Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where in UK Portsmouth are living locations?

Where in UK Portsmouth are living locations?

Old Apr 9th 2019, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Quentinb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where in UK Portsmouth are living locations?

So I am working in Portsmouth near Cosham in the UK and have accommodation in property owned by my company. Its a perk.
Eventually I will have to move out. I have kids in Senior school and was hoping for some advice here on where to stay?
Areas I was looking at include (Waterlooville, Havant and Fareham), I don't want to go further south in Portsmouth as it then becomes city and we don't want that.
Can you order them from best to worst location in your opinion? Or maybe add another location which I have not listed here?
Old Apr 10th 2019, 7:27 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in UK Portsmouth are living locations?

Originally Posted by Quentinb
So I am working in Portsmouth near Cosham in the UK and have accommodation in property owned by my company. Its a perk.
Eventually I will have to move out. I have kids in Senior school and was hoping for some advice here on where to stay?
Areas I was looking at include (Waterlooville, Havant and Fareham), I don't want to go further south in Portsmouth as it then becomes city and we don't want that.
Can you order them from best to worst location in your opinion? Or maybe add another location which I have not listed here?
Hi, you'd do better to post in the "Moving Back to the UK" forum, as this one is intended for expats living in or moving to Europe.
I would suggest not living too far from your workplace and avoid your children changing schools.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Thanks, admin can you please move this to "Moving Back to the UK" forum?
Old Apr 12th 2019, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

If you are prepared to drive a bit further Petersfield is a very pleasant town, quite calm good properties and not a difficult commute into Portsmouth but good countryside all around
Old Apr 12th 2019, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, I heard the same about Petersfield, seems like a nice place. Will have to go check it out.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Where are your kids going to school (town) and where's your work location?
If you move, how will they get to school and you to work? Got any planning in place for that?

A3 (M) and M27 are pretty busy in the mornings and evenings so expect some traffic holdups occasionally.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

I work in Portsmouth near Cosham. My wife and kids are still in South-Africa and will only join me in August. But of course I cannot take them in with me into the company accommodation.
So I need to move and was asking where would be best areas for them with schools. They will only start school in the UK in September.
Getting to work, we will have a car and I can always take a bus or walk if I have to
I am more concerned about them being in a good area and close decent schools.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 10:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am more concerned about them being in a good area and close decent schools.
Do remember though, that if they're decent schools they may be oversubscribed, so if the children are only coming in August, you're not likely to get them in to those schools anyway. Might be worth checking to see what places have been allocated for Sept to find out how far down a waiting list they're likely to be and which school they may actually be offered, in case it's a long way from your planned area.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not for everyone, but there are lots of commuters who travel from the Isle of Wight into Portsmouth every day.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Denmead, Clanfield, also A272 to East of Petersfield. Those are some good areas within decent travel distance.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all. I will have to travel to some of the places mentioned here to go have a look.
Old Apr 14th 2019, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Probably not for everyone, but there are lots of commuters who travel from the Isle of Wight into Portsmouth every day.
Problem with that is the cost...its pretty expensive these days..

Plus, if I wanted my kids to have a future I would not live there..
Old Apr 15th 2019, 10:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If you want to live somewhere pleasant, move to Southampton.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
Problem with that is the cost...its pretty expensive these days..

Plus, if I wanted my kids to have a future I would not live there..
Agree in part. Season tickets for foot passengers bring the price right down. Lovely place to bring up young kids. Older children may find the place boring with restricted scope for a career and seek excitement and work opportunities on the mainland.
As I say, not for everyone.

Old Apr 15th 2019, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Agree in part. Season tickets for foot passengers bring the price right down. Lovely place to bring up young kids. Older children may find the place boring with restricted scope for a career and seek excitement and work opportunities on the mainland.
As I say, not for everyone.
But then again even kids who live in larger cities (mainland) don't stay forever and get bored of the place, so no real difference really. The world is changing too and one day these kids might be thankful for a bit of fresh air and space to grow food, which also opens new business opportunities in the future. Not saying that you have more of that on the Isle of Wight but just in general that we don't really know what kids will value in the future.

Last edited by Moses2013; Apr 15th 2019 at 1:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.