What's Britain got?

Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:49 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's Britain got?

The next time you get asked whats the uk got that oz hasn't here's 50 things to be going on with hehehehe

Fifty great things about Britain

<A 1. Football
We invented humanity's most popular sport and our top teams are followed across the globe. Oh, and England won the World Cup in 1966.
-- Search: Football

2. Coronation Street
The world's best-loved soap and a quintessential part of British life. Funny, poignant, dramatic and absolutely of its time, Corrie is what Dickens would be writing if he were around today.
-- Search: Coronation Street

3. The English Language
The German dialect that started off in the swamps of Holland is now the closest thing we have to a world language.
-- Search: History of English

4. The Armed Forces
Britain's military is renowned for its professionalism, and its tradition of staying out of politics is a model for countries worldwide.
-- Search: British armed forces

5. Cricket
It takes days to play and there’s often no winner, but with its languid pace and quirky rules, England’s summer game symbolises the country’s calmer, more eccentric side.
-- Search: Cricket

6. Chicken Tikka Masala
Our favourite food is supposedly Indian but is actually a dish dreamt up in Blighty's curry houses along with the balti, another recipe unknown on the subcontinent.
-- Search: Chicken tikka masala

7. Shakespeare
The Bard of Stratford is not only considered history’s greatest playwright, but is also credited with creating the idea of human personality - which is pretty impressive if you think about it.
-- Search: William Shakespeare

8. The Beatles
The Fab Four were pop's original supergroup and their influence on music and the wider culture continues.
-- Search: The Beatles

9. The Fry-Up
There’s no better way to cure a hangover - period.
-- Search: The fry-up

10. Stonehenge
Who, how and why? Questions that have never really been answered about the monument that is one of the oldest man-made structures around.
-- Search: Stonehenge
11. Brown Sauce
Quite simply the king of condiments and an essential part of the great British breakfast.
-- Search: Brown sauce

12. Olympics in 2012
We beat the French - enough said.
-- Search: Olympics 2012

13. The BBC
So much part of a national life that we call it Auntie. The Beeb provides the UK and the world with unrivalled news, drama, documentaries and comedy.
-- Search: The BBC

14. Houses of Parliament
The fake Gothic palace on the Thames with its slightly bizarre clock tower is one of the globe’s most famous buildings and symbolises parliamentary democracy worldwide.
-- Search: The Houses of Parliament

15. Fish and Chips
Is there a taste combination like it? Succulent fish cased in crispy batter and soggy chips drenched in salt and vinegar - heaven!
-- Search: Fish and chips

16. The Proms
An amazing institution designed to bring music to the masses - and who can't smile as the British do nationalism with irony on the Last Night.
-- Search: The Proms

17. Winston Churchill
A leader without whose fortitude and charisma the history of the world would have taken a dark and hopeless turn.
-- Search: Winston Churchill

18. The Cuppa
The world may be crashing all around you but when the kettle’s boiled and the teabag's soaked, you know you’re going to survive.
-- Search: History of tea
19. The Queen
Her Majesty is one of the longest-serving heads of state in the world and is genuinely revered for her devotion to duty - if not her parenting skills.
-- Search: The Queen

20. The Weather
We can’t stop talking about it because it’s so changeable. Who would want the boredom of sun every day?
-- Search: Our weather obsession

21. Monty Python
The relatively short-run late '60s/early '70s show still has legions of fans and influences comedy worldwide.
-- Search: Monty Python

22. The Union Flag
Our national flag is one of the most famous and distinctive symbols around and is used in popular culture the whole world over.
-- Search: The Union Flag

23. The Forth Rail Bridge
The copper-coloured bridge is a remarkable cantilever structure that is still regarded as an engineering marvel and is recognised the world over.
-- Search: The Forth Rail Bridge

24. Hadrian's Wall
It didn’t keep the Scots out, but, hey, it’s the second-longest wall in the world! And no, you can’t see this one from space, either.
-- Search: Hadrian's Wall

25. Kilts
Scots are the only Western people whose menfolk dress in skirts. Whether this is down to self-confidence in their masculinity or just plain eccentricity is an open question.
-- Search: Kilts

26. Scones
Along with a pot of tea and a plate of cucumber sandwiches, what better way to enjoy a summer’s afternoon?
-- Search: Scone recipes

