where is nice?

Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where is nice?

St John's Wood is nice.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbd33
St John's Wood is nice.
Are you insane? Yes it is nice but would need the lottery to live there as a family of 5. Thanks for the suggestion anyway!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 3:48 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Louisd

My head is spinning with thoughts on this one but I think work will rule hte decision in the end. We are thinking Rugby, Stratford, Warwick areas to be close to best friends or Broadbottom in Derbyshire to be near my mum and other great friends, the south west because I love it and I enjoyed living there a long time ago. We've decided to leave it to the Gods and let fate decide!

We have Canadian friends who want to retire in Nether Compton or Sherbourne area. They lived there for two years and didn't want to leave. They found it safe, fun, beautiful and always and plenty to do.

There are many areas we love but many we can't afford sadly! We're a family of four plus an Airedale (she's now coming with us after MUCH debate) so essentially we are 5. We want and need a 4 bed house with a good size garden, good schools in the area, good people.

I'm totally confused about what I want as it all feels rather abstract right now. I hope when we get back we'll have time to look around and get a feel for where we would like to be. Again though, it all depends on jobs.
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Cornwall is full. Nothing to see here, move along please! ;-)
Old Aug 14th 2010, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys for all the opinions and no I won't be going to Cornwall- don't want my kids developing cornish accents!!!
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:12 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lousid
Thanks guys for all the opinions and no I won't be going to Cornwall- don't want my kids developing cornish accents!!!
They won't its full of Londoners holiday homes....
Old Aug 14th 2010, 11:56 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Stormer999
They won't its full of Londoners holiday homes....
Funny you should say that, we moved from London to Cornwall and lived in a small village for 10 years. The weather is not all it's cracked up to be, it rains a lot. The houses are really expensive. The roads are shite. And I'm sorry, but I found the small village mentality an absolute nightmare. To put it mildly I can't believe I lasted 10 years.

HOWEVER, the beaches are beautiful and when the sun does shine it's very pretty. We decided we had 3 options after 10 years, move back to London, move within Cornwall to Truro or St Ives or move to New Zealand. We couldn't afford options 1 or 2 and have now been in NZ for 3.5 years.

My mum moved to Devon to be nearer us when we were in Cornwall and she only lasted 3 years in a small village after London. She wishes we'd all moved to Somerset or Gloucestershire. It's soooo difficult to advise as everyone is different. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Funny you should say that, we moved from London to Cornwall and lived in a small village for 10 years. The weather is not all it's cracked up to be, it rains a lot. The houses are really expensive. The roads are shite. And I'm sorry, but I found the small village mentality an absolute nightmare. To put it mildly I can't believe I lasted 10 years.

HOWEVER, the beaches are beautiful and when the sun does shine it's very pretty. We decided we had 3 options after 10 years, move back to London, move within Cornwall to Truro or St Ives or move to New Zealand. We couldn't afford options 1 or 2 and have now been in NZ for 3.5 years.

My mum moved to Devon to be nearer us when we were in Cornwall and she only lasted 3 years in a small village after London. She wishes we'd all moved to Somerset or Gloucestershire. It's soooo difficult to advise as everyone is different. Good luck whatever you decide.
We live in Mission in BC right now and I am finding that same small town mentality which is what I hate. All my folks live in London and I'd like to live there but where in London or on the outskirts is the dilemma. We have 3 kids and we would like to live in a big town on the edge of a city. This is such a tough decision.
Old Aug 17th 2010, 11:09 am
Just Joined

gavinandstacey is an unknown quantity at this point

Where heading to North Wales, plenty of clean safe beaches, great road network, easy drive to Chester, Liverpool and Manchester. Plenty of rural boltholes.......suits us
Old Aug 17th 2010, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

With all this time to think before we actually go back I've started to wonder if going back to exactly the same place is a good thing. At the moment we are heading back to Stroud, I do want my kids to see their family and I definitely want to be in UK. But this area is expensive and renting is even worse.

So I've been researching South Wales, not a million miles away from them (but far enough) There seems to be more on offer there and cheaper housing (we don't need a big house). Plus lots of lovely riding country. Can anyone give me any pro's or con's to this? I don't mind rain What area could you recommend?
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

HEREFORDSHIRE

My grandparents live down there - Wellington Heath, near Ledbury.

Beautiful, unspoilt countryside - gorgeous, picturesque black and white timbered towns and villages - centred around the cathedral city of Hereford.

Easy commuting and direct rail links from Hereford and Leominster to Bristol, Cardiff and the North of England, and from Hereford and Ledbury to Birmingham and London Paddington - 2hrs 35 mins journey Ledbury to London Paddington. M50 motorway passes through the county with links to the M5 and then on to M6 and M4 motorways. Plenty of music and poetry festivals, plus the Big Chill festival at Eastnor Castle, near Ledbury, Herefordshire. The Malvern Hills, land of Sir Edward Egar and John Masefield and Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Land of orchards (Europe's largest cider mill at Ledbury). Lovely country pubs - regular Morris dancing and wassailing ceremonies.

Herefordshire Food Festival - the Italian TV chef Gino D'Acampo obviously likes the locallly produced Herefordshire Food Festival.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxbYHxd9-1o
Old Aug 17th 2010, 10:38 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

South of France when I used to go there.