Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where are you moving back to?

Where are you moving back to?

Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are you moving back to?

Originally Posted by Mecano
Heading to the Peak Districk, close to Ashford in the Water. Good place for looking for jobs in Sheffield & Chesterfield (or in a push Manchester). Love the area albeit a bit crowded in the summer. I look forward long walks and country pubs!
March 2012 can't come soon enough!
Sounds gorgeous....where will you be moving from if you don't mind my asking?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Could he commute by rail ? I know what you mean about rental prices but what a part of the country !!
He wants to keep it under an hour and yes we are planning on being car free, can't wait! So tired of being a car owner in the 'burbs with all the hassle that cars bring. I fact looking forward to a healthier lifestyle altogether that involves using my two legs to get from a to b!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Mecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really nice

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Sounds gorgeous....where will you be moving from if you don't mind my asking?
From Massachusetts. One winter more to endure (and hoping I won't have to replace my car tyres before I go )
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

From Massachusetts. One winter more to endure (and hoping I won't have to replace my car tyres before I go )
I hear you on the winters...just endured my 12th in Maine. If I never see a snow shovel again it'll be just fine with me!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

We are returning to North Dorset.

We will be staying with my Dad (and my second family) to start with.

Totally excited, I love Dorset ~my Dad grew up in Swanage.

I actually feel very lucky we have been given this wonderful chance to build a new life there
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
We are returning to North Dorset.

We will be staying with my Dad (and my second family) to start with.

Totally excited, I love Dorset ~my Dad grew up in Swanage.

I actually feel very lucky we have been given this wonderful chance to build a new life there
Oh how wonderful for you...I have a friend who lives in a beautiful village in North Dorset, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it, the heat is getting to me...Its all gorgeous light stoned cottages though. Swanage is amazing too, I spent lots of time there when I was at college.
I really appreciate it much more for being away and its my dream to get back there eventually!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Oh how wonderful for you...I have a friend who lives in a beautiful village in North Dorset, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it, the heat is getting to me...Its all gorgeous light stoned cottages though. Swanage is amazing too, I spent lots of time there when I was at college.
I really appreciate it much more for being away and its my dream to get back there eventually!
I *really* hope you are able

It is a wonderful county isn't it?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:28 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

We are returning to North Dorset. We will be staying with my Dad (and my second family) to start with. Totally excited, I love Dorset ~my Dad grew up in Swanage. I actually feel very lucky we have been given this wonderful chance to build a new life there

Gabby, just moments ago I was reading through some material that I have on hand about a steam train trip to Swanage. There are 3 different steam train trips that we're looking at (the other 2 being to Plymouth; and Weymouth) and trying to decide which one we want to take. They are just daytrips and we have chosen these 3 particular trips because they leave from London and pick up passengers at our local train station.

The Swanage Belle will be running on a Saturday in October. It leaves London Victoria at 8.30 in the morning, makes a few stops to pick up passengers along the way, then heads through Winchester, Southampton and Bournemouth. It then passes through Poole and continues to Wareham, with 'magnificent views of Corfe Castle' as it heads towards Swanage.

Once it arrives in Swanage, passengers have 3 hours to explore the city. It leaves Swanage at 4.30 in the afternoon and arrives back in London at 9.30pm.

We've never taken a steam train trip. It's a bit pricey* but it's something we've always wanted to do.

So, what would Dad's Top Tips for Swanage be? :-)

*There are 3 classes available. Below are prices for 2 people, return, on the Swanage Belle:

Premier Dining
£260 includes full English Breakfast, light lunch and 4-course dinner silver served at your seat.

First Class
£224 includes morning coffee and Danish pastries and tea and biscuits in the afternoon.

Standard Class
£158 includes a reserved seat at a table for 4.

Tables for 2 can be guaranteed in First Class and Premier Dining for a supplement of £18 per person.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Heading to the Peak Districk, close to Ashford in the Water. Good place for looking for jobs in Sheffield & Chesterfield (or in a push Manchester). Love the area albeit a bit crowded in the summer. I look forward long walks and country pubs!
Crowded....lol...I think it's the exact opposite....but your spot on with the Pubs and the scenery is just wonderful to us after a few years of mainly flat and brown we had overseas.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DDL
Gabby, just moments ago I was reading through some material that I have on hand about a steam train trip to Swanage. There are 3 different steam train trips that we're looking at (the other 2 being to Plymouth; and Weymouth) and trying to decide which one we want to take. They are just daytrips and we have chosen these 3 particular trips because they leave from London and pick up passengers at our local train station.

The Swanage Belle will be running on a Saturday in October. It leaves London Victoria at 8.30 in the morning, makes a few stops to pick up passengers along the way, then heads through Winchester, Southampton and Bournemouth. It then passes through Poole and continues to Wareham, with 'magnificent views of Corfe Castle' as it heads towards Swanage.

Once it arrives in Swanage, passengers have 3 hours to explore the city. It leaves Swanage at 4.30 in the afternoon and arrives back in London at 9.30pm.

We've never taken a steam train trip. It's a bit pricey* but it's something we've always wanted to do.

So, what would Dad's Top Tips for Swanage be? :-)

*There are 3 classes available. Below are prices for 2 people, return, on the Swanage Belle:

Premier Dining
£260 includes full English Breakfast, light lunch and 4-course dinner silver served at your seat.

First Class
£224 includes morning coffee and Danish pastries and tea and biscuits in the afternoon.

Standard Class
£158 includes a reserved seat at a table for 4.

Tables for 2 can be guaranteed in First Class and Premier Dining for a supplement of £18 per person.
WOW! DDL what fun...

I will call my Dad in the Morning and get back to you... I love the way you make the most of your living in the UK ...

Oh,and off the top of my head, look in to the Mowlem theatre (right in Swanage) -you would have time to see something there, I think?

Last edited by Gabgoeshome; Jul 21st 2011 at 6:55 pm. Reason: added
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I *really* hope you are able

It is a wonderful county isn't it?
Thanks! Yes it's beautiful, just hope my kids like it...can't imagine they won't though.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 7:26 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW! DDL what fun...I will call my Dad in the Morning and get back to you... I love the way you make the most of your living in the UK ...Oh,and off the top of my head, look in to the Mowlem theatre (right in Swanage) -you would have time to see something there, I think?

Thanks, Gabbs. That would be great. Yes, we are making the most of our being back. But it's easy to do in such a lovely country full of so much history and beautiful places.

Yes, if we definitely decide on the Swanage Belle, we'll be in Swanage for 3 hours. Will make a note of the Mowlem.

x
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:32 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh lucky you! A lovely area and not long to go until you're there

I love reading about everyone's plans. Keep 'em coming!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:52 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Shall be heading back to Exeter. London or Chelmsford sometime next year probably.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:18 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

For us it will be the SW, Somerset or maybe Dorset. It's a beautiful area with lots to do for the kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.