Where to re-settle in UK?

Old Oct 15th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to re-settle in UK?

Originally Posted by onceinalifetime
Okay, my understanding of it is this. The Brython were the ancient Celts, the Romans turned up and decided it was Brittania - the land of the Brythons. So the Brits are the Celts. Pliny the Elder describes it (Britain) as 'Albion' in about 50AD. What he was doing in west Bromwich at this time is debatable, but my guess is that he was there watching a football team being promoted/relegated in alternate years from the celtic/roman premiership.

It wasn't until the arrival of the Saxons, who described non-Saxon's as strangers/foreigners: 'Walh' or 'Wallas' (Not to be confused at this point with 'where's Walhy?') This tradition has continued in the Anglo-saxon tribe, who still view everyone as foreigners, unless they are qualified to play sport for their adopted country and then they are English. The word 'Walh' can also of course be found in Cornwall, walnut (because it came from foreign lands) and the names Wallace Wallis etc. So William Wallace was William the Stranger, but then there is nothing stranger than an anti-semitic Australian who thinks he's American, pretending to be Scottish, painted blue with nothing on under his kilt.

With regard to the cottage burning question, I can assure you that in the current recession, the only people burning down holiday homes in Wales are the owners as an insurance job.
Hang on! I'm a Celt. Are you calling me a Brit?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

onceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kevin747
Hang on! I'm a Celt. Are you calling me a Brit?
...ney or Ekkland?
Old Oct 15th 2009, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

onceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to allonceinalifetime is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rab
Shit, how do we narrow it down?
You could try weight training to improve your muscle tone in the required sphincter. Failing that you could use a rolling pin afterwards. Or possibly try one of those icing bags, just seen this advertised on the internet:

'LET'S GET STARTED ICING SET NO 1' - PRODUCT CODE: ICINGSET1 - £5.75
Perfect for beginners and those wishing to decorate cakes with fairly simple designs. This set includes a No 2 writing tube for piping messages, dots, lines and swirls and 2 star tubes for piping shell, star and rope borders. Also comes with an adapter and 9" nylon icing bag.

This product is currently out of stock

Hmm, someone else obviously had the idea before me.......
Old Oct 17th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

katana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by king kong
Areas around bournemouth /poole to avoid would be , charminster ,boscombe ,turlin moor ,kinson ,parts of hamworthy , im not keen on creekmoor or canford heath .
i prefer poole to bournmouth ,poole has a certain feel and and to be honest id live anywhere in poole except ,turlin moor ,canford heath and creekmoor . All the others i have listed come under bournemouth .
I know a town thats not isolated and has all u want and thats wareham which is around towards swanage from poole .i like the town personally .
I most likely will end up in parkstone ,which has a feel about it too you either like it or dont .I cant quiet put my finger on it but i guess theres a few scallywags there and gypsie familys like the nelsons and the stanleys but i just like it and always fitted in nicely , maybe the fact my grand ma was a gypsie may have helped .
What exactly is wrong with these areas?We are trying to get a list together to view some rental properties over a couple of days & don't want to waste time in the wong areas.We need to be near schools as we've 3 kids so remote areas are out but other than that we're easy.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:25 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katana
What exactly is wrong with these areas?We are trying to get a list together to view some rental properties over a couple of days & don't want to waste time in the wong areas.We need to be near schools as we've 3 kids so remote areas are out but other than that we're easy.
those areas are just areas i wouldnt go personally .

Charminster ... lot of houses done into flats ,can have an undesirable element
used to have an issue with drugs at one time ,but not sure now .

Boscombe ..... same reason as above but most likely still has an issue with
drugs.

Turlin moor in poole..... i dont like the area , always was known for being
rough.

Kinson ............ used to have an undesirable element.

creekmoor .....newish housing are not much older than 25 years , i dont like
it as it reminds me of australia for it blandness . But that is a
personal choice not because of undesirable elements .

canford heath ..... same as creekmoor really ,infact i lived there when first
moved to dorset and it served its purpose but wouldnt live
there again .

Tricketts cross... undesirable elements

Alderney.........undesirable elements

I lived in poole and bournemouth for years and to be honest i cant come up with any more areas i wouldnt live , if you get over there you will see what i mean .A quick drive around an area such as Kinson where it blends into wallisdown you will notice how much better a mile or so will make .But overall poole and bournemouth areas are great .

Areas i do like are ; oakdale ,heckford park ,parkstone ,lower parkstone ,christchurch ,mudeford ,parts of branksome ,winton ,talbot village ,wallisdown

Last edited by king kong; Oct 17th 2009 at 10:30 am.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

katana is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info.We come from North Dorset originally so have only been to Poole & Bournemouth on days out.We have decided on Poole but my only fear was ending up in a rough area.I'm sure the estate agents aren't going to tell you if it's a good or bad area,& all towns have them.With 3 kids I want a nice place to live but don't want to find out once we've moved.
Old Oct 17th 2009, 11:10 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katana
Thanks for the info.We come from North Dorset originally so have only been to Poole & Bournemouth on days out.We have decided on Poole but my only fear was ending up in a rough area.I'm sure the estate agents aren't going to tell you if it's a good or bad area,& all towns have them.With 3 kids I want a nice place to live but don't want to find out once we've moved.
well its a good place to live ,i loved it .Im happy to offer any advice i can .Good luck with your move .