Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:05 pm
Anglophile Scientist

bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Originally Posted by DarrenP
The 4 weeks holiday a year issue is a huge, huge deal for me too. But more than that, I'm looking forward to actually spending some holiday time on an actual bloody holiday. I haven't had one in years, since I spend all of my priceless time off here visiting family in the UK. Don't get me wrong, I love going back, but it's no holiday.
exactly how we feel ...
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
Chocolate and European wines
Prdon my igonrance - What's wrong with chocolate where UR?
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:05 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

we are stuck in Perth....moving back to UK nxt year
we will be looking forward to:
1. great shops with decent clothes.
2. great food that is truly edible.
3. family.
4. friends.
5. white christmas.
6. N.H.S
7. better wages.
8. central heating.
9. better education for the kids.
10. more things to do.
11. pubs.
12. clubbing.
13. shopping.
14. entertainment.
15. history
16. television
17. friendliness
18. nicer cars.
19. places to visit.
20. being central

My list will carry on and on but i think you have got the message by now. Good luck to you lot who stay...your gonna need it.... :scared:
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paulrachel
we are stuck in Perth....moving back to UK nxt year
we will be looking forward to:
1. great shops with decent clothes.
2. great food that is truly edible.
3. family.
4. friends.
5. white christmas.
6. N.H.S
7. better wages.
8. central heating.
9. better education for the kids.
10. more things to do.
11. pubs.
12. clubbing.
13. shopping.
14. entertainment.
15. history
16. television
17. friendliness
18. nicer cars.
19. places to visit.
20. being central

My list will carry on and on but i think you have got the message by now. Good luck to you lot who stay...your gonna need it.... :scared:
All of the above plus

Cheap European Holidays
Wider choices in supermarkets
Being able to watch TV without a zillion commercial breaks
A Decent Curry
Not having to spend a few hours a day on this site because have bugger all else to do
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

My brother has just returned from a long weekend in Venice. He said he had an amazing time and then said thats the best bit of living in the UK the access to the most amazing cities...I cannot wait to be back!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

We left auckland NZ after nearly three years, we now live in the USA but the things i missed about the Uk are fairly standard.

The easy access to the great countryside, those non native meadows in NZ do not constitute wildspace to me, there is something totally unique about the Uk countrside in that you can be so near to towns and yet within minutes be surrounded by a history filled landscape which varies through the year. Aucklands mild sub tropical climate was thoroughly uninspiring and I found the heat from the sun unbearable on my skin, the sun burns even when it cool there so any extended walks there could be difficult.

Excellent traditional foods and beer, I find UK cheese, yoghurt, bread, bacon, sausages and ale to be way better than anything in NZ although i'll admit you can get some decent stuff, here in the USA its a different story, the aforementioned foods can be awful, yoghurt is often a gloopy mess full of all kinds of weird ingredients and to try and find bread with less than 20 ingredients is a chore.

the tv (i hate to say it) the UKs documentaries, crime dramas, natural history are excellent.

back to the countryside, of course NZ has world famous natural areas BUT to find the better spots you tend to have to travel for ages and hit a national park, in the Uk you can find a windswept hill or a quaint sheltered waterfall in a forest within minutes of almost anywhere and they tend to be 'just' common land, no rules and regulations just pure enjoyment. here in the US you again have to travel to get to the best places but I find the change in seasons even just in the local area mean that the environment is stimulating.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
Great thread-, Yorkshire tea, foxes buscuits, organic baby foods (loads of choice) egg and chips, Ribena, swans, the British seaside (English breakfasts made of rock!) joke shops, JD Wetherspoons, fireworks night (Hello- If you have this in Nov it gets dark enough to see the bloody things!!) hedgehogs, cheese and pickle sarnies..

OOH I could go on and on but I won't bore you all!

hayley, i'll agree JD wetherspoons is a great place to drink, good ales and some interesting characters, i actually brought a stack of yorkshire t with me.

bugman.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonthelad
What a staggeringly good post.