27. Charles Dickens
Along with some dour Russians, Dickens helped to turn the novel into the dominant art form of the 19th and 20th centuries, thus bringing literature to newly literate millions across the globe.
-- Search: Charles Dickens

28. Whisky
The sour taste, the heat as it enters the stomach, the rapid feeling of well-being, Scotland’s 'water of life' is the monarch of spirits.
-- Search: Whisky

29. The Lake District
It's no wonder that Windermere is the second-most-visited part of England outside London. Even on the dreariest of days, the magical mix of mountains, green dales and, of course, the shimmering expanse of water is enough to bring out the poet in you.
-- Search: The Lake District

30. The NHS
Free health care from cradle to grave. It may have its shortcomings, but no one can deny the place it has in the nation’s heart.
-- Search: History of the NHS

31. The London Eye
To some an oversized Ferris wheel but for millions of Britons and tourists alike, London’s biggest attraction.
-- Search: The London Eye

32. Democracy
We didn’t invent it, but our version of it has now been admired and copied for more than 200 years. And we've kept to it: no flirting with strutting dictators for good old Blighty.
-- Search: History of British democracy

33. York Minster
It’s the largest Gothic cathedral north of the Alps and houses Britain’s largest stained-glassed windows.
-- Search: York Minster

34. Youth Culture
After America, Britain probably has the biggest influence on global music and fashion thanks to our vibrant, edgy youth culture.
-- Search: Youth culture

35. Stiff Upper Lip
Whether it's Bony Bonaparte, Kaiser Bill or the easyJet check-in desk, Britons are rightly famous for their stoicism in the face of adversity.
-- Search: Stiff upper lips

36. Eden Project
Built into the wall of an abandoned china clay pit, the Eden Project's bio-domes house a lush jungle of 10,000 trees and plants from all over the world.
-- Search: Eden Project

37. Oxford and Cambridge
England's oldest universities are the only two European institutions in the global Top 10.
-- Search: Oxford and Cambridge

38. The Scottish Highlands
The majesty of the mountains, the sublime calm of the lochs, the absence of restaurants serving food past 6pm, some of us often forget this region of outstanding natural beauty on our doorstep.
-- Search: The Highlands

39. British Inventions
We’ve been responsible for many great inventions and are still commonly acknowledged to be among the best in the world when it comes to inventing. Over the past 50 years, according to research, more than 40 per cent of discoveries taken up on a worldwide basis originated here.
-- Search: British inventions

40. Jane Austen
Rom-coms? Chick-lit? Thirty-something single women with cats? Where would they be without the author of Pride And Prejudice?
-- Search: Jane Austen

41. Kew Gardens
Since the 18th century, the Botanic Gardens of Kew have been closely associated with the best of botany and this is reflected in the richness of its collections.
-- Search: Kew Gardens

42. St Paul's Cathedral
Wren’s masterpiece is not only an astounding example of Baroque architecture, but its miraculous survival during the Blitz has made it an international symbol of resilience.
-- Search: St Paul's Cathedral

43. Wimbledon
British players may be fated never to win it, but the two-week tournament in south-west London remains the best tennis competition in the world.
-- Search: Wimbledon

44. Carry On Films
Sid James’ laugh, Kenneth Williams' sneer, Barbara Windsor’s, er, assets – they may be the ultimate in camp naff, but the films bring a smile to your face every time.
-- Search: Carry On Films

45. HG Wells
Scared by Doctor Who? Thrilled by ET? Stunned by 2001: A Space Odyssey? Then you owe a big debt of thanks to the Victorian writer of The War Of The Worlds and The Shape Of Things To Come, who helped establish popular science fiction.
-- Search: HG Wells
46. Prince William
Good-looking, charming and, one day, our king, Prince William is set to be one of the 21st century’s most famous people and is already a credit to the nation.
-- Search: Prince William

47. Pop Music
We may not top the Eurovision poll every year but everyone knows that Britain is a pop superpower.
-- Search: British pop history

48. Rolls-Royce
Okay, it may now be owned by BMW, but the ultimate in motor cars is still lovingly handmade in Sussex. Along with the aeroengine company, the name Rolls-Royce continues to symbolise British engineering excellence.
-- Search: History of Rolls-Royce

49. Newspapers
Love 'em or hate 'em, the papers are avidly devoured by Britons. We have the biggest newspaper readership in the world.
-- Search: UK newspapers

50. London
Whatever you think of the Big Smoke's overweening influence on national life, it's hard not to be proud of the fact we have the greatest capital city on earth.
-- Search: London

Last edited by louise4; Nov 13th 2006 at 5:53 am. Reason: forgot the 50 things doh
Old Nov 13th 2006, 5:51 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's Britain got?

