Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What's wrong with Maidstone?

What's wrong with Maidstone?

Old May 30th 2015, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's wrong with Maidstone?

Originally Posted by robin1234
I always assumed Kent would be out of reach, but many places in Kent are surprisingly reasonable
It might be known as "The Garden of England" but the cheaper places could also be the compost heap, or annoying weeds
Old May 30th 2015, 1:22 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
It might be known as "The Garden of England" but the cheaper places could also be the compost heap, or annoying weeds
I've lived for the greater part of 30 years in Chatham and Maidstone seemed like LasVaggingVegas in comparison.

Chatham isn't the compost heap, at least there is life in the soil there, Chatham is the garden shed full of tools. Small minded chavvy UKIP voting tools rusting away.

Maidstone is better in the way that 6 months to live is better than 3 having received an unexpected bowel cancer diagnosis. It's fakking shyte.

Especially when compared to the worst bits of Brisbane. Oh Brissy, how I love thee, how you have saved me from the Kuntish Man and waves of shrill slappers out for a 'good night' (Thanks auto-correct)

Look, if you want to be that close to London (why?!) then just go the whole hog and try being homeless in the centre of it. If you have the body for it then sell yourself, if not then get a serious drug addiction then numb yourself and check out early.

For the love of all that is almighty don't live in Maidstone, it's the residential equivalent of taking up golf. Just don't unless you have given up on life.

Sell crack, go to prison and have an EXPERIENCE over numbing yourself from life.

Hope this helps.

(Hello LIW, hope all is well in your world. )
Old May 30th 2015, 1:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I've lived for the greater part of 30 years in Chatham and Maidstone seemed like LasVaggingVegas in comparison.

Chatham isn't the compost heap, at least there is life in the soil there, Chatham is the garden shed full of tools. Small minded chavvy UKIP voting tools rusting away.

Maidstone is better in the way that 6 months to live is better than 3 having received an unexpected bowel cancer diagnosis. It's fakking shyte.

Especially when compared to the worst bits of Brisbane. Oh Brissy, how I love thee, how you have saved me from the Kuntish Man and waves of shrill slappers out for a 'good night' (Thanks auto-correct)

Look, if you want to be that close to London (why?!) then just go the whole hog and try being homeless in the centre of it. If you have the body for it then sell yourself, if not then get a serious drug addiction then numb yourself and check out early.

For the love of all that is almighty don't live in Maidstone, it's the residential equivalent of taking up golf. Just don't unless you have given up on life.

Sell crack, go to prison and have an EXPERIENCE over numbing yourself from life.

Hope this helps.

on form as ever!

You should note though that Brisbane also has waves of shrill slappers out for a 'good night' -had to change buses in the Valley on my way to the Pig tonight....holy schmolly it made Amsterdam look Puritanical
Old May 30th 2015, 2:20 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
on form as ever!

You should note though that Brisbane also has waves of shrill slappers out for a 'good night' -had to change buses in the Valley on my way to the Pig tonight....holy schmolly it made Amsterdam look Puritanical
I can't even imagine a night out in "the city" to be honest, the last time we tried it my wife got turned away from the Pig. Barred from the Pig, true story!

I really should shun external stimuli and take up meditation and hand my life over to a higher power.

Ummmmmmmm ...... (I fear we may have veered off-topic)
Old May 30th 2015, 3:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I can't even imagine a night out in "the city" to be honest, the last time we tried it my wife got turned away from the Pig. Barred from the Pig, true story!

I really should shun external stimuli and take up meditation and hand my life over to a higher power.

Ummmmmmmm ...... (I fear we may have veered off-topic)
Barred from the pig
Actually i met a guy last week who barred from here, he's a Middlesbro fan and headbutted somebody who wasn't, because their team scored against middlesbro........ Said his feet hit the pavement before the other guy hit the floor
Old May 30th 2015, 5:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Hope this helps.

So you don't recommend it then?

(And all is well thanks. In fact, much better than before.)
Old May 31st 2015, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

The Local is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't been maidstone in years, while they had a good amount of retailers in the town - the outskirts were depressing as hell. I remember getting on a bus going to a place called Senacre (sp?), and the bus had riot style grills across the windows to stop them getting smashed.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:36 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Still the fact remains it is close to London and has beautiful countryside, great walking and cycling, right on its doorstep. I always find this thing about whether towns are depressing is quite subjective...
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Returned to Rochester recently after 25 years - the pubs that are left open only have 10 or so tattooed 'did you spill my pint' types propping up the bars. They also walk the high street falling over not to get up again and try it on in the street as well. 'It's you ya b*stard you killed ma parrot ya b*stad' It reminded me of day of the dead.
My brother still lives in Ditton,near Maidstone,god only knows why. He complained of not being able to walk home from the squash club bar after dark about 10 years ago. Got fed up with 'yoof' chucking bottles at him and so on. There is an accelerated degradation of night time society in many parts of uk,the last couple of years have seen dramatic change. Unfortunately a lot of Kent towns have been at the forefront of it.
I would say Canterbury would be a good punt. With the fast trains now (50mins to St Pancras),but it won't be a cheap commute. But adversely only the well heeled will be able to do so and it always was and still is a decent place.

Last edited by Droidling; Jun 2nd 2015 at 8:49 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Droidling
Returned to Rochester recently after 25 years - the pubs that are left open only have 10 or so tattooed 'did you spill my pint' types propping up the bars. They also walk the high street falling over not to get up again and try it on in the street as well. 'It's you ya b*stard you killed ma parrot ya b*stad' It reminded me of day of the dead.
My brother still lives in Ditton,near Maidstone,god only knows why. He complained of not being able to walk home from the squash club bar after dark about 10 years ago. Got fed up with 'yoof' chucking bottles at him and so on. There is an accelerated degradation of night time society in many parts of uk,the last couple of years have seen dramatic change. Unfortunately a lot of Kent towns have been at the forefront of it.
I would say Canterbury would be a good punt. With the fast trains now (50mins to St Pancras),but it won't be a cheap commute. But adversely only the well heeled will be able to do so and it always was and still is a decent place.
Well said:-) and to be honest I've never heard someone say let's go to Maidstone for a great day/night out Even Ashford would be a better choice, although not that great. I went to Canterbury and liked the town centre straight away. Because it's a student town and has many tourists, you get better cafes, pubs that don't attract riff-raff. You can go to Canterbury when it's pissing down and it will still be 10 times better than Maidstone in the sunshine.
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:48 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be a concensus building om Maidstone. I wouldn't expect it to provide a great night out, but I would like an assortment of pubs, shops, small restauranrs and some species of social life to connect to.

I'll have a look at Canteŕbury. Cathedral towns are often nice. Haven't been there for a very long time.