Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What's Your reason For Going Back To The Uk?

Wikiposts

What's Your reason For Going Back To The Uk?

Old Dec 9th 2008, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Your reason For Going Back To The Uk?

Originally Posted by viviennef
Hi

I am staying in Australia as its better for my children but I prefer the UK for exactly fleaflyfloflum's reason. I yearn for BBC2 and Europe in general. I have applied for a job in France and am trying to convince my husband that myself and my children should go for a year to check it out.

Kevins reason: The education standards compared to the vast amount of Australian schools is superior. - this is actually false. I used to believe it was but the UK. And at uni level unless you are going to oxford, cambridge, one of the top london colleges or edinburgh you are also not above australia on average. I still kind of find that hard to believe though, it doesnt always show at work.

Pisa international rankings
How 15-year-old pupils compared

Reading Mathematics
Above average:
South Korea Taiwan
Finland Finland
Netherlands New Zealand

Average:
Japan Germany
Taiwan Sweden
United Kingdom ....
Denmark United Kingdom
Scotland has a different education system to England and Wales.Sure there are some Australian schools which are better than their uk counterparts but believe me.My daughter attends a "good school" and I'm not impressed compared to the state primary she left. Remember there are many ways to statistically analyse things.

Cui bono? Ask an Aussie that. The answer the people who attend the very elite ie the offspring of the political classes.The cheaper schools in the private sector (Catholic Schools) are no better than an average state school in Scotland. Ok the kids might wear nicer uniforms and compared to a lot of Aussie state schools seem great.

Most clever Aussies spend time in the uk or Europe
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:25 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

their latin may not be as good but their japanese, i find, is better.

The state schools in my area here are a great deal better than the state school in my area in Wales so demographics I think play a big part. I know many areas of Scotland suffer similarly.

The thing my nephew seems to be missing in his very expensive school are independent analysis skills.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 5:53 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
Hi

I am staying in Australia as its better for my children but I prefer the UK for exactly fleaflyfloflum's reason. I yearn for BBC2 and Europe in general. I have applied for a job in France and am trying to convince my husband that myself and my children should go for a year to check it out.

Kevins reason: The education standards compared to the vast amount of Australian schools is superior. - this is actually false. I used to believe it was but the UK. And at uni level unless you are going to oxford, cambridge, one of the top london colleges or edinburgh you are also not above australia on average. I still kind of find that hard to believe though, it doesnt always show at work.

Pisa international rankings
How 15-year-old pupils compared

Reading Mathematics
Above average:
South Korea Taiwan
Finland Finland
Netherlands New Zealand

Average:
Japan Germany
Taiwan Sweden
United Kingdom ....
Denmark United Kingdom
Hi Vivienne

I'm a bit confused now. My kids are grown up, but i read this thread in the Australia forum earlier saying the opposite things

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=577781

head scratching now

Anyway, i hope you end up where you want to be.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum

head scratching now
Tea-Tree oil is good for nits.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 7:33 pm

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Different study - there are multiple. The one I was looking at is the PISA one and the other was timss

pisa takes 4500-10000 15 yr olds per country splits into england wales etc
timss is set up to measure us pupils and to use other countries to benchmark

Anyway I am not fixated on this - I am really trying to make the point that there are bad schools in britain too and on an overall I was very surprised to see that the UK education is not as fantastic as many brits like to think. Some schools are, but not all

PISA aims to assess the mathematics and science literacy of students near the end of their compulsory schooling. The intent is to measure the "yield" of education systems--the skills and competencies acquired and applied in real-world contexts by students at age 15. The literacy concept emphasizes the mastery of processes, understanding of concepts, and application of knowledge. PISA draws not only from school curricula but also from learning that may occur outside of school. PISA does not explicitly examine mathematics and science curricula and classroom practices, though it does collect information on school resources.

TIMSS assesses students in fourth and eighth grades and selects whole classrooms of students for this purpose. PISA assesses a sample of 15-year-olds in each school. These students range across several grades in most countries. While about 60 nations participate in each study, PISA focuses on the 30 OECD-member nations, treating the non-OECD jurisdictions separately. Comparing these 30 PISA nations with the 60 TIMSS nations highlights the different makeup of each study. For example: European countries make up about two-thirds of all PISA countries but only one-third of TIMSS countries; and, Middle-Eastern countries comprise about 3 percent of all PISA countries but 25 percent of TIMSS countries. About 25 percent of TIMSS countries also participate in PISA, and about one-half of PISA countries are in TIMSS as well. The U.S. participates in both studies.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 8:57 pm
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Because Australia is not and never will be, home. I knew the first month I had made a mistake.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:50 pm
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
So your reasons are sentimental, not practical?
There is nothing practical about living in a country you don't like when everything you do like is on the other side of the planet, an expensive and uncomfortable flight away.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Because I miss family, friends and familiarity.
Old Dec 10th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Hi Jonathan,
If you don't mind my being nosey.....why are you waiting so long to get back to the UK rather than upping sticks and getting there for say, next year?? I've had enough of Canadian winters myself, although emotional factors are what's driving me back home....and I am making plans to be back by next Spring (May/June).
Ruby x
Hi Ruby

In an ideal world I'd be out of here tomorrow, but these things are not always possible. Family commitments etc.

Jonathan