Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

Pickled red cabbage. I have been craving it for weeks, mouth waters at the mere thought of it, if you offered me sex with brad pitt or red cabbage I would go for the red cabbage thats how bad the craving is.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:33 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Pickled red cabbage. I have been craving it for weeks, mouth waters at the mere thought of it, if you offered me sex with brad pitt or red cabbage I would go for the red cabbage thats how bad the craving is.

I make a mean pickled cabbage.

Forgot to add that to my things to do in autumn list.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

karaokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of lightkaraokeM is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geordie George
I make a mean pickled cabbage.

Forgot to add that to my things to do in autumn list.
I miss lots of things too, decent fish and chips, eccles cakes,ploughmans lunches, decent clothes, shoes, I could go on and on, you take it all for granted when your there!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: what are you looking forward to most about moving back home?

I don't like cabbage, but I would definitely go for the red cabbage every time given those options!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Never tried it... sounds like a weird pregnancy craving! is there something that you need to announce

I have also missed being able to buy trousers that don't finish under the arm pit.... anybody would think that all Australians were 6ft tall
Old Jul 27th 2006, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
Great thread- I have some serious some lighthearted...

controversial conversations (politics, religion sex et al) , Pubs (now that they are smoke free I'm in heaven!!) Tesco finest range, British sense of humour (even by random people- I have a memory of standing in line at a football match and a policeman said 'get in the far queue' instantly someone piped up- 'well f**k you too mate.' would NEVER happen in the US- and I can't even explain to anyone here how I find something so scandalous funny!!)

the music (loads of guitar bands) roundabouts (and people who know how to use them) softer grass that doesn't need sprinklers, 50p pieces, strongbow, pickled onions, better education system, less consumerism, less judgement, more diversity, not having to own a car and great trains, people who walk, not having to be perfect, school uniforms, accents all around me,

alcopops, penny sweets, realism on TV, magazines, day trips, Ryan air to Europe, drizzle, not having to live in a climate controlled bubble, greengrocers, Yorkshire pudding, silly headlines in the mirror, football matches, chip butties, not needing to have a personal relationship with wait staff, not offending anyone, living in a house that is reasonably sized instead of 'needing' 2 bathrooms and a playroom for the kids, council tax instead of property tax, no water/sewage/garbage, thatched cottages,

4 weeks holiday at work, christmas, people having access to beta blockers, people saying sorry for no reason at all, sheep in the fields and lambing season, Yorkshire tea, foxes buscuits, organic baby foods (loads of choice) egg and chips, Ribena, swans, the British seaside (English breakfasts made of rock!) joke shops, JD Wetherspoons, fireworks night (Hello- If you have this in Nov it gets dark enough to see the bloody things!!) hedgehogs, cheese and pickle sarnies..

OOH I could go on and on but I won't bore you all!
You have been thinking about this for a long time, haven't you? I can't believe how many of those things I missed from my list! It's also too HOT and humid here for fireworks in July. There's nothing like it in November, with a nice mug of hot soup.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn! I've not even left (again) yet and this thread is making me want to cry about missing England!!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 5:01 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe I missed wendledale (can't spell) cheese, of course I meant that in my cheese and pickle sarnies.
you are right that I've had a long time to think about this but I still come up with more and more everyday- most of which are too random to mention- for instance I was really sad the other day because I went to the library and I was thinking about the walk to the library in my home town which cuts across the Fields.
I read a great thread the other day where someone said why they miss england and they said because you can't just dismiss years of history in a country that has made you who you are. 'bout sums it up for me.
Old Jul 28th 2006, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future

Just had an authentic english curry!......oh the bliss
Old Jul 28th 2006, 9:31 pm
love the life i live

Mysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
Most definitely- went on www.next.co.uk and they have their sale on- sigh!

It sure was a strange sale i went on the 3rd day an could'nt believe the amount of stuff i could buy (sorry not trying to make you jealous )
usually there is nothing left (on the second day) so i asked the assistant an she said it had been extremely quiet i have never known that to happen all the years i have been going although it was a refreshing change so i made the most of it as who knows when i'll ever go there again i must admit i will miss it
(a little)
Old Jul 29th 2006, 4:47 am
Banned

NigelTuffnall is just really niceNigelTuffnall is just really niceNigelTuffnall is just really niceNigelTuffnall is just really niceNigelTuffnall is just really niceNigelTuffnall is just really niceNigelTuffnall is just really niceNigelTuffnall is just really niceNigelTuffnall is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mysterio
It sure was a strange sale i went on the 3rd day an could'nt believe the amount of stuff i could buy (sorry not trying to make you jealous )
usually there is nothing left (on the second day) so i asked the assistant an she said it had been extremely quiet i have never known that to happen all the years i have been going although it was a refreshing change so i made the most of it as who knows when i'll ever go there again i must admit i will miss it
(a little)
You should have bought a Caps Lock button
Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NigelTuffnall
Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susiq
hi

i have this huge list that i am so looking forward to about going back home for good. mainly tesco's and M&S lol. but there are loads and i mean loads of other things as well. on the other hand the only reason i would stay here in france is the price of property and the health service (and not in that order lol). but you do pay hugly for the health service (no probs as far as i'm concerned as you get value for money here).

just wondered what everyone else was looking forward to going home for (i don't mean family freinds etc, the more material things

susi
I am looking forward to being close to my family (mum, dad, sister, brother, aunts, uncles, cousins). I can't wait. To be all in the same time zone, to be able to get in my car and DRIVE to see them (not have to fly) is going to be great. Being able to go to European cities for not much money and in a short flight time will be awesome. I can't wait! This time next year I will be moving back. I can't wait! I miss the UK and Europe so much.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:31 pm
love the life i live

Mysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond reputeMysterio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NigelTuffnall

WE CAN'T ALL BE AS WELL EDUCATED AS YOU
but i'm happy
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:01 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

well I'm not going back to the UK as we love being overseas but just having come back from a 6 week vaca from there this is what I REALLY miss....

curry takeaways
Sainsburys
quality and amount of kids clothing
decent newspapers
mint choc chip ice cream
summer nites outside in the light after 6pm (its pitch black here by then!)
no mosquitos
nursery options for the babes
good BBQ meats
pre-packed salads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.