Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

When you left the UK, did you announce it?

When you left the UK, did you announce it?

Old Feb 28th 2009, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When you left the UK, did you announce it?

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Haa

Ive since gone again. I ended up at the same spot on Earlsfield station in SW London that i used to stand before i went away. This time though there was about 50 million more people. I had to miss about 3-4 trains every morning cos i simply couldnt get on them. I almost cried a couple of times i was so upset at what i'd done. We lasted 4 years back, my wife got a masters in that time and we're now on the edge of rural bliss in Wicklow, Ireland. You live and learn eh!

Have to say though we never really wanted to go back to England. We werent getting anywhere in Vancouver and everyone at home seemed to be so bleeding rich and leading exciting lives compared to us once the novelty of emigration wore off. Also wanted to go to Europe which we did at every opportunity.
Oh my! You have been busy. We get that same feeling of missing out on 'real life' when we talk to friends and old work collegues back home... we miss Europe too. We plan to move home forever but having said that, we're not completely kidding ourselves that it may only last for as long as our patience will allow. Are you in Ireland forever?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:27 am
Just Joined

blackcrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Facebook status updates
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:44 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Are you in Ireland forever?
Dunno just yet. We're really enjoying it at the moment but its very expensive here. Was in Dublin yesterday to soak up the atmosphere of the rugby. We ended up meeting my cousin and drinking far too much. We do talk about retiring back to BC, when we dont have to work. Really fancy those Okanagan summers. Ive really chilled out since getting away from London and basically going with the flow and planning nothing. Where are you in the US?
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Apart from telling your employer, family and friends (who may have come to notice eventually ), did you announce your departure to anyone else? or 'check-out' officially in some way?
You should probably check your options regarding your National Insurance contributions, especially if you want to receive a full UK pension at some future point.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Dunno just yet. We're really enjoying it at the moment but its very expensive here. Was in Dublin yesterday to soak up the atmosphere of the rugby. We ended up meeting my cousin and drinking far too much. We do talk about retiring back to BC, when we dont have to work. Really fancy those Okanagan summers. Ive really chilled out since getting away from London and basically going with the flow and planning nothing. Where are you in the US?
Florida at the moment. Used to be famous for Sun, Sea, Sand and Mickey but now better known as foreclosure capital of the world.... I'm not bitter!!! Much. Sound's like you're all set up. Funny, I had never thought of Ireland as costly.... don't know why I thought that. Do you know, I've never even been to Ireland, how disgusting is that? We should make it a destination to visit once we are back in the UK. I've had many friends and associates from Ireland over the years.... never met an Irish person I didn't like so thinking you'll definately have trouble settling back into London again after hanging with the Irish. We do miss London and the buzz and the feeling of being 'where it's happening', but I wonder once we are back if we think differently. Only one way to tell! Not going back without the Citship though just incase we want to do the same as you are thinking.... retire out of the UK. Good luck with your plans of not having any plans
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:03 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I had never thought of Ireland as costly.... D
4th most expensive country in the world i heard lately. We go shopping across the border in N Ireland. The price difference is staggering.

Good luck with your plans aswell.