Where do you call "Home"?

Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesick in Sydney

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
After 11 yrs I am pretty much settled here now...but I can remember how difficult it's been and I still have bad days. Funny thing is if we moved back to the UK I would miss the US and visa versa. If I'd been living here for 50 years...I am sure I would still miss 'home'.

We are in the position of now being able to buy a place in the UK...so that I can spend more time there. We will eventually split our time between the UK, US and possibly Canada.
Thats nice you can do that after so long away, having a love of both places JG
I do think after you've spent alot of time in another country, even if you want to go back 'home', you can end up a bit torn, you're bound to miss stuff unless you really dont like where you were. Can be hard not to compare but best avioded ........ remember that song
'torn between two lovers'.....

PS Sorry to to OP - hijacked for a mo

Last edited by birdynumnum; Jul 5th 2007 at 6:31 am.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
Thats nice you can do that after so long away, having a love of both places JG
I do think after you've spent alot of time in another country, even if you want to go back 'home', you can end up a bit torn, you're bound to miss stuff unless you really dont like where you were. Can be hard not to compare but best avioded ........ remember that song
'torn between two lovers'.....
We feel like nomads to a certain extent...it's the cost of becoming an expat.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:31 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

We feel like nomads to a certain extent...it's the cost of becoming an expat.
We are the same, but i'm sooo over it now. Got the wander lust out of my system.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:33 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
UK no not at all
here (Aus) yes it's where i live
but then when i move next year the UK will be home and Aus won't figure

apologies to the OP, didn't mean to take up so much of your thread space
Yes my apologies to the OP too. If I could I would move these posts into a new thread.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:54 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Yes my apologies to the OP too. If I could I would move these posts into a new thread.
i blame gedge
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

i blame gedge
no, I'm spartacus
Old Jul 6th 2007, 1:53 am
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by birdynumnum
no, I'm spartacus
I wouldn't've got that comment if I hadn't watched the program about the top 100 movies the other week . . .

Even thought this has wandered away from the OP's original thread, it's rather interesting, isn't it?

Someone said to me, many years ago, "home is where the stuff is." At that time, that made a lot of sense. Along the lines of if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. (I was in graduate school in Iowa.)

As I said on another thread, until about three years ago I had absolutely no intention of going back to the UK. But then something "odd" happened to me. It may have been my BIL's death . . . though I wasn't particularly close to him . . . but maybe it wasn't so much about him as about my sister and not being there to offer her support . . . I don't know . . .

Anyway, my point is that sometimes where you are can be "home" and then for no explicable reason it just doesn't feel the same any more. Maybe like relationships. But once that feeling overtakes you, it just doesn't go away. And suddenly "home" is where you WANT to be, not where you are. It's no longer where the stuff is, it IS where the heart is . . . for many of us, apparently, back in the UK.

Sarah in TX
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
Anyway, my point is that sometimes where you are can be "home" and then for no explicable reason it just doesn't feel the same any more. Maybe like relationships. But once that feeling overtakes you, it just doesn't go away. And suddenly "home" is where you WANT to be, not where you are. It's no longer where the stuff is, it IS where the heart is . . . for many of us, apparently, back in the UK.

Sarah in TX
Very true indeed, well put
Old Jul 6th 2007, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

wombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to allwombatboy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SarahInTX

Sarah in TX
so true....feeling doesnt go away! it haunts you like a bad smell!!! oh well, its friday!!!!
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:10 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do you call "Home"?

Okay, you've got your own thread, I've moved the posts.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Sue
Thank you Sue. It was gedge's fault...he admitted it.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:25 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

i was just chatting to someone off forum about MBTTUK and saying that i don't post in here despite the fact that i'm moving back, mainly because i don't fully relate to the emotional struggles most posters in here seem to have

maybe what i'm lacking is a sense of belonging
FWIW (very little) here's my thoughts on the matter.

Aus is home. I live here. I enjoy living here. I like Aus. In fact, I don't - it's stronger than that. I love the place. This is home in the emotional sense _ I feel tied to the place and like I could put down strong roots here. UK is home in the family sense. I miss the people, but not necessarily the place. Although there are elements about the place I am looking forwards to, too (mainly pubs ). So, through family and friends, I have ties to the UK, which makes it home (this will work vice versa when we're back in Blighty - Aus will always be home, too).

Home isn't a real location, for me. Home is a place in your head, where you feel comfortable and happy and safe. Where your stuff is doesn't really matter. Aus will always figure, because it's a place I associate with feeling at peace - just like in the UK.

I'm sounding far too zen and like I might have been dabbling in illicit substances, so I'm going to step away from the keyboard now. But I hope some of it made some sense.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:49 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Home isn't a real location, for me. Home is a place in your head, where you feel comfortable and happy and safe. Where your stuff is doesn't really matter. Aus will always figure, because it's a place I associate with feeling at peace - just like in the UK.

I'm sounding far too zen and like I might have been dabbling in illicit substances, so I'm going to step away from the keyboard now. But I hope some of it made some sense.
I can relate to this 100%. Home is a feeling rather than a place. I never felt comfortable in the UK, and therefore never considered it a home. Aus already 'feels' more like home to me. But that is the point....it is entirely my feelings that matter. Saying that, I think the emigration experience has broadened my horizons and I feel confident of being able to make another move successfully now, if it was needed.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:54 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

I think sometimes when we say "home" we mean it in the sense of "the homeland". Depending on the age at which we left, we will have a cultural bond with the UK to a greater or lesser extent. Even my son who came here aged 12 has really struggled with this.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 3:59 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Sue
Thank you Sue. It was gedge's fault...he admitted it.
i knew i shouldn't have asked

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.