Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Where to relocate to in the UK

Where to relocate to in the UK

Old Apr 5th 2011, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to relocate to in the UK

Originally Posted by Droidling
Thanet/Sandwich/Deal will be affected without doubt. I was surprised that through facebook and Friends Reunited at just how many of my school year were employed by Pfizer. I rented out my old flat in Birchington between 1995 and 2002 whilst I was overseas and almost all the tenants were Pfizers employees.
When I came back to UK in 2002 I was blown away at how Whitstable had changed and the London commuters had moved in. Expensive restaurants,deli's,upmarket antique shops with French nicknacks,parasurfers at Seasalter. It was a complete dump in the early 90's,a bit like Margate now I guess. Hope the commuters keep extending their journey times and Margate goes the same way!! There was talk of demolishing all of Margate old town which would be criminal,it needs a major cash injection to entice some wealthy retirees back again but I can't see it somehow.
I had Pfizer tenants when I first owned in Canterbury around 2000 but since then I have had professional students from overseas, government workers, teachers and commuters. Never a problem letting in a very buoyant letting market.

Whitstable has its retail woes like elsewhere and one sees boarded up shop-fronts but there is still a vibrant shopping scene in spite of there being a Tesco megastore up the hill. As you say, there are plenty of quality restaurants in Whitstable and Tankerton, some reasonable.

I not sure when the A299 was improved beyond the Faversham/A2 Canterbury junction but that gave rise to a huge amount of housing development on the hill south of Whitstable. Now the rail commute has been reduced for Canterbury (56 mins now, was 80 mins fastest) by connections to the fast line into St Pancras at Ashford this has given rise to development in Canterbury on brownfield as well as in Chartham. They were talking about the new fast line right back when I bought around 1999 but Chartham is nowhere near the beneficiary that Canterbury West residents are. In line with the plans for the improved link the old retail area of hideous post-war shops was leveled and replaced with the Whitefriars Shopping Centre in central Canterbury to provide secondary retail support in the county to Bluewater near Dartford/Gravesend.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 5th 2011 at 11:04 am.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

ex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really niceex brummy is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnh009
Although I am from Yorkshire, we are living in Malvern, Worcestershire. Weather is good, sometimes 6C warmer than Leeds (check the comparisions with other UK cities). Worcester and Birmingham are easily acessible by train for work, etc. and the area is well served with motorways. Despite all of the jokes about Birmingham, it is Britain's second city, they are investing money into the place and cleaning it up. For recreation, Wales and the Cotswolds are on your doorstep and Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, and the south coast in general are an easy drive away. Otherwise, Malvern is a picturesque spa town with low crime, reasonable facilities, and a decent class of people. If you want more action, you could move closer or into Worcester. Malvern has two railway stations. No ocean I am afraid. Otherwise, I would look at somewhere in Somerset, closer to Bristol. There seems to be more work in the south and the weather is better.
JohnH009. We're moving to UK as retirees hopefully this summer. I was glad to read your post on Malvern. We're oriignally from Shirley, Solihull but have been looking on RightMove - Malvern and Worcester. the houses certainly seem better value there. Are there any areas Malvern way that should be avoided and whereabouts in Malvern should we be looking for bus routes, easy access to shops. Any advice will be appreicated. Thanks.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex brummy
JohnH009. We're moving to UK as retirees hopefully this summer. I was glad to read your post on Malvern. We're oriignally from Shirley, Solihull but have been looking on RightMove - Malvern and Worcester. the houses certainly seem better value there. Are there any areas Malvern way that should be avoided and whereabouts in Malvern should we be looking for bus routes, easy access to shops. Any advice will be appreicated. Thanks.
See also the area around Ledbury (close by):

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ry#post9288622
Old Apr 14th 2011, 8:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
See also the area around Ledbury (close by):

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ry#post9288622
The photos I previously linked to in another thread, labelled Much Marcle and Ludlow, are of course Much Marcle and Ledbury. Ledbury was a place that I could see myself in. Here's the link again:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5398653...7626314545053/
Old Apr 14th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

handyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Where to relocate to in the UK

You might want to check out recent crime statistics on any community you are interested in moving to. These are available on www.police.uk
Old Apr 14th 2011, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

elizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the roughelizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the roughelizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the roughelizabeth_j_gill is a jewel in the rough

Hi there
Just some ideas (sorry if they're repeated elsewhere on this thread)...
A must by the sea.
Near enough to a city for theatre and concerts (1 hours drive or train links)
Good decent shops, not pound shops!!
Picturesque town or village
Friendly, positive people.

Have you considered South Wales - maybe somewhere like Cowbridge, a really lovely little town about 20mins from Cardiff, which has brilliant shops/culture/life about it. My friends live there; it's such a nice looking place and I know they have really fitted into a good community there. It's about 10 mins from the seaside I think.

I'm from Gloucestershire - not by the sea, but the rest of your wish list is answered in Cheltenham. Great location, really - less than an hour from the vibrant cities of Bristol & Birmingham, near to some of the most beautiful countryside in the country, nice shops, mostly positive people
Good luck
Old Apr 15th 2011, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by elizabeth_j_gill
Hi there
Just some ideas (sorry if they're repeated elsewhere on this thread)...
A must by the sea.
Near enough to a city for theatre and concerts (1 hours drive or train links)
Good decent shops, not pound shops!!
Picturesque town or village
Friendly, positive people.

Have you considered South Wales - maybe somewhere like Cowbridge, a really lovely little town about 20mins from Cardiff, which has brilliant shops/culture/life about it. My friends live there; it's such a nice looking place and I know they have really fitted into a good community there. It's about 10 mins from the seaside I think.

I'm from Gloucestershire - not by the sea, but the rest of your wish list is answered in Cheltenham. Great location, really - less than an hour from the vibrant cities of Bristol & Birmingham, near to some of the most beautiful countryside in the country, nice shops, mostly positive people
Good luck
In the Vale of Glamorgan I particularly liked St Hilary, which is just east of Cowbridge and Llantwit Major which is south-west. There is a train service which loops round from Bridgend along the coast and through Llantwit towards Cardiff International Airport (Rhoose) and up into Cardiff. Ideal for commuting without a car from the Vale.