Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

where is everyone moving back from?

Wikiposts

where is everyone moving back from?

Old Oct 14th 2008, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Location: Spain, Friend of Bill. I know a lot, but I know that I do'nt know all
prodigal is just really niceprodigal is just really niceprodigal is just really niceprodigal is just really niceprodigal is just really niceprodigal is just really niceprodigal is just really niceprodigal is just really niceprodigal is just really niceprodigal is just really nice
Default Re: where is everyone moving back from?

Hi all. my wife and I are moving back to UK (Bucks, hopefully ) from Spain. We have lived here for 6 and a half years now, we are moving back to UK for a reason that may surprise some of you. We are moving back because someones
needs are greater than ours, ( IE, the wifes father). He is 86 yrs old and is very unhappy where he is living. He is ignored by his own family and, receives no stimulation, all his days are the same yesterdays. He has an active mind and a frail body. He is blamed for being old.He is partly blind and deaf.High blood pressure,borderline diabetes , ulcerated Legs, which require dressings every 2nd
day, urinal problems, so cant travel far, has had 3 heart attacks. He lived with us before we moved to Spain and loved life then,We bought a large house as we assumed that he would be with us, but he loved Spain and the Sun ,but as long as he could visit for a short time and then return 'home'.
He cannot live here with us as his insurance would be astronomical owing to his medical condition.
Are we looking forward to 'going back' ? No. But one human being NEEDS another, and if we can add to whatever life is left for him ,then whatever that takes then we shall endeavour to make it happen.
Is there any money involved in this? No, he has loaned all his money to his loving Grand kids and they have repaid him by not repaying him.
We could manufacture many excuses to leave here anytime to 'go back' to England ,IE= too hot here, too dry here, ca'nt understand the language here,
'they' are different from 'us', dog muck in the streets,etc,etc, but really there is only one good reason and that is his need and for that we are returning.
What will it be like when we get there? Well we are not spring chickens ourselves, we are both pensioners and we ca'nt do today what we could do 6 years ago, well we will take 'it' as 'it' comes, one day at a time and there will be good days and better days ,but no bad days compared to what Dad has to face on his own.We shall be 3 and 'it' becomes easier when people work together instead of facing things on their own.
If any of us were in the same situation , I certainly would accept help if someone seen that I needed it. I'm sure that everyone of you here would do what I have just related and in your own ways are doing it for your families.
We have made up our minds for this to happen and it will, so any one of you there that are still thinking of what to do, please do it together.
The longest journey for all of us is from the head to the heart .

Vaya con Dios
prodigal
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prodigal
Hi all. my wife and I are moving back to UK (Bucks, hopefully ) from Spain. We have lived here for 6 and a half years now, we are moving back to UK for a reason that may surprise some of you. We are moving back because someones
needs are greater than ours, ( IE, the wifes father). He is 86 yrs old and is very unhappy where he is living. He is ignored by his own family and, receives no stimulation, all his days are the same yesterdays. He has an active mind and a frail body. He is blamed for being old.He is partly blind and deaf.High blood pressure,borderline diabetes , ulcerated Legs, which require dressings every 2nd
day, urinal problems, so cant travel far, has had 3 heart attacks. He lived with us before we moved to Spain and loved life then,We bought a large house as we assumed that he would be with us, but he loved Spain and the Sun ,but as long as he could visit for a short time and then return 'home'.
He cannot live here with us as his insurance would be astronomical owing to his medical condition.
Are we looking forward to 'going back' ? No. But one human being NEEDS another, and if we can add to whatever life is left for him ,then whatever that takes then we shall endeavour to make it happen.
Is there any money involved in this? No, he has loaned all his money to his loving Grand kids and they have repaid him by not repaying him.
We could manufacture many excuses to leave here anytime to 'go back' to England ,IE= too hot here, too dry here, ca'nt understand the language here,
'they' are different from 'us', dog muck in the streets,etc,etc, but really there is only one good reason and that is his need and for that we are returning.
What will it be like when we get there? Well we are not spring chickens ourselves, we are both pensioners and we ca'nt do today what we could do 6 years ago, well we will take 'it' as 'it' comes, one day at a time and there will be good days and better days ,but no bad days compared to what Dad has to face on his own.We shall be 3 and 'it' becomes easier when people work together instead of facing things on their own.
If any of us were in the same situation , I certainly would accept help if someone seen that I needed it. I'm sure that everyone of you here would do what I have just related and in your own ways are doing it for your families.
We have made up our minds for this to happen and it will, so any one of you there that are still thinking of what to do, please do it together.
The longest journey for all of us is from the head to the heart .

Vaya con Dios
prodigal
Prodigal,
I remember reading your story on another post, and think that your FIL is very, very lucky to have you and your wife. What a wonderful thing to do for another person. We need more people like you and your wife in this world, that's for certain.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:01 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Prodigal,
I remember reading your story on another post, and think that your FIL is very, very lucky to have you and your wife. What a wonderful thing to do for another person. We need more people like you and your wife in this world, that's for certain.
Ditto S.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

jackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the roughjackhigh is a jewel in the rough

moving back from Redland Bay, nr Brisbane to Hertfordshire initially,(for some stability) then then move on to Dorset or Norfolk.
Why?.... no sense of belonging here, had a better life in the UK, poor employment prospects, lack of culture, soul less environment, etc
Old Oct 14th 2008, 5:24 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackhigh
moving back from Redland Bay, nr Brisbane to Hertfordshire initially,(for some stability) then then move on to Dorset or Norfolk.
Why?.... no sense of belonging here, had a better life in the UK, poor employment prospects, lack of culture, soul less environment, etc
Where in Herts. jackhigh?