Where should we go??

Old Sep 10th 2014, 1:24 am
Just Joined

bmc9578 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where should we go??

So we are heading to the UK in a couple of weeks and are not quite sure where we should go. We have a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old and my wife and I are certified teachers. As teachers we have the luxury of choosing an area and relocating rather than being locked in one area. We would probably do supply work until we find full time permanent positions, so really anywhere in England could be a potential home. If anyone could help us with some areas that we are considering that would be great. Any information provided on the following areas would be fantastic, or if you have been to an area that you recommend for a young family let me know.

Bristol - We like it is a big city with lots of job opportunities.
Norwich/Ipswich - Small towns with great countryside, but concerned about jobs
[B]Melton Mowbray[/B] - Love the fact that it is in the middle of two big cities, but have heard negative things about Leicester and Nottingham
Devon - Love the area, but again concerned we may not find work as teachers
York - Beautiful area, and close to Leeds and countryside. Quite far to London though.

These are our top picks, but would like more information about them if anyone knows anything. Also any other areas that are nice.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where should we go??

Off the top of my head:

Where are the best/most plentiful job vacancies?

Are there (decent) school places available for your children?

Why is distance to/from London a factor? (This question because you mentioned it, but York/Leeds - Ldn on the train is fairly painless)

S
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol is also on my list for the same reasons. I work in higher ed so like you I could go anywhere near a university.

Consider Cambridge area (my previous stomping ground). There are some nice villages close to the city and there are many schools private and otherwise you could choose from. It's close to London and not bad standard of living (reasonable rent/housing).
Old Sep 11th 2014, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Where are the best/most plentiful job vacancies?
They would be in the troubled areas of some inner cities.

I would locate to the area where at least one of you has been offered a job.

Last edited by formula; Sep 11th 2014 at 10:00 am.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bmc9578
So we are heading to the UK in a couple of weeks and are not quite sure where we should go. We have a 6 yr old and a 4 yr old and my wife and I are certified teachers. As teachers we have the luxury of choosing an area and relocating rather than being locked in one area. We would probably do supply work until we find full time permanent positions, so really anywhere in England could be a potential home. If anyone could help us with some areas that we are considering that would be great. Any information provided on the following areas would be fantastic, or if you have been to an area that you recommend for a young family let me know.

[B]Melton Mowbray[/B] - Love the fact that it is in the middle of two big cities, but have heard negative things about Leicester and Nottingham
York - Beautiful area, and close to Leeds and countryside. Quite far to London though.

These are our top picks, but would like more information about them if anyone knows anything. Also any other areas that are nice.
I remember Canterbury and always liked the town. Plenty of students and tourists, but seemed like a nice place to live.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 2:59 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bmc9578

Of those areas I would say Devon, and particularly the North is best for the family growing up, probably followed by East Anglia. But then I grew up in Devon and would say that wouldn't I.

Checkout the train line and I think you will be surprised how quickly you can be in London from York - it is not as far as you think in travel time and many people in UK do not realise that North Devon is further from London than Sheffield

Bristol and the East Midlands are probably better for job opportunities.

Very best of luck.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Hoylake/West Kirby is beautiful and inexpensive with good railway service.
Wirral was rated 4th best place in Britain to raise a family in some survey a year or two back.

Originally Posted by formula
I would locate to the area where at least one of you has been offered a job.
I agree 100% with that. Strong recommendation.

Last edited by holly_1948; Sep 11th 2014 at 3:48 pm.