Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What would you do if you were in the UK today?

What would you do if you were in the UK today?

Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do if you were in the UK today?

I would spend time with my mum and dad - they probably would want me to sort out their computer. They always want me to sort out their computer! Then I would head off to the Park & Ride and get the bus into Cambridge. Just walk around the market, up and down Trinity St, have coffee in Michaelhouse and admire the mediaeval wall paintings, wander down to Kings chapel and just absorb the atmosphere then walk along the Backs for a while before going back to wrestle with the huge crowd in Emmanuel St wanting to catch the Park & Ride bus back. The aged rellies tell me that John Lewis has reopened in town so perhaps I should have a wander in there too.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:34 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I would spend time with my mum and dad - they probably would want me to sort out their computer. They always want me to sort out their computer! Then I would head off to the Park & Ride and get the bus into Cambridge. Just walk around the market, up and down Trinity St, have coffee in Michaelhouse and admire the mediaeval wall paintings, wander down to Kings chapel and just absorb the atmosphere then walk along the Backs for a while before going back to wrestle with the huge crowd in Emmanuel St wanting to catch the Park & Ride bus back. The aged rellies tell me that John Lewis has reopened in town so perhaps I should have a wander in there too.
Cambridge is just beautiful isn't it. We lived up the A14 a bit but still ventured into the city. My fave bakery (before it burnt down!) was Fitzbillys. Did you ever go there for their Chelsea buns?
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Cambridge is just beautiful isn't it. We lived up the A14 a bit but still ventured into the city. My fave bakery (before it burnt down!) was Fitzbillys. Did you ever go there for their Chelsea buns?
Um, Fitzbillies one of the reasons I am the shape I am - Chelsea buns in my youth were a significant contributor!!!!

Last edited by quoll; Nov 26th 2007 at 8:46 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:40 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Um, Fitzbilly's is one of the reasons I am the shape I am - Chelsea buns in my youth were a significant contributor!!!!
Next time you are home and you fancy a good curry. Try the Gulshan (spelling?) on Regent Rd, just the best curry in the world.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:32 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

It burnt down - wtf ??
When did that happen ??

(I am thinking about the same place, the one beside st cats, right ??)
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:03 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
It burnt down - wtf ??
When did that happen ??

(I am thinking about the same place, the one beside st cats, right ??)
just did some googling and apparantly it has reopened. It was gutted by fire some years ago and was closed for some time. Panic over
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:07 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lorids
Are you going back for a holiday or good? Enjoy whatever ...a fine cold Christmas!
for a holiday going for just over a month cant wait!!

but if anyone else from home tells me how cold it is i will scream!! :curse:
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:09 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by kez81
for a holiday going for just over a month cant wait!!

but if anyone else from home tells me how cold it is i will scream!! :curse:
When you moving out Kez? is it this weekend?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:39 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
When you moving out Kez? is it this weekend?
thursday the house is full of boxes stress:curse: i will give you a call over the weekend our phone number will be the same, will have to arrange something before we go back to sunny scotland.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 5:49 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by kez81
thursday the house is full of boxes stress:curse: i will give you a call over the weekend our phone number will be the same, will have to arrange something before we go back to sunny scotland.
You do know how cold it is going to be don't you
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:47 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

You do know how cold it is going to be don't you
I can't get my head round it actually. I haven't been back for a long time and I haven't been back to a UK winter for about 6 years I am trying to tell myself it's going to be ridiculously cold, especially as I am a complete wuss now and start wearing a fleece if the mercury drops below 25, but it's pretty hard to imagine after all this time.

I am a bit worried about my little one who has never experienced cold at all and none of us have the right sort of clothes but hey ho - they have 'hydroponic heating' (that makes me laugh so much - radiators are state of the art in Melbourne) and OMG - DOUBLE