Where to live in Bristol?

Old Aug 21st 2010, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

lumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura aboutlumines has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Where to live in Bristol?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I lived in Brislington from 67 to 84 and my mum still lives there. I'm familiar with it up to 2004 when I came here.

The only real problem with Briz that I know is the car parks behind the shops in the village. It's a gathering point for bored youth whether on foot or in their cars, which they sometimes race around in.

Most of those shops being closed doesn't help either.

Kids hanging around might be a factor in my mum being broken into three times and the car being broken into in the driveway.

Most of the houses are pretty good on both sides of the village and off Wick Road. Along West Town Lane too.

There's a Tesco there and a Sainsburys just on the edge of Briz. Victoria Park is a good place for kids to play. Cinema complex by Sainsburys and I think there's Bowling there too.

Quite well served by buses into Town and to Bath.
Originally Posted by bananahammock
Parts of Bishopston & St Andrews are lovely, it has some huge old houses & a nice feel to it ... It used to have a lot of students living there but I left 5yrs ago so that may have changed .... St Pauls/werburghs border Bishopston at Ashley Rd though.

Brislington? I'm not keen but can't really put my finger on why, hopefully another Bristolian will come along & add there thoughts
Thanks very much again, that's really helpful Can't wait till our visit next week, I'll be back with more questions after that
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:53 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lumines
Thanks very much everyone, lots of really useful information there! We're going for a visit next week so I'll have lots of questions after that

Two places seem to come up often on my house searches - Brislington and Bishopston - does anyone have any thoughts about these places?

Thanks again
Sorry I can't help with those areas, I don't know them well enough to comment to be honest.
Have a good time in Bristol, if you can get down to the docks and have a walk around there, lovely part of Bristol, my favorite part if i'm honest.
Try and get to " The Buttery " just along from the SS great Britain ( which is also a great place to visit ) The best bacon sandwich inthe West Country down at the Buttery.......lovely
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 10:05 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymad
Try and get to " The Buttery " just along from the SS great Britain ( which is also a great place to visit ) The best bacon sandwich inthe West Country down at the Buttery.......lovely
I'm not sure it's still there. They had a fire.

Correction. It reopened.

Last edited by BristolUK; Aug 22nd 2010 at 10:07 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 1:09 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm not sure it's still there. They had a fire.

Correction. It reopened.
Is the Glass Boat still around. I worked at the Dance Centre as a teacher for a while and supplemented my income by waitressing on the Glass Boat. Fab tips!

Also lived in Montpelier which was really fantastic. I LOVED Bristol with its kite festival, hot air balloons.....just a great place to live and so close to many gorgeous places.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 10:41 pm
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Sure is, took this a few weeks ago when I went back.
Took the pic from Bristol bridge while walking round towards Welsh back with my 5 year Nephew....happy days.Twas the Harbour festival the same weekend as well so plenty going..

See here for a a few details etc of the weekend
http://www.bristolharbourfestival.co.uk/
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bit further out than Brislington, but still easy access to the city, have a look at the Keynsham area - Willsbridge, Warmley, Bitton - good bus links as well as roads. Park and Ride on the A4 helps with access to the city too.

And for the homesick amongst us.....

http://www.beast-clothing.com/
Attached Images    
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:46 am
Running on the spot.

Hi Polly,
Been a while, how are things ?

You have a PM My dear.

Ian