Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where in UK Portsmouth are living locations?

Where in UK Portsmouth are living locations?

Old Apr 16th 2019, 4:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Where in UK Portsmouth are living locations?

To the OP - you can only live on the IoW if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

1. Have an odd number of fingers
2. Have an odd number of toes
3. Have webbing on any fingers or toes
4. Have possibly, maybe, at some point had relations of some kind with a relative.
5. Can demonstrate that your Aunt or Uncle is also your Cousin.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Quentinb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scamp
To the OP - you can only live on the IoW if you meet one or more of the following criteria:

1. Have an odd number of fingers
2. Have an odd number of toes
3. Have webbing on any fingers or toes
4. Have possibly, maybe, at some point had relations of some kind with a relative.
5. Can demonstrate that your Aunt or Uncle is also your Cousin.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 1:40 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quentinb
I work in Portsmouth near Cosham. My wife and kids are still in South-Africa and will only join me in August. But of course I cannot take them in with me into the company accommodation.
So I need to move and was asking where would be best areas for them with schools. They will only start school in the UK in September.
Getting to work, we will have a car and I can always take a bus or walk if I have to
I am more concerned about them being in a good area and close decent schools.
Sorry, I thought your children were already there. I have family in Denmead and don't think there's a Senior school in the village.
Have your work colleagues got any recommendations for a good school in the area?
Old Apr 16th 2019, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry, I thought your children were already there. I have family in Denmead and don't think there's a Senior school in the village.
Have your work colleagues got any recommendations for a good school in the area?
Most of them don't have kids and those who do have kids older than me
There is one lady and she also said Havant, Waterloovollie. Will have to first look for schools in those areas, see if they have space and then look for property.
Thanks
Old Apr 18th 2019, 10:53 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

So I am working in Portsmouth near Cosham in the UK and have accommodation in property owned by my company. Its a perk.
Eventually I will have to move out. I have kids in Senior school and was hoping for some advice here on where to stay?
Areas I was looking at include (Waterlooville, Havant and Fareham), I don't want to go further south in Portsmouth as it then becomes city and we don't want that.
Can you order them from best to worst location in your opinion? Or maybe add another location which I have not listed here?
Chichester, Emsworth, Petersfield are all good - but I would also consider heading south to Southsea - it's hardly "city" and is one of the nicest towns on the south coast.

Havant, Waterlooville and Fareham are cheaper - for the usual reasons.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, what are the "usual reasons" you are talking about?
I have looked at Southsea and the property prices seem somewhat the same as some of the other places mentioned here. Schools also look good. The only difference I can see is when you open your curtains you look strait into someone else's bathroom
Old Apr 18th 2019, 12:04 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, what are the "usual reasons" you are talking about?
I have looked at Southsea and the property prices seem somewhat the same as some of the other places mentioned here. Schools also look good. The only difference I can see is when you open your curtains you look strait into someone else's bathroom
Rather depends upon who is in their bathroom

Usual reasons - dull, bit run-down in places, limited amenities, sometimes a bit rough - nothing terminal, but there's always a reason why some towns are cheaper.

I would have a good look at the schools league tables as a key decider for you - unless you're going to send them private.

Southsea would allow you to cycle to work in the summer and have your kids with a beach they can readily walk-to - figured that would be a positive for a Saffer. Otherwise the Petersfield, Emsworth and Chichester mix are all quite nice.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Rather depends upon who is in their bathroom

Usual reasons - dull, bit run-down in places, limited amenities, sometimes a bit rough - nothing terminal, but there's always a reason why some towns are cheaper.

I would have a good look at the schools league tables as a key decider for you - unless you're going to send them private.

Southsea would allow you to cycle to work in the summer and have your kids with a beach they can readily walk-to - figured that would be a positive for a Saffer. Otherwise the Petersfield, Emsworth and Chichester mix are all quite nice.
You really should put a disclaimer next to 'beach' when discussing Southsea....

The common is great though in summer. Southsea generally is lovely but it's a long way to the M27 and you have to go back through centuries to get there and head towards civilization. Just get a place in Port Solent and be done with it.
Old Apr 18th 2019, 5:29 pm
Democracy advocate

Originally Posted by Scamp
You really should put a disclaimer next to 'beach' when discussing Southsea....
That goes for most of the south coast - crappy stone beaches in general.

The common is great though in summer. Southsea generally is lovely but it's a long way to the M27 and you have to go back through centuries to get there and head towards civilization. Just get a place in Port Solent and be done with it.
That's another option, not sure what the school options are out there.