Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What are you doing for the Diamond Jubilee this week/end?

What are you doing for the Diamond Jubilee this week/end?

Old May 30th 2012, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you doing for the Diamond Jubilee this week/end?

we are having a street party here in Spain, we had the largest Royal Wedding party on the Costa Blanca and we are aiming to do the same this time. We are only a small urbanisation not a town. Red.white/blue cakes made, table decorations, bunting and much, much, more.
Old May 30th 2012, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

intant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant futureintant has a brilliant future

We're having a street part in my garden here in Chicago, a big envelope just arrived from a friend in Norfolk with miles of bunting and flags. The menu so far is Sausage rolls, Black pudding, Haggis, Bangers and Mash, Cottage Pie, Coronation Chicken, Sherry Trifle, Scones with Strawberry Jam and Devon Clotted Cream and Victoria Sponge.
One brit (me), one Scot and thirty Americans who will be made to sing Jerusalem and the National Anthem if they want to eat!
Old May 31st 2012, 12:35 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to add a virtual street party thread in this section, but I see you are already discussing it

Me too, feel a little jealous that I am not there in the UK to enjoy all the atmosphere.
Old May 31st 2012, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Mircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura aboutMircha has a spectacular aura about

My boyfriend is coming from Canada so I will be spending the weekend with him and going to have a picnic in Hyde or Battersea Park to watch the flotilla boat pageant. Will make him swap the maple leaf for mini union jack flags for this weekend
Old May 31st 2012, 2:29 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: What are you doing for the Diamond Jubilee this week/end?

Well, I will try to catch a few mins of watching the pageant; the flotilla of boats with the Royal family sailing up the Thames on BBC America on Sunday morning:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/diamond-jubilee/

http://www.bbcamerica.com/diamond-jubilee/schedule/ (for US viewers)

Then I'll be busy making sandwiches and cakes as I'm having a little gathering in my back garden in New Jersey to celebrate the Jubilee. I've got a couple of bottles of Pimm's which I bought at the LHR Duty Free shop earlier this month and bunting which I bought in a pound shop

There are loads of Jubilee themed recipes here:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/r...sions/jubilee/

I'm definitely making the British flag cake! Probably the trifle as well
Old May 31st 2012, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well, I will try to catch a few mins of watching the pageant; the flotilla of boats with the Royal family sailing up the Thames on BBC America on Sunday morning:

http://www.bbcamerica.com/diamond-jubilee/

http://www.bbcamerica.com/diamond-jubilee/schedule/ (for US viewers)

Then I'll be busy making sandwiches and cakes as I'm having a little gathering in my back garden in New Jersey to celebrate the Jubilee. I've got a couple of bottles of Pimm's which I bought at the LHR Duty Free shop earlier this month and bunting which I bought in a pound shop

There are loads of Jubilee themed recipes here:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/r...sions/jubilee/

I'm definitely making the British flag cake! Probably the trifle as well
Thanks for the links
Old May 31st 2012, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I was going to add a virtual street party thread in this section, but I see you are already discussing it

Me too, feel a little jealous that I am not there in the UK to enjoy all the atmosphere.
Yes it sounds like there's a great atmosphere over there.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 1:17 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I know. I'm soooo jealous.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Me to. I so wish to be there in the UK.

We're going to a Queens Birthday High Tea, Sunday afternoon , at a local venue to us. It's a fund raising event for our village hall.
Quite a lot of the older generation Kiwis around us are right into the Queen & Monarchy so it should be a good time. Hoping for the Hokey Cokey.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 7:21 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

There are flags and bunting everywhere round us, and I've seen tons of posters advertising festivities in the surrounding towns and villages. Every store has displays of union jack products - homewares stores have big displays of union jack cushions, duvet covers, tea towels, plates, mugs etc. The clothes shops have union jack t-shirts. Homebase has union jack deckchairs. And in one furniture store we went in there was a massive union jack sofa! We're not particularly into the royals so we won't be bothering, but it is nice to see so many people feeling a little bit of national pride. Plus all this patriotism has to be helping the economy. Once the jubilee and the Olympics are over, the recession is bound to get worse.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 8:08 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue

Same here, I would dearly love to be in the UK enjoying the atmosphere now.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
Same here, I would dearly love to be in the UK enjoying the atmosphere now.
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeee too!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
There are flags and bunting everywhere round us, and I've seen tons of posters advertising festivities in the surrounding towns and villages. Every store has displays of union jack products - homewares stores have big displays of union jack cushions, duvet covers, tea towels, plates, mugs etc. The clothes shops have union jack t-shirts. Homebase has union jack deckchairs. And in one furniture store we went in there was a massive union jack sofa! We're not particularly into the royals so we won't be bothering, but it is nice to see so many people feeling a little bit of national pride. Plus all this patriotism has to be helping the economy. Once the jubilee and the Olympics are over, the recession is bound to get worse.
My friend was telling me there's a massive new shopping mall right by Stratford station leading into the Olympic stadium, so there must be some confidence in the economy. I hope you all have a lot of fun over there this summer.
Old Jun 1st 2012, 3:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

My friend was telling me there's a massive new shopping mall right by Stratford station leading into the Olympic stadium, so there must be some confidence in the economy. I hope you all have a lot of fun over there this summer.
They're opening a huge new shopping mall right in the centre of Leeds along with a big new arena. Both look lovely but I think to a large extent, these were projects that were started prior to the financial crash. I'm the world's biggest optimist but even I think that the UK economy is being kept afloat by the Olympics. Hope I'm wrong!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 3:40 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue

Me 3, 4 & 5
I would love to be there right now feeling some pride in my Country!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.