I'm so very homesick... If anyone's got Bill Bryson's 'Notes From A Small Island', read the part where he is on the overcliff in Bournemouth, looking out over the nightime lights twinkling down in town and reflecting in the bay... it's quite beautiful and it's my home and what I miss (well that and a million other things).

I'm looking forward to an opportunity to visit and see it all and sample all the things Hayley noted.

Sorry for the moan... not a good day

Jon, i know EXACTLY how you feel, when i was in NZ I felt down a lot of the time however here in Illinois I love the seasons and I know im only one flight from manny airport, i get the occasional day where i do miss the Uk so i'll watch prime suspect or even rick stein! Its funny but NZ was more like the UK but for that reason i didnt see the point of being there, with the USA its a new place so i enjoy it more here.

bugman
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aaron8123
Being able to watch TV without a zillion commercial breaks
I always remember watching films on Aussie TV and the first set of ads would come after about 20mins, the next set after 18, then 15. By the time you got to the last half hour of the film, the ads would be every 7 minutes. Used to drive me nuts!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:25 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bugman
hayley, i'll agree JD wetherspoons is a great place to drink, good ales and some interesting characters, i actually brought a stack of yorkshire t with me.

bugman.
Like the lack of music cause then you don't get townie and you can have a lively conversation.

Have the in-laws visiting in sept there's a heavy Yorkshire t tariff imposed on visitors!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
My brother has just returned from a long weekend in Venice. He said he had an amazing time and then said thats the best bit of living in the UK the access to the most amazing cities...I cannot wait to be back!
We had so much trouble trying to decide where to go for a family holiday because of all the places that ticked the right boxes for us: Corsica, Provence, Pyrenees, Tuscany, Italian Lakes, Sicily, Sardinia,...and so on. There is just so much choice...too much choice!!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:38 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
We had so much trouble trying to decide where to go for a family holiday because of all the places that ticked the right boxes for us: Corsica, Provence, Pyrenees, Tuscany, Italian Lakes, Sicily, Sardinia,...and so on. There is just so much choice...too much choice!!
Sigh!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

I always remember watching films on Aussie TV and the first set of ads would come after about 20mins, the next set after 18, then 15. By the time you got to the last half hour of the film, the ads would be every 7 minutes. Used to drive me nuts!
pmsl

We thought the same thing the other night whilst watching a film. We were so annoyed that we timed it. For every 10 mins of film we got 5 mins of ads. To make things worse they put kids movies on at 8pm. Due to the ads they don't finish till gone 10pm at best - what time is this for kids

I have decided today that I am looking forward to people being able to say the word 'sorry'. If somebody knocks into you in the shops you get glared at... I guess that it has to be your fault for being in the shop at the same time. Today my daughter nearly got hit after the lollipop man 'wearing bright clothes and a stop sign in a 40 limit' blew his whistle for her to cross. The driver of the car was another mum and she just walked straight passed us at school and never appologised! What is happening here
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

aaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant futureaaron8123 has a brilliant future

Spooky that you mentioned the above as we are due back on 16th August and I am booking a 1 week break to sardinia in Sept. It has been somewhere I have wanted to go to for years but never got around to it. I think that coming out here as made us realise to grab life's opportunites and not live for tomorrow, we put much on hold on the build up to coming here thinking we can make up for it when we get here, but it has been such a disappointment.

I cannot explain it but we only holidayed in Sydney here for a five day break and I hated it, the harbour was nice but not much else. I think anywhere I would have gone in Oz would have been shrouded by the fact I do not like it here. People are saying go and at explore oz before you come back, but we have no inclination to do that whatsoever. Sums it up for us really.

Anyway just rambling. Cannot wait to get home
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
Prdon my igonrance - What's wrong with chocolate where UR?
I guess that your taste buds get used to one kind of thing. My favourite has always been Cadbury's dairy milk. When we got here we found that it tasted so much different. They have to change the ingredients so that the chocolate doesn't melt in the shops. This leaves it with in my opinion a plastic type of texture and a weird taste. I have now gone over to Dove which is very nice here

I just need to find reasonable priced sausages that taste halfway decent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.