Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

When do you stop being surprised?

When do you stop being surprised?

Old Feb 6th 2013, 2:58 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When do you stop being surprised?

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Not to mention the "meat and two veg" brigade who "won't touch that foreign stuff".
Thats folk the world over. When we were in Singapore I worked with a Danish guy who was proud of the fact that in 3 years he had only eaten the "foreign stuff" once. He existed purely on McDonalds, KFC, Chils, Hard Rock Cafe etc.....you know, all those world renowned Danish eateries
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Just to confuse matters further when we visited the motherland last year we started in Scotland, short on cash hubby used an ATM and was surprised to see RBS bank notes. I explained that some Scottish banks issue their own notes but they were all worth the same, 2 days later in York a nice lady in a pie shop refused to take one of the notes which caused some major confusion.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan Alaska
..... in York a nice lady in a pie shop refused to take one of the [Scottish] notes which caused some major confusion.
That would be because Scottish bank notes are not legal tender, not even in Scotland, though they are customarily accepted there.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:59 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Just to confuse matters further when we visited the motherland last year we started in Scotland, short on cash hubby used an ATM and was surprised to see RBS bank notes. I explained that some Scottish banks issue their own notes but they were all worth the same, 2 days later in York a nice lady in a pie shop refused to take one of the notes which caused some major confusion.
My husband is from Scotland as well. I have noticed that if I start off in Scotland and then go down to England to visit friends quite a few of the shops won't take Scottish notes. I had an issue with a taxi driver who wouldn't take it in London and that was all I had on me. I had to go into a shop and by something and get change.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 5:59 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

When buying food in England with Scottish notes, always take a bite first.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

My American girlfriend couldn't get her head around the concept of different currencies and exchange rates. When she visited me in the UK she withdrew £200 from her Chase account using an ATM and then, when I whisked her away to Paris for a short romantic interlude, withdrew another €200 from an ATM near Gare du Nord.

Two days later she gets an alert from Chase telling her that she was overdrawn and some money transfers hadn't been paid. She'd been thinking all along that she'd actually withdrawn the equivalent of $200 at a time, not #200 in local currency! She naively and wrongly assumed the dollar was worth more than European funny money.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:08 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That would be because Scottish bank notes are not legal tender, not even in Scotland, though they are customarily accepted there.
They are legal currency however.

Scotland and Northern Ireland issue £100 notes. I wonder how one of those would be received in England or Wales.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller

Scotland and Northern Ireland issue £100 notes. I wonder how one of those would be received in England or Wales.
Not according to the Bank of England....

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...t/faqs.aspx#16
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not according to the Band of England....

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bankn...t/faqs.aspx#16
I never said the banknotes were "legal tender", I said they were "legal currency".
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... Scotland and Northern Ireland issue £100 notes. I wonder how one of those would be received in England or Wales.
No need to wonder ..... we all know how they'd be received!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No need to wonder ..... we all know how they'd be received!
Scots spend 100 pounds
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:42 pm

I never said the banknotes were "legal tender", I said they were "legal currency".
You are entirely correct. The two terms mean different things, though the situation is bound to cause confusion.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard enough to get a £50 note accepted in many places in the UK, let alone a Scottish or NI one.
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM
It's hard enough to get a £50 note accepted in many places in the UK, let alone a Scottish or NI one.
Paper money is soooo 20th century!
Old Feb 6th 2013, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Funny how the Scots can be, lived there for over 10 years and never had a problem spending English notes. To make matters worse Clydesdale bank and Bank of Scotland also issue their own.

Never really had a problem spending them in England only the taxis and smaller shops seem to have a problem with them.

Anyhoo thank goodness for the Euro, we are off to Yorkshire for a week followed by a week in Rome DH is now familiar with both currencies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.