Where to move to...

Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to move to...

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
3 and a half acres within an hour of the CBD for $300,000 bought a year ago sounds like a fair deal to me.
Thats a good price, where was that?
Old Dec 11th 2007, 8:02 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by manc1
Thats a good price, where was that?
Logan/Beaudesert border ... it's a fair commute for Brisbane but worth it for me
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Logan/Beaudesert border ... it's a fair commute for Brisbane but worth it for me
Are there building restrictions on the land?
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:35 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there building restrictions on the land?
I think we could apply for sub-division now but according to rumour that will be tightened-up in the near future.

Not an issue for us, we like the 'elbow-room' and we don't want to cramp our chooks style

The house isn't fancy (no pool and a 'patio' that somehow survives each storm) but it's a good base with no prospect of being 'built-out'.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I often wonder why people would leave such beautiful places as Cambridge to live in oz? I'm afraid I've seen nowhere in oz that can compare with such beautiful places as Cambridge, Chester and York.
Agree 100 & 10%..I think we have spent our avings while here in Aus trying to find somewhere that will "satisfy" us the same way as say visiting Chester, York..Oxford...and other places we love around the U.K...and although there are lots of nice places here in Aus they don't come up to scratch!!! we just did not realise just how much we love Ancient/Old & traditional...we always liked to visit these places but we took them for granted.....as you do when they are right on your doorstep....our son has just arrived back from K.Lumpur (playing football with his team from Perth) and he said some amazing buildings,shops etc it was busy,busy,busy...which he loves....but still prefered our visit home this year and still prefers anywhere rather than Perth/Aus (that might change in years to come and who knows he may come back to live one da but that will be his choice..it's his life..when I say hat to him he laughs and says "you've lost your marbles mum.." oh to be young again...!!!.....still talks about York...Chester and even going watching Horse Racing at York...
Jackie
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Quite right! I guess we didnt make the conscious decision to emigrate like many of you have. I married an Aussie and we lived in PNG and then in Bristol for a few years before he got offered a scholarship at ANU in Canberra. When he finished his study he got a job with the government, I got a job in education and we just sort of drifted on and stayed here. Had I known then what I know now, I am not so sure that I would have suggested taking the direction that we did. In those days we were footloose and fancy free and would have gone wherever the mood took us. Moving to PNG and then back to UK and then on to Aus was just one of those things we did - took it all in our stride really, grabbed the chances when they were available.

I am an only child and my parents have a house in a village just outside Cambridge and (hopefully many years from now) I will inherit that one day. It isnt the village I grew up in and I would dearly love to go back to the place I grew up in but houses, even the tiniest, start at nearly $500,000 so that aint going to happen!
If we could bottle hindsight we would all be very rich!!! you made your choices and it is easier without children..I know people who plan years in advance and would not move etc because children were in the "pipeline" in years to come!!! now life would be a little bit to "planned" for me like that but..and theres the but!!! some things I would of done sooner...like maybe going back to the U.K a few years ago when our boys were much younger...but fate does play some parts..maybe we were not ready to go...I don't know...but I have learnt life it kind of what you want to make it......it can be hard and not easy choices but you can get to where you want to be one way or another!!!
Good luck on your visit home....we all love going home in the Colder months at home....we love the "frosty" mornings...yes even the ice on the car windows......we don't have that kind of weather here in the suburbs in Perth..I know you do in Canberra....and seeeing Apple Blossom on the trees in Spring is just lovely....although my favorite tree has to be the Jaccaranda? (have I spelt it correctly?) to see a tree thats all blue (well nearly blue) is wonderful and I think we should plant them around the City stadium in EastLands, Manchester......now that would be a wonderful site!!!
Jackie
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:37 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

We could always share a flat on Salford Precinct (feel free to google the area). Very cosy, close to the shops, on all major bus routes (good for getting crack if you suddenly find you are all out) and we would all pick up Polish in no time
Old Dec 12th 2007, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brits1
I think we should plant them around the City stadium in EastLands, Manchester......now that would be a wonderful site!!!
Jackie

Or even in the stadium.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 1:22 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Except that many of the roads in Bath (and in the other afore-mentioned cities) were originally designed for oxon and cart, not 24 wheel articulated Sainsburys lorries. I know Cambridge well too, being from North Herts, and it's every bit as bad. The traffic planners solution in both cases was a one-way system so complicated that Lord Lucan is still circling inner-Cambridge. Like I say - I think Cambridge and Bath are great cities - but liveable? I think not.
So it was him I saw.

Originally Posted by Grayling
My youngest son lives in Cambridge.

I was brought up in Oxford which is also a lovely place.

G
I like Oxford more than Cambridge. If we ever go 'home', I would like to live in one of the Oxfordshire villages close to the M40.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Dec 12th 2007 at 2:17 am.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Or even in the stadium.
Now last year I would of said yes as there would of been more action watching the trees flower but not this season.......
Jackie
Old Dec 13th 2007, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
We could always share a flat on Salford Precinct (feel free to google the area). Very cosy, close to the shops, on all major bus routes (good for getting crack if you suddenly find you are all out) and we would all pick up Polish in no time
Never keen on Salford....being a Manchester girl might have something to do with it...we have more.....taste for nicer areas.
Jackie
Old Dec 13th 2007, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Never keen on Salford....being a Manchester girl might have something to do with it...we have more.....taste for nicer areas.
Jackie
my dad and grandad were born in Salford it was a bit rough but I hear it's better now not sure,I am from Gorton and moved to Cheshire area it's been a long time since I went to Manchester it used to be great as a kid in the arndale center
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Jackie

There are bad areas everywhere, even in Manchester.
Old Dec 13th 2007, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
YES!!! i know that, me being a Leeds for life person

Bring it on

And me moving to Cambridge when I return
Old Dec 13th 2007, 5:20 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Lived and worked near Cambridge, Sister still lives in Cambridge. Traffic is horrendous, with suicidal cyclists everywhere.

My sister has 2 kids 14 and 17. The 14 year had disabilities,so a different scenario for him. The 17 year old has had limited freedom when playing as growing up, she was never allowed to go and play around the corner where the park is (visible from upstairs window), she was never allowed to go to the local shops on her own or with a buddy until she was around 14. At that age she started to get the bus to school and was allowed into the City centre with friends and to the pictures and stuff - as long as she was dropped off and picked up by a parent, I believe the same rules still apply and of course she has the requisite cell phone.

She did work experience through school and charges were brought to her and her friends 'manager' for innapropriate behaviour.

Aside from that, I love Cambridge, full of history and stuff to do with plenty of surrounding beautiful countryside. If you wish to move to Cambridge take a look at some of the surrounding villages if you have kids to raise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.