Originally Posted by louise4
The next time you get asked whats the uk got that oz hasn't here's 50 things to be going on with hehehehe

M&S sandwiches!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 6:41 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh how I miss ready made sandwiches with the calorie and fat content on them!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice thread. When I saw the subject I thought it was going to be a Britain-bashing thread and I would have to stick up for the place. Since I'm unemployed at the moment (I'm supposed to be starting my job - my second since returning - this week but don't have a confirmed date yet) I've been visiting all the beauty spots in Surrey. The countryside here is beautiful and so accessible with so many footpaths and bridleways.

Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Always21
Very nice thread. When I saw the subject I thought it was going to be a Britain-bashing thread and I would have to stick up for the place. Since I'm unemployed at the moment (I'm supposed to be starting my job - my second since returning - this week but don't have a confirmed date yet) I've been visiting all the beauty spots in Surrey. The countryside here is beautiful and so accessible with so many footpaths and bridleways.

What a lovely picture.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:49 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
What a lovely picture.
PMSL

Sorry if you genuinely think so it was the fact it looks like a head stone that did it

No brit/aussie bashing here. it was on AOL this morning and thought i would share

The british country side is truely spectacular. I thought that the scenery in aus was fantastic but must admit it did feel a bit samey after a while but the british country side is just about as colourful and diverse as you can get.

Last edited by louise4; Nov 13th 2006 at 8:52 am.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL

Sorry if you genuinely think so

No brit/aussie bashing here. it was on AOL this morning and thought i would share

The british country side is truely spectacular. I thought that the scenery in aus was fantastic but must admit it did feel a bit samey after a while but the british country side is just about as colourful and diverse as you can get.

Yes, I really think it is a lovely picture.

I grew up in one of the loveliest parts of the UK, right on the doorstep of the Yorkshire Dales.

I'm not and never have been anti UK.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 8:55 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up in one of the loveliest parts of the UK, right on the doorstep of the Yorkshire Dales.

me and you Wendy...Yorkshire lasses..best part of Britain..
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:00 am
forever hopeful

Sorry, think that may have come accross wrong.
I too think that it is a lovely picture. it was just that as i was reading the post i was scrolling down slowly and all of a sudden it looked like a grave
Very strange sense of humour me.

didn't mean to imply you were anti uk. was responding to the poster saying she thought she might have to defend her country
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paulrachel
me and you Wendy...Yorkshire lasses..best part of Britain..

Yep, it's spectacular. My best part was on the road from Queensbury to Thornton right at the top the view was breathtaking. You could see for miles and miles.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry, think that may have come accross wrong.
I too think that it is a lovely picture. it was just that as i was reading the post i was scrolling down slowly and all of a sudden it looked like a grave
Very strange sense of humour me.

didn't mean to imply you were anti uk. was responding to the poster saying she thought she might have to defend her country

Ah, Ok I meant the view, rather than the cross thing - I agree that does look a bit like a grave doesn't it
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:12 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mum's on about moving up to Yorkshire. She lives in Herefordshire at the moment and she said the other night "Trace, you think Herefordshire is beautiful? You wait until you see Yorkshire" She has fallen in love with the place hook, line and sinker!
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TraceyW
My Mum's on about moving up to Yorkshire. She lives in Herefordshire at the moment and she said the other night "Trace, you think Herefordshire is beautiful? You wait until you see Yorkshire" She has fallen in love with the place hook, line and sinker!

If I went back, I'd go to York. It's such a lovely city.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:17 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

If I went back, I'd go to York. It's such a lovely city.
York is nice and quite posh!!! me! i prefer Leeds! Harrogate very posh too..ladedadeda
Old Nov 13th 2006, 9:18 am
forever hopeful

Funny. when we came home all i wanted to do was go back to where we lived before we emigrated. Hubby would have given somewhere else a go but i just craved the absolute familiarty of 'home'.

I think people are very brave to go somewhere different when they return. shows they aren't frightened of change at all and it was the country as a whole they didn't like.
Sort of puts a stop to the cry of 'you didn't try hard enough to adapt' don't you think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.