Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

where would you retire to in UK?

where would you retire to in UK?

Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of
Default Re: where would you retire to in UK?

we live in Torbay, English Riveria and find it a lovely place to live. so much to see and do...pick a beach, any beach...
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:32 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dewdrop
we live in Torbay, English Riveria and find it a lovely place to live. so much to see and do...pick a beach, any beach...
Ah yes, home of the £40 baked potato!
Seriously though, the Cary Arms in Babbacombe is a very nice spot to enjoy a pint and a meal, sitting outside with outstanding views up the coast to Exmouth and beyond.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:27 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I did a search and found a list from the Guardian of the Top 10 places to retire to. It's a few years old but I don't suppose too much has changed.

Looks like most of our choices are on there

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...aces-to-retire
Old Aug 28th 2012, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
Ah yes, home of the £40 baked potato!
Seriously though, the Cary Arms in Babbacombe is a very nice spot to enjoy a pint and a meal, sitting outside with outstanding views up the coast to Exmouth and beyond.
TBH we didnt even know about that £40 potato
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:09 am
Just Joined

JaHo is an unknown quantity at this point

We've lived in the Philippines since 2005, but next year I will do some exploration in the UK to find a place to live, at first on a temporary basis. I'm from central Lancashire, but would consider anywhere; the only essential requirement is peace and quiet, as I write. Oh, and money is an issue; most of the places in this thread are out of reach. (Been checking property prices, and am surprised how cheap some places are. Why? I wonder)
So, if you were in my shoes, where would you look?
Old Aug 28th 2012, 11:34 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SadInStates
For me it would have to be London! So much to see and do!

My parents live here and they are always out and about doing something with this group or that!
They are incredibly fit and healthy because of it, unlike my in-laws who retired to Somerset and just sit and watch TV all day as they can no longer drive. my parents hop on the bus or tube, or just plain walk!
My inlaws seem at least 10 years older than my parents, even though they are all around the 80 mark.
London is too expensive for many people, we live in Dorset, small town just 6 miles from Bournemouth so near the sea, about 8 miles from the New Forest as well. There are plenty of areas round here which would work well. We have a great bus service to both Poole and Bournemouth, Good rail links from there.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:58 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I did a search and found a list from the Guardian of the Top 10 places to retire to. It's a few years old but I don't suppose too much has changed.

Looks like most of our choices are on there

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012...aces-to-retire
Actually, Sally, the Guardian article is only a few weeks old, and I've already linked to it.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:44 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Actually, Sally, the Guardian article is only a few weeks old, and I've already linked to it.
Oh good, glad it's up to date. I can't always read every post I'm afraid so I missed yours. Still, won't hurt to say it twice

Especially as I'll be using it for fodder for my husband. Craven is one of the areas we're thinking about buying a house and it's #1 on the list
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:52 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh good, glad it's up to date. I can't always read every post I'm afraid so I missed yours. Still, won't hurt to say it twice

Especially as I'll be using it for fodder for my husband. Craven is one of the areas we're thinking about buying a house and it's #1 on the list
Torridge, which is my preferred option is number 7, and the Derbyshire Dales, which is my husband's is number 10.

I see you're still using the hash sign for no. You haven't quite crossed the Atlantic yet.

Last edited by Editha; Aug 29th 2012 at 1:55 am.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:30 am
Finally Home!

I have to be bi-lingual as my business has mostly American clients. So I'm keeping to American spelling and then consciously changing it when needed here.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:50 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaHo
We've lived in the Philippines since 2005, but next year I will do some exploration in the UK to find a place to live, at first on a temporary basis. I'm from central Lancashire, but would consider anywhere; the only essential requirement is peace and quiet, as I write. Oh, and money is an issue; most of the places in this thread are out of reach. (Been checking property prices, and am surprised how cheap some places are. Why? I wonder)
So, if you were in my shoes, where would you look?
There are plenty of cheaper places in the north (the odd expensive place too) - people assume it's always dangerous and run-down, especially in the cities, but it's not always the case. For example housing is very cheap around Grimsby/Cleethorpes (if you're looking to be near the coast). Yes you should look around and avoid streets where obviously youth congregate and/or there is noise or obvious signs of vandalism/break-ins. Bradford is another possibility - it's true there are areas that are difficult, but other parts (especially villages around the city) are said to be very nice places to live. Another option, if you are put off by house prices is to live in a caravan on a site - often you will have to vacant your place for a month or so each year, but I understand many get around this by taking a holiday in warmer climes at the height of winter.
If buying a place is really out of reach, then why not rent accommodation? The advantage of this is you may be able to get housing benefit to cover all or part of the rent, if your income is not sufficient.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 10:18 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
There are plenty of cheaper places in the north (the odd expensive place too) - people assume it's always dangerous and run-down, especially in the cities, but it's not always the case. For example housing is very cheap around Grimsby/Cleethorpes (if you're looking to be near the coast).
For gods sake steer clear of those places, the backside of the universe, there isn't any sea, you are on the Humber Estuary so swimming there is like going through the motions in a chemical soup, so just loads of mud flats when the tide goes out, and it goes out a hell of a long way, and comes in very quickly. There have been loads of people drowed in that are going out when the tide is low, not realisinf just how quickly it comes in, getting surrounded by water and drowning, even horse riders, and you can get a sea fog coming down very suddenly, doesn't help when you're a long way out, people get confused and don't know where they are.
The towns aren't much better, there are some decent areas, but loads of very run down estates, especially in Grimsby, which is why property prices are so low.
I lived in northern Lincolnshire for many years and know the area quite well, OK for an evening visit, stroll on the prom, fish and chip supper, but get out before the pubs kick out, not at all pleasant then.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 11:02 am
Finally Home!

The villages around Bradford are nice - but also pricey. Nice in the north translates to expensive just as it does anywhere else.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 4:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Torridge, which is my preferred option is number 7, and the Derbyshire Dales, which is my husband's is number 10.

I see you're still using the hash sign for no. You haven't quite crossed the Atlantic yet.
OK, that explains a recent experience I had (long story) - so what symbol represents "number" in the UK? [And you'll have to say "pound sign", not "hash")
Old Aug 29th 2012, 6:30 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by dunroving
OK, that explains a recent experience I had (long story) - so what symbol represents "number" in the UK? [And you'll have to say "pound sign", not "hash")
There isn't a symbol for number, not one that I can think of anyway. No. is the usual abbreviation for number or Nos. for numbers. The hash sign: # is just the hash sign.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.