY OF THE WEEK OVER ANYWHERE IN THE UK!

But you would probably think its too cold if you are worried about Scottish weather. Give me cold and blue skies over rain and greyness anyday though. Oh well, summers just another 4 months away

Last edited by iaink; Feb 19th 2005 at 5:57 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2005, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Hello,

Just read your post. We live in Canada and my husband is a millwright/machine repair for GM, car plant. We have been trying to relocate into the UK for awhile, opposite to you, but don't want to lose such a great paying job. Have you found a job in Canada? Good luck to you, i hear it can be difficult to get your foot in the door, plus dealing with culture shot and not having family around to cheer you up.Not trying to cloud the picture. Just remember the grass isn't always greener on the other side.I don't want to cloud your dreams or visions. If you move in Southern Ontario, you can look forward to lots of snow and can get as cold as-25 , where the west coast in so much warmer.
All we need is for GM Europe to smarten up so my husband can transfer.. As 90% of the family are there. Good luck to you. Fingers crossed we will be back home soon.
Regards Dee

Originally Posted by phil & michele
Hi....We live in Lincoln which is a great City...full of History, very good schooling...Property still relatively low prices but with the new University it is an up and coming area....Also talk of a direct Lincoln to Kingscross rail service also.....

Ps....We have beautiful 4 bedroomed house just about to go on the market!!! we are hopefully off to Canada, not to get away from Lincoln but relocating due to husbands job!!

Pm if you require any further help on Lincoln....Michele