Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where are you moving back to?

Where are you moving back to?

Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Where are you moving back to?

So where in the U.K would you like to move back to and why? How does climate, finances, family, culture factor into your decision?

I live in the New England at the moment but would love to move back to Dorset which is where I grew up...possibly on the outskirts of Bournemouth. My family all live in London and Brighton so I'd love to be to have quick access to them. I love the idea of having access to the beautiful Dorset countryside and be able to get up to London quickly too.

Where are you heading?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Where are you moving back to?

Im not going to be moving back just yet...it will probably be 3 or 4 years from now that we move back....
I came over here to Florida to marry my then girlfriend in January 2010, we have been married for a year and a half and although we never really spoke about having kids, fate beat us to it and my wife is now 6months pregnant with our 1st child , so this should be fun hehe
we decided that we are going to sort out citizenship for me here and then move back over when our child is 3 or 4 as we do not want our 'little bean' going to school over here , we feel that the system although not perfect over there is much safer and better in some respects , so we will move back to Central Scotland which is where i am from and where my family still is, and is a good place for work for either Glasgow or Edinburgh.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:21 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Our family and friends are spread between Cumbria, Yorkshire and Lancashire - we think we'll head to the southern Lake District in 18 months when we return.

From there, it will be easy to visit everyone we care about - and we want to live somewhere beautiful. I'm looking forward to the countryside walks (in my rain coat!)
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, the Lake District...how lovely, I've always wanted to visit. I would love a tromp through the hills in my raincoat just now!

Paul congrats on your baby...you are in for some fun times indeed. I'm sure your little one will love growing up in central Scotland! Very different from Florida I'm sure...
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

thank you very much , yes i hope the little one will enjoy growing up in Scotland, i know i did, besides, i think its a little warm here for kids ... ok for little holidays from the UK or wherever which give you time to thaw out but a bit hot for all year round staying lol
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree, I don't care for the heat at all and I'm in the North East. I like to visit Florida in the spring but couldn't hack it year 'round...
I lived in Scotland as a child for a little while in Airdrie, beautiful place. Your child will have a more traditional upbringing there I think. I remember the schools being great also.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

im actually doing better with the heat than i thought i would, but wouldnt want to subject my kid to it for too long , we would probably move back sooner but with my wife being a USC and me only being LPR at the moment we figure it would be better me getting dual US/UK before we move... nevermind the fact that we have 3 cats , they are 10,11 and 12years old so it would be kind of expensive to move with all 3 cats, as well as a logistical nightmare as my wife wouldnt ship them as cargo...so (not meaning to sound cold) we i am hoping that in the time we will still be here before we return to the UK that 1 or more of them pass away, i know that sounds bad, but with their age and the fact that 1 of them is disabled and him and 1 of the others we dont think would make the trip very well(if at all) , we hope that we dont have to take the chance of them not making it...
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I imagine that would be very stressful for an animal, we have a young cat too and a oldish dog who wouldn't do well with the transition. Mind you I have five years until my oldest leaves for college then we'll move.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Montfan72
So where in the U.K would you like to move back to and why? How does climate, finances, family, culture factor into your decision?

I live in the New England at the moment but would love to move back to Dorset which is where I grew up...possibly on the outskirts of Bournemouth. My family all live in London and Brighton so I'd love to be to have quick access to them. I love the idea of having access to the beautiful Dorset countryside and be able to get up to London quickly too.

Where are you heading?
I lived in Lymington for quite a few years so when I go back ( 4-5 years time ) I'll either go there or to Jersey, where I was born. I loved living in the New Forest and I think of all the places I've been in the world it's one of the most beautiful.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

Oooo, some beautiful places people are heading back to. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I didn't do a lot of exploring before I left for the USA. Now I'm looking forward to visiting a lot of these places (Lake District, Dorset).

I'll be heading for the sunny fields of Lincolnshire with my one-year-old initially to stay with my parents until hubby is done with his degree here. After that, no idea where we'll end up...I've always loved Bristol/Bath, but the drive up to Lincoln would be a bit of a bugger.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Englishman it truly is a spectacular area, I can't think of anyplace else I'd rather live and there is so much to do. I actually grew up just outside Weymouth and we are also going back in 4 or five years. My hubby is a bit wary of the commuting time between East Dorset and London where he would work, but I'm putting my foot down in terms of pure lifestyle it would be hard to beat. Renting a house though looks tricky...I can't believe the rents quoted, yikes
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by just_jenn
Oooo, some beautiful places people are heading back to. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I didn't do a lot of exploring before I left for the USA. Now I'm looking forward to visiting a lot of these places (Lake District, Dorset).

I'll be heading for the sunny fields of Lincolnshire with my one-year-old initially to stay with my parents until hubby is done with his degree here. After that, no idea where we'll end up...I've always loved Bristol/Bath, but the drive up to Lincoln would be a bit of a bugger.
Lincolnshire is another place I'd love to see...is that the area with all those gorgeous Tudor buildings?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

just_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to alljust_jenn is a name known to all

Lincolnshire is another place I'd love to see...is that the area with all those gorgeous Tudor buildings?
There are a smattering of them throughout the county, and then there's a beautiful Norman cathedral and castle in Lincoln proper. Mostly it's fields of cabbages and potatoes, though lol.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Englishman it truly is a spectacular area, I can't think of anyplace else I'd rather live and there is so much to do. I actually grew up just outside Weymouth and we are also going back in 4 or five years. My hubby is a bit wary of the commuting time between East Dorset and London where he would work, but I'm putting my foot down in terms of pure lifestyle it would be hard to beat. Renting a house though looks tricky...I can't believe the rents quoted, yikes
Could he commute by rail ? I know what you mean about rental prices but what a part of the country !!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Mecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really niceMecano is just really nice

Heading to the Peak Districk, close to Ashford in the Water. Good place for looking for jobs in Sheffield & Chesterfield (or in a push Manchester). Love the area albeit a bit crowded in the summer. I look forward long walks and country pubs!
March 2012 can't come soon enough!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.