British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Where to buy investment property in the UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/where-buy-investment-property-uk-935225/)

Peter.st.giles Oct 10th 2020 5:09 pm

Where to buy investment property in the UK?

As a cash buyer (no needs for mortgage), I’m hoping to buy investment residential properties (house or flat) in the UK, I’m not sure on where to buy since I won’t be living in the UK, I am a UKC. I’m hoping to achieve a reasonable rental yield and potentially the property will appreciate in value over the next 10-20 years, with that being said should I buy near Manchester or Liverpool (northern towns) or London / Home Counties? Any advice will be appreciated! Thank you

FlameAura Oct 10th 2020 5:22 pm

Re: Where to buy investment property in the UK?

How about you do your own research?

And even better leave properties to those who actually want to live in it?

You're not even in the UK.. so selfish. People like you are the reason property prices have got to ridiculous levels.

scot47 Oct 10th 2020 5:35 pm

I agree with FlameAura. Landlordism is a terrible curse.

Pulaski Oct 10th 2020 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by FlameAura (Post 12920746)
How about you do your own research?

And even better leave properties to those who actually want to live in it? ....

You can only invest in property by successfully finding someone to live it the property, and by making the capital investment landlords are making the property available to people who for whatever reason don't have the capital themselves. So claiming that a private landlord is somehow depriving people from access to a home, doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

If you squeeze out the private landlords you end up with a stagnant property market, which is exactly what happened in the 1970's when the balance of rights and protections was skewed towards tenants, and most private landlords got out of the market.

Beraider Oct 10th 2020 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Peter.st.giles (Post 12920739)
As a cash buyer (no needs for mortgage), I’m hoping to buy investment residential properties (house or flat) in the UK, I’m not sure on where to buy since I won’t be living in the UK, I am a UKC. I’m hoping to achieve a reasonable rental yield and potentially the property will appreciate in value over the next 10-20 years, with that being said should I buy near Manchester or Liverpool (northern towns) or London / Home Counties? Any advice will be appreciated! Thank you

Make an offer on the Shard and then turn into apartments. Trump is sure to help out with financing if you're a bit short.

Good luck with that and let us know how it works out.

Mercury39 Oct 10th 2020 10:56 pm

I don't follow the anti landlord argument - some people want/need to rent, so someone has to be a landlord.

No simple answer to your question, going to have to do your own experience, for me having good agents to manage the property has been key. But from own experience of ~20 yrs renting out several properties and in different parts of the country. 1 and 2 bed flats have been easiest to rent and have provided the best return in terms of rent to capital value ratio, also lower cost parts of the UK have also given me better rent to capital ratio. 3 or 4 bed house has been the most stable in terms of tenants, my average is 4 yrs with the same tenant, but rent to capital ratio is lower.

Peter.st.giles Oct 11th 2020 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Mercury39 (Post 12920833)
I don't follow the anti landlord argument - some people want/need to rent, so someone has to be a landlord.

No simple answer to your question, going to have to do your own experience, for me having good agents to manage the property has been key. But from own experience of ~20 yrs renting out several properties and in different parts of the country. 1 and 2 bed flats have been easiest to rent and have provided the best return in terms of rent to capital value ratio, also lower cost parts of the UK have also given me better rent to capital ratio. 3 or 4 bed house has been the most stable in terms of tenants, my average is 4 yrs with the same tenant, but rent to capital ratio is lower.

makes perfect sense, thank you! I did some research and talked to property agents from different parts of the country as well, it appears best rental yeld and value appreciation are in the north, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds etc due to the high cost of property already in the southeast, is that somewhat in line with your experience also? Any particular towns or cities to recommend?

Helen1964 Oct 12th 2020 4:54 am

Can I suggest you try Martin Lewis’s MoneySavingExpert site? There’s a forum there, one section of which is about house buying. If you post your question there I think you’ll get some detailed replies.

I would also add that if it weren’t for private landlords I’d probably still be rotting on the dole in Belfast. How else is a person supposed to move to a new area to start a new job, which may or may not work out?
Yes, it would be lovely if there were an endlesss supply of high-quality state-owned housing available for short- and long-term lets. But back in the real world I don’t see how you can have any kind of labour mobility without a private rental sector.

As I’ve moved around over the decades I’ve been a tenant in Scotland, England, the Soviet Union (yes, even there there was a thriving informal private rental sector) and France. I’m a landlord myself now and I consider myself a good one. If there are repairs to be done, I arrange for them to be carried out straightaway. The tenants pay their rent without fail and look after the property so it’s in my interest to keep them happy.