Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

where is everyone moving back from?

Wikiposts

where is everyone moving back from?

Old Oct 9th 2008, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where is everyone moving back from?

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1
Sandra, you are soooooo lucky and I am sooooo envious of you! I can't wait till I'm able to start my own thread of "we're leaving tomorrow". I can't wait till that plane touches down in good Old Blighty again!!!
Your time will come; good luck

Oh, you weren't talking to me, ha, ha, my name is Sandra too
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:22 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Erica P
I am hoping we will move back to the UK within six months, OH permitting. He just needs winning round to the idea right now. We have been here in Vancouver for six months and right from the start I had a feeling it wasn't going to be right for us. I did try to make an effort to enjoy it though. When we applied for our Canadian visas over four years ago we didn't have children. Now we have a one year old daughter, I tried to convince myself she would have a great life out here. After six months of being here I have realised I want her to see her grandparents regularly as she grows up. The time difference and long travelling times ain't making it easy. Skype once a week just doesn't make up for it! Also I don't believe there is anything out here she can't get in the UK.

There are pluses and minuses to living in both countries and until you try you will never know if emigrating is for you or not. It made me realise how much I appreciate what the UK has to offer. In my heart of hearts I don't feel I belong here and want to go back home.
Hi Erica and welcome to BE. If you really feel that you won't settle, then my advice would be to to go now while your daughter is still tiny. Things change so much when you have a child don't they? Good luck to you.

Originally Posted by sandrainaus
Moving back to Surrey from Perth, we leave on Christmas day and it is the best present ever
Sandra x
Merry Christmas.........
I envy you so very much.

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1
Sandra, you are soooooo lucky and I am sooooo envious of you! I can't wait till I'm able to start my own thread of "we're leaving tomorrow". I can't wait till that plane touches down in good Old Blighty again!!!
I'll probably have a stroke if it ever happens to me so I won't be able to enjoy it.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Back to posters thread Haha..

Living in Ontario Canada(since parents immigrated here)
will be moving back to Suffolk or somewhere in East Anglia..LOL

Passports are all in order now, just need to find a good time to sell the house with the black clouds over head????
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

We also have our flights booked for xmas day to return but from sydney as long as house sells fingers crossed
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:02 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sfr09
We also have our flights booked for xmas day to return but from sydney as long as house sells fingers crossed
Where will you be moving back to and how long have you been in Sydney sfr?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

Hi been in Sydney nearly 20 yrs now cant beleive it has been that long sometimes was only going to stay six months ,
The main reason to go back is for family we have one child so only 3 of us here and would like to time with extended family and we seem to spend all of our holidays doing the long flight over there anyway heading back to leicesterhire midlands as thats where they all are and where I used to live ,
Have been happy here overall , but now feel like we want to go 'home' if that makes sense as have never felt like this is home.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Moving from New Hampshire USA to somewhere in the Lake District. Will have to wait till the housing market improves (if ever) but will be back as soon as I can.
Went on holiday a few weeks ago and loved being home. Just like putting an old pair of slippers on really comfortable. Cant wait.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:18 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

I had lived in the US (south Texas mostly; Iowa for 5 years) and returned to Oxfordshire -- which is where I had got job before I left. I was very open as to where I'd live when I got back. Just wanted to be on UK soil.

Had lived in the US for 30 years. Just missed Britishness, though also wanted to be close to family again. I was talking to my mother just yesterday and she said, "you had lived there for so long and become Americanized," and I said, "no, that was part of the problem. I was never Americanized enough to really fit in."
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Moving back from Adelaide to Northampton - probably not everyones cup of tea, but I love it!
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
I had lived in the US (south Texas mostly; Iowa for 5 years) and returned to Oxfordshire -- which is where I had got job before I left. I was very open as to where I'd live when I got back. Just wanted to be on UK soil.

Had lived in the US for 30 years. Just missed Britishness, though also wanted to be close to family again. I was talking to my mother just yesterday and she said, "you had lived there for so long and become Americanized," and I said, "no, that was part of the problem. I was never Americanized enough to really fit in."
Hi Sarah,

I think that is my problem too! I feel like I am losing my Scottishness (Britishness), and fading into the background every year I stay here. There is nothing wrong with being American, but that's just not me...........

I'm Scottish and proud of it, but don't want to lose anymore of myself by living here much longer. I feel like I live in the Atlantic Ocean, I know, that's weird right

But, I feel like I am sitting in a little boat in the ocean, not fully committing to the US and certainly not fully committing to the UK, because my life is in limbo until I do something about it. I've decided to go home and fully commit to living in Scotland next year, and then I hopefully will know where I'm supposed to be. You don't know until you try it

I've been wanting to go home for the last few years, and don't want to waste much more time thinking about it. I will have my US citizenship within the year (as a backup, as no one knows what will happen in the future). Then I will definitely be home by next summer............CAN'T WAIT
Old Oct 12th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahInTX

Sarah thats exactly how I feel. Even though I have lived in the US for nearly 30years I have never become an American. My children have but I could never make the transition. I cant wait to go home. I may not have the big house I have hear but who cares there is more to life than a house. When I went back to the Uk for my holiday people were not sure were I was from by my accent. They thought I did not speak American but nor did I speak Lancashire or Cheshire. Such a funny place to be in. Neither one nor the other.
American is not a bad place to live there are plenty of opportunities and all my children have good lives its just not for me.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 6:45 pm
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by sfr09
Hi been in Sydney nearly 20 yrs now cant beleive it has been that long sometimes was only going to stay six months ,
The main reason to go back is for family we have one child so only 3 of us here and would like to time with extended family and we seem to spend all of our holidays doing the long flight over there anyway heading back to leicesterhire midlands as thats where they all are and where I used to live ,
Have been happy here overall , but now feel like we want to go 'home' if that makes sense as have never felt like this is home.
Oh that makes so much sense. We too only have one child and I regret taking him away from the family he was so close to and who love him so much. I know he had us, but we were so lucky having a close, loving family and although we did appreciate that, we felt we had to do something different. Now we've been away for almost 12 years and I feel the same way as you do. How old is your child?

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Moving from New Hampshire USA to somewhere in the Lake District. Will have to wait till the housing market improves (if ever) but will be back as soon as I can.
Went on holiday a few weeks ago and loved being home. Just like putting an old pair of slippers on really comfortable. Cant wait.
Very well put, that's exactly how I felt the last time we were home.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=St.Georges Girl;6869207]Oh that makes so much sense. We too only have one child and I regret taking him away from the family he was so close to and who love him so much. I know he had us, but we were so lucky having a close, loving family and although we did appreciate that, we felt we had to do something different. Now we've been away for almost 12 years and I feel the same way as you do. How old is your child?

He is 11 now born here so never lived in England but loves going back there and really keen to go and live there I think at his age he still thinks its all a big adventure and I know that will change as he becomes a teenager which is one of the reasons we want to back now . We also wanted to do something different but after 19years the adventure has worn a bit thin
and reading others peoples views seems quite normal now. Is your son still keen on going back if so thats great
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

I think you might have hit on something here. We too have only one child and a very close extended family. The feeling that our daughter has no-one but us makes us feel terrible for her - she misses G&G dearly.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
I think you might have hit on something here. We too have only one child and a very close extended family. The feeling that our daughter has no-one but us makes us feel terrible for her - she misses G&G dearly.
I worked with a guy in Toronto who was an only child (and single). His parents had moved to Canada when he was a baby. When they both got sick in the last year or so he was doing everything for them and even ended up moving back home and of course there was no other family around to help. That really made me think about growing old so far away from any family support system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.