Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

When you left the UK, did you announce it?

When you left the UK, did you announce it?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute
Default When you left the UK, did you announce it?

Apart from telling your employer, family and friends (who may have come to notice eventually ), did you announce your departure to anyone else? or 'check-out' officially in some way?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:43 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of
Default Re: When you left the UK, did you announce it?

Originally Posted by USAGypsies
Apart from telling your employer, family and friends (who may have come to notice eventually ), did you announce your departure to anyone else? or 'check-out' officially in some way?
Had a bit of a party in my old pub. Started at 3pm and went on untill..... erm....well...... Dont actually remember

What a day though.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

Chi_town is an unknown quantity at this point

We haven't yet... and given that we only have 8 weeks left we really should.
Haven't told the kids school yet, or even my buddies here (though I know they suspect we are gong and have asked us several times, we have given vague answers...!) DH's work knows of course...

The kids want to have a gong away party, and invite pretty much everyone from the mailman to their best friends! Me? I would prefer to slip away in the middle of the night, then send an email saying 'Guess what? We are back in Dublin!' I am just hopeless for goodbyes. hate the finality of it and the 'we will come back for a visit' when you know really you won't But if it gives the kids closure (and I think it will) I will do the party for them.

As you can see we are in denial big time!

Susie.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

The 'official' stuff we did, was to notify:

Local council to stop paying council tax.
HMRC to ensure getting status of non resident for income tax.
Filled in an NR1 (I think that's the correct form) - again for HMRC to ensure that rental income from our house in the UK is passed to us without the agent deducting income tax.
Notified relevant dept to stop Child Benefit payments.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

'official' stuff, post was good!!! so yes, call and cancel my child benefit, (as little as it is) and sort out income tax.

& for all the other things in my mind that i've thought about. I think we, when the time comes, is to do a send-off party for all our friends on one night...and one for my daughter school mates too.

Funny enough i did a christmas party for her with her mates, as i'm hoping that last christmas will be our last here and she'll have that to remember.

and you know of course about DH's employer, (we are just waiting on them) haha...

i think i'm going to do a drive-by to all my old homes, growing up...sappy i know, but its a way to say good-bye...and i'm moving on.....

good luck usagypsies x
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
The 'official' stuff we did, was to notify:

Local council to stop paying council tax.
HMRC to ensure getting status of non resident for income tax.
Filled in an NR1 (I think that's the correct form) - again for HMRC to ensure that rental income from our house in the UK is passed to us without the agent deducting income tax.
Notified relevant dept to stop Child Benefit payments.

Hope that helps.
yes... thanks for your list - that's pretty much what we did when we left the uk. Now that we are planning our return, I just suddenly had a horrible feeling of 'oh god - i'm in trouble for not notifying/filling out a form for so and so before we left' and walking into a problem of some sort on our return.

Your location is Plano. We lived in Plano for about a year... do you like it there?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

yes... thanks for your list - that's pretty much what we did when we left the uk. Now that we are planning our return, I just suddenly had a horrible feeling of 'oh god - i'm in trouble for not notifying/filling out a form for so and so before we left' and walking into a problem of some sort on our return.

Your location is Plano. We lived in Plano for about a year... do you like it there?
I can't think of anything else you 'should' have done, so I would think you'll be fine.

We like Plano well enough - we're here with OH's job so didn't really have a choice on location - not the most naturally beautiful area of the world for sure but we're happy here. Schools are good and life is easy, so can't complain.

It's a big adventure for us

Hope all goes well with your move back to the UK - where abouts are you headed?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dewdrop
'official' stuff, post was good!!! so yes, call and cancel my child benefit, (as little as it is) and sort out income tax.

& for all the other things in my mind that i've thought about. I think we, when the time comes, is to do a send-off party for all our friends on one night...and one for my daughter school mates too.

Funny enough i did a christmas party for her with her mates, as i'm hoping that last christmas will be our last here and she'll have that to remember.

and you know of course about DH's employer, (we are just waiting on them) haha...

i think i'm going to do a drive-by to all my old homes, growing up...sappy i know, but its a way to say good-bye...and i'm moving on.....

good luck usagypsies x
You're going to do a drive-by! ...but then I remembered you're not in LA!!! LOL Sorry I think that sounds like a lovely idea. You have reminded me of when DH and I took turns visiting where the other one grew up. To see all the places he lived as a kid we just took an easy Sunday-kind of - afternoon drive. To see mine took a 747 and a LOT of driving. Hopefully when we get back to the UK this time we can just settle!!!!! Oh how I hope we have it in us to just settle! Millions of other people manage to keep still, in one place with no transatlantic fidgeting and are happy as Larry. I want us to be Larry too Your kids will love the parties. So much to organise out side of the actual move - you're going to be one busy lady. Keep us posted on how you're doing Dewdrop.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rebs
I can't think of anything else you 'should' have done, so I would think you'll be fine.

We like Plano well enough - we're here with OH's job so didn't really have a choice on location - not the most naturally beautiful area of the world for sure but we're happy here. Schools are good and life is easy, so can't complain.

It's a big adventure for us

Hope all goes well with your move back to the UK - where abouts are you headed?
Totally agree with you. It is an easy life there and we miss that part of it. We really enjoyed Plano/Frisco. People are very nice too. Don't you think the sky is really big there?!?
Yes we thought a lot of the school system. Ours was at Robinsons Middle whilst we were there. If you ever need a realtor we know one that is really great over that way that we would highly recommend. We purchased and sold through him.
We are headed to.... hmm that's a bot of an unknown at the moment. We thought we would go back to Hertfordshire (need to commute into London) but now we're thinking Sussex as that was an area we considered and looked into before going all out and leaving for America.
Are you going to be returning to the UK?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Totally agree with you. It is an easy life there and we miss that part of it. We really enjoyed Plano/Frisco. People are very nice too. Don't you think the sky is really big there?!?:blink:
Yes we thought a lot of the school system. Ours was at Robinsons Middle whilst we were there. If you ever need a realtor we know one that is really great over that way that we would highly recommend. We purchased and sold through him.
We are headed to.... hmm that's a bot of an unknown at the moment. We thought we would go back to Hertfordshire (need to commute into London) but now we're thinking Sussex as that was an area we considered and looked into before going all out and leaving for America.
Are you going to be returning to the UK?
Totally agree on the big sky thing - I keep saying to my son (aged 11) look at the huge huge sky!

My son is in 5th Grade and will be going to Robinson middle school in the autumn (fall)! We probably live in the same part of Plano you did - small world and all...

Thanks for the offer on the realtor contact, we actually used one to find our rental house back in July when we moved over (sorted out for us as part of OH's relocation package) and she was great - we'd probably go back to her if we needed one.

Not sure if we'll stay long term - OH is on an L1 visa which is for 3 years initially - depends on the work situation really.

I don't know much about Hertfordshire or Sussex - we moved over from Dorset. We've kept our house there, so that's where we would go back to, if we do go back.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

You're going to do a drive-by! ...but then I remembered you're not in LA!!! LOL Sorry I think that sounds like a lovely idea. You have reminded me of when DH and I took turns visiting where the other one grew up. To see all the places he lived as a kid we just took an easy Sunday-kind of - afternoon drive. To see mine took a 747 and a LOT of driving. Hopefully when we get back to the UK this time we can just settle!!!!! Oh how I hope we have it in us to just settle! Millions of other people manage to keep still, in one place with no transatlantic fidgeting and are happy as Larry. I want us to be Larry too Your kids will love the parties. So much to organise out side of the actual move - you're going to be one busy lady. Keep us posted on how you're doing Dewdrop.
You are just too funny, i suppose i should watch my words..haha..you got me!

I must have had gypsy parents too, about 13 or so homes growing up...might as well make a day of it - touring

I sure hope to have that 'settled feeling' in the UK and not get itchy feet too...as i've never lived there for more than 3yrs...and holidays.

Haven't forgot about your PM.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:50 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

I did one night on the pisshead express out of Waterloo. I was also quite drunk. Everyone was moaning about the overcrowding, no toilets - usual stuff. I announced to the carriage that i was emigrating to British Columbia and i wouldnt be doing this any more. One person called me a very rude name. Did get a laugh though.

Ironically 7 years later i was back on the train out of Waterloo.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 7:54 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chi_town
We haven't yet... and given that we only have 8 weeks left we really should.
Haven't told the kids school yet, or even my buddies here (though I know they suspect we are gong and have asked us several times, we have given vague answers...!) DH's work knows of course...

The kids want to have a gong away party, and invite pretty much everyone from the mailman to their best friends! Me? I would prefer to slip away in the middle of the night, then send an email saying 'Guess what? We are back in Dublin!' I am just hopeless for goodbyes. hate the finality of it and the 'we will come back for a visit' when you know really you won't But if it gives the kids closure (and I think it will) I will do the party for them.

As you can see we are in denial big time!

Susie.

Prices are dropping like a stone here Susie. Plus the giant super store, Northern Ireland, makes shopping so much cheaper. I was up in Newry yesterday. Just seen another post on a different board about a bloke saying he got a good deal on an organic chicken, 20 euro! I bought two at £7.50 up there.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I did one night on the pisshead express out of Waterloo. I was also quite drunk. Everyone was moaning about the overcrowding, no toilets - usual stuff. I announced to the carriage that i was emigrating to British Columbia and i wouldnt be doing this any more. One person called me a very rude name. Did get a laugh though.

Ironically 7 years later i was back on the train out of Waterloo.
Excellent! LOL Wish I could have seen that. We'll be doing the commute again before we know it. Now your back in your old routine, does it ever feel like you've never been away?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:28 am
Éireann go Brách

Excellent! LOL Wish I could have seen that. We'll be doing the commute again before we know it. Now your back in your old routine, does it ever feel like you've never been away?
Haa

Ive since gone again. I ended up at the same spot on Earlsfield station in SW London that i used to stand before i went away. This time though there was about 50 million more people. I had to miss about 3-4 trains every morning cos i simply couldnt get on them. I almost cried a couple of times i was so upset at what i'd done. We lasted 4 years back, my wife got a masters in that time and we're now on the edge of rural bliss in Wicklow, Ireland. You live and learn eh!

Have to say though we never really wanted to go back to England. We werent getting anywhere in Vancouver and everyone at home seemed to be so bleeding rich and leading exciting lives compared to us once the novelty of emigration wore off. Also wanted to go to Europe which we did at every opportunity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.