British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   What are you doing for Christmas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/what-you-doing-christmas-779943/)

brits1 Dec 7th 2012 5:14 pm

What are you doing for Christmas

Hi, I was looking at photo's yesterday to send to my friend when I noticed that they were taken on holiday on Christmas Eve.... last year!!! where did the time go? This year our plans are up in the air (the first time this has happened for a few years and it feels.......strange..lol ) so just wondered how your going to be spending Christmas?....I am going to have to give myself a nudge soon or else we will miss the boat. Went to the Manchester Christmas markets last weekend and even went to the Walk about Bar, my first time there AND it was packed must of had something to do with the Rugby as there was quite a few New Zealanders there all having a smashing time. Best wishes to everyone for the Holidays and hope the New Year brings good things.

feelbritish Dec 7th 2012 5:52 pm

Re: What are you doing for Christmas

My OH and I are going to Cape Town. I have not been with my family for Christmas for 10 years and am really looking forward to it. Now if we could just get over these colds before we go :fingerscrossed:

I wish everyone here also a Merry Christmas!

MnB Dec 7th 2012 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10421790)
Hi, I was looking at photo's yesterday to send to my friend when I noticed that they were taken on holiday on Christmas Eve.... last year!!! where did the time go? This year our plans are up in the air (the first time this has happened for a few years and it feels.......strange..lol ) so just wondered how your going to be spending Christmas?....I am going to have to give myself a nudge soon or else we will miss the boat. Went to the Manchester Christmas markets last weekend and even went to the Walk about Bar, my first time there AND it was packed must of had something to do with the Rugby as there was quite a few New Zealanders there all having a smashing time. Best wishes to everyone for the Holidays and hope the New Year brings good things.

Happy holidays to you too.......the Christmas spirit is beginning to seep in!! Mad panic at work getting ready for our Christmas Fayre tomorrow, spent yesterday helping build Santa's Gotto, just in time 'cause he's just been driven around our Close on the back of a truck playing very loud Christmas carols ;).... lovely to see the little children that live opposite outside waving like mad aaahhh!

Our Christmas will be spent relaxing at home with family.....might include a walk to the pub on Boxing day :fingerscrossed:then back to work :(

Seasons greetings & best wishes for 2013 to all.

MissBetty Dec 7th 2012 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10421790)

I'm working Xmas and Boxing Day - for the 4th year in a row - but I get NYE's off which is awesome!

I'll be by myself at my little station but I'll be prepared, lots of nice food in, some chocs and a Xmas movie - of course! I'll Skype my family in the UK at 6pm my time and we will open our presents together :thumbsup:

This will be my last Xmas here so I'm just going to make the most of it. If its not raining (wet season here!) I might go for a drive on the beach in our 4 wheel drive ambulance and wish everyone down there a happy Christmas, lots of kids like to have their picture taken pretending to drive the ambulance - so cute!

Well I'd like to wish everyone on here a Merry Christmas wherever you are and whatever your plans are! :starsmile:

vikingsail Dec 7th 2012 9:53 pm

I'm leaving sunny Nebraska by the Sea to visit N. Yorks. I see the weather is already cooperating with my desires! ( I understand others might not like it). But I am looking forward to seeing family, friends, warm houses, good pubs and lots of walking those moor areas and windswept beaches. Merry Christmas

:santa:

Mummy in the foothills Dec 8th 2012 2:48 am

Just me, Dh and Dd this year. :( It's going to be so quiet.

brissybee Dec 8th 2012 4:18 am

Does anyone still go carolling, stopping at people's front doors?

The only thing we get these days is trick or treaters with eggs. :frown:

brits1 Dec 8th 2012 8:17 am

Originally Posted by MissBetty (Post 10422194)
I'm working Xmas and Boxing Day - for the 4th year in a row - but I get NYE's off which is awesome!

I'll be by myself at my little station but I'll be prepared, lots of nice food in, some chocs and a Xmas movie - of course! I'll Skype my family in the UK at 6pm my time and we will open our presents together :thumbsup:

This will be my last Xmas here so I'm just going to make the most of it. If its not raining (wet season here!) I might go for a drive on the beach in our 4 wheel drive ambulance and wish everyone down there a happy Christmas, lots of kids like to have their picture taken pretending to drive the ambulance - so cute!

