Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

When do you stop being surprised?

When do you stop being surprised?

Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:10 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do you stop being surprised?

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Well then, we must move on to the snobs definition. My mum says people who go to the Dominican Republic are wrong when they say they were in the Caribbean.
In some sense she could be right, .... if they sail to the north coast!
Old Feb 8th 2013, 1:57 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Middlemore
When contacting Expedia a few years ago, I asked about flights to London, and the lady said "That's in France, right?"

She wasn't joking.
She just worked for an international travel company.
When we returned from the UK one year, we also visited Paris and Brugge. On attending our travel club meeting (for Rv owners who like to go to places here in the US as a group) I was asked by the wagon master (leader of our group) to give them an account of our travels. I proceeded to give them an account of our visit to include places like Canterbury, Cornwall and Devon. The I proceeded to describe our visits to Paris and Brugge. The Secretary was taking notes furiously and at the next meeting all she had to say was Desi and Jeremy visited Paris and some other places and shrugged her shoulders in a vague fashion. She had no clue where
England or Brugge was. Or even London
Old Feb 8th 2013, 3:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Next you're going to tell me the UK is in Europe, aren't you?

Joking apart, membership of a political association does not alter geography. Martinique is treated by France as being politically part of France, but that doesn't mean that Martinique is "in France".
Well I was talking about the coverage of a phone plan, so technically yes I was talking about the political make up as phone area codes are governed by political borders, not geographic ones.

Martinique uses the French system for their calling codes, that was what I was getting at, does my "North American" plan cover places that use the north american calling code system, i.e. +1. Which The Bahamas, Jamaica, etc. do. I never thought it covered Martinique because it is legally part of France.

Anyway it didn't, so remember that when you see a "north american" plan advertised.
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:10 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
When we returned from the UK one year, we also visited Paris and Brugge. On attending our travel club meeting (for Rv owners who like to go to places here in the US as a group) I was asked by the wagon master (leader of our group) to give them an account of our travels.
Taken in the parking lot at Lake Minnewanka, Alberta.
Attached Thumbnails When do you stop being surprised?-img_1594-copy.jpg   When do you stop being surprised?-img_1595-copy.jpg  
Old Feb 8th 2013, 4:41 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Taken in the parking lot at Lake Minnewanka, Alberta.

Nice one Steve
Old Apr 6th 2013, 5:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Remembered this thread as the administrator at my husband's workplace is taking a trip to the UK and Europe. "So they use Euros in England, right?"
"No."
"But they'll take dollars?"
Old Apr 6th 2013, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

I just remembered this thread too. I was in the doctor's office this week, and there was a new technician there. Of course there's the usual "Where are you from". She guessed England at the third attempt.
"What part" she asked.
"Warwickshire", I replied, drawing a blank look.
"The second biggest city in England is in that county" I told her.
"Oh you mean Wales".
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:37 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
A colleague of mine is going to our UK office for some meetings, and then onto mainland Europe - they've never been to either before.

They were asking me for hints and tips, so I was advising them on the area and mentioned that they need to take a small amount of cash. Mainly for personal things, eg snacks as paying for small items by card in the UK can be difficult, and for using public loos etc. The conversation went like this:

I can take dollars, right?
No, they aren't accepted in the UK. You need some pounds.
Really? I can't use dollars?
No. In the same way I can't spend British pounds here, you can't use US dollars in British shops.
Oh, but I'm going to Europe. I'll just take Euros then.
Well, yes you'll need them for Europe, but you'll still need British pounds in England.
Really? I can't use Euros?
Well, in the odd shop in towns with ports, maybe, but, no the only currency where you are going is Pounds Sterling.
Oh, but I don't understand pence. I dont know what pence coins look like and won't know what I'm paying. Are you sure I can't use dollars?

This is a college educated person working for a multi-national company. I won't bore you with the details at their horror of only getting British tv channels and not US cable in the hotel while they're there, and their relief at having a McDonalds nearby. But really - I thought such attitudes were apocryphal amongst professional type staff. Obviously not!

I'm not sure how much practice it will take for me to master my face and voice into a more professional tone than the one I took today....
Now you know why their foreign policy is the way it is.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:37 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Redwing
I just remembered this thread too. I was in the doctor's office this week, and there was a new technician there. Of course there's the usual "Where are you from". She guessed England at the third attempt.
"What part" she asked.
"Oh you mean Wales".
A delight to read. Thanks.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:04 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Now you know why their foreign policy is the way it is.
I used to manage a team of international analysts, one of whom told me "I always confuse Bulgaria with Bolivia". WTF?

I asked another one to draw Peru on an outline map of South America ...... it was news to him that Peru has a coast!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:10 am
Banned

I used to manage a team of international analysts, one of whom told me "I always confuse Bulgaria with Bolivia". WTF?

I asked another one to draw Peru on an outline map of South America ...... it was news to him that Peru has a coast!
If there was a face-palm smilie, I would put three in a row right here!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Redwing
"What part" she asked.
"Oh you mean Wales".
To which you should have said, "No, Wales is a one horse town in Yorkshire, just outside Sheffield." When there's no hope it doesn't hurt to add to the confusion.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by Zen10
If there was a face-palm smilie, I would put three in a row right here!
A palm-face would really not do these things justice. ..... I forgot, ..... another gave Brazil a coast, ...... but it was a Pacific coast!
It's hard not to laugh at them, .... it's just embarrassing!
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:42 am
Banned

A palm-face would really not do these things justice. ..... I forgot, ..... another gave Brazil a coast, ...... but it was a Pacific coast!
It's hard not to laugh at them, .... it's just embarrassing!
Laughing is an option, until you realise these guys are the ones aiming the nukes
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

We were passing through El Paso, as one does, and we'd stopped for some sodas and stuff at a Walmart, paying by card. The girl at the checkout asked for further ID, so I gave her my passport, which she's clearly never seen, but since passport was on the front, and "accept passports" was on her papers, she read it.

"Gee", she said. "You guys speak really good English"

"What language do you speak in England ?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.