Well I'd like to wish everyone on here a Merry Christmas wherever you are and whatever your plans are! :starsmile:

Which Christmas movie do you have planned? I watched (while doing some ironing :() A White Christmas.....a real olde now but still one of my favorites lol....also just watched Jingle All the Way with Arnie it reminded me of trying to buy Buzz Lightyear and Woody one Christmas for our two boys, it was pretty much like the movie lol. Hope you get to have your drive on the beach.

brits1 Dec 8th 2012 8:26 am

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 10422228)
I'm leaving sunny Nebraska by the Sea to visit N. Yorks. I see the weather is already cooperating with my desires! ( I understand others might not like it). But I am looking forward to seeing family, friends, warm houses, good pubs and lots of walking those moor areas and windswept beaches. Merry Christmas

:santa:

After spending hot Christmases in Perth W.A when we use to come home to the UK for Christmas we soooo wanted the cold crisp weather, people here thought we were mad lol.....we were in York not so long ago and it looked all "Charles Dickens" with the weather, will you be in time for all the Christmas Markets that happen around the country, we love them, really get you in the mood.

MissBetty Dec 8th 2012 9:00 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10422836)
Which Christmas movie do you have planned? I watched (while doing some ironing :() A White Christmas.....a real olde now but still one of my favorites lol....also just watched Jingle All the Way with Arnie it reminded me of trying to buy Buzz Lightyear and Woody one Christmas for our two boys, it was pretty much like the movie lol. Hope you get to have your drive on the beach.

I still love 'Its a Wonderful Life' and 'Meet Me In St Louis', fab movies! I also always watch 'Auntie Mame', not a traditional Xmas movie I guess but one year when I was stuck in the Outback and feeling crap it was on Xmas Day. Rosalind Russell was hilarious in it and I laughed so much it really cheered me up - its now a firm Xmas movie favourite with me :)

I know what you mean about wanting a cold Xmas too, it never really feels like Xmas here to me - just another day really! The Xmas markets sound so fab, I do miss them still, next year, I'll be back home for Xmas - can't wait!!! Hope you have a fab Xmas with your family! :thumbsup:

TopNik Dec 10th 2012 5:54 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10422850)
After spending hot Christmases in Perth W.A when we use to come home to the UK for Christmas we soooo wanted the cold crisp weather, people here thought we were mad lol.....we were in York not so long ago and it looked all "Charles Dickens" with the weather, will you be in time for all the Christmas Markets that happen around the country, we love them, really get you in the mood.

I totally agree with you, the colder the better!

Unfortunately, I will be spending my second Christmas here in the sandpit, I was supposed to be going back to the UK but now I can't :thumbdown:

Bring on next Christmas and let it snow, let it snow, let it snow, HO, Ho Ho :thumbsup:

Merry Christmas Everyone!

vikingsail Dec 10th 2012 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 10422850)

I will catch the last week before Xmas. Strangely, I am looking forward to small one street in a village shopping!

sallysimmons Dec 11th 2012 4:31 pm

We're having a party with friends this weekend (they go away for Christmas) and then for the actual Christmas period, my family is descending on us and staying a few nights. I'm really looking forward to having the stress of a full house and all the usual family-related niggles and giggles instead of the lonely quiet Christmases we've had for years.

Vikingsail, How great that you'll be here. Have a wonderful time!

Englishmum Dec 24th 2012 6:37 pm

We are at our apartment in Switzerland and my mum is here with us. Our dear Aussie friend was here for a few days and went skiing in the Alps with my spouse but flew home to New Jersey last night.

We did have snow last week but it's warmed up and then rained, so almost all the snow at our elevation (450 metres above sea level) has washed away. However we drove up to a nearby hill (Raten, 1050 metres) this afternoon where there is still snow as my mum wanted to see a bit of a white Christmas lol!

We collected two turkeys today from an expat store; a small one for Christmas Day and a large one for New Year's Eve (had to chop it in half to fit into the freezer...!). Our daughter and her toddler are flying to SE France on 28th to visit her French godmother, then will be driving over to our place in Switzerland for New Year....there will be a total of 8 adults and a toddler at our place.

We have a magnificent view of Lake Zug from our lounge (and the Alps if we lean out of the windows!) and this evening the local ferries are doing dinner cruises....all beautifully lit up. The church bells have all been ringing at all the villages along the lake. We are so lucky to be on a posting here :)

Now I just need to decide whether or not to have a glass of 'Chriskindle Glauwein' (mulled wine) or a Bailey's...and settle down to watch 'The Snowman' on Channel 4 :) Oh, and Mrs. Brown's Boys is on BBC 1 tonight too. Yay!

Merry Christmas to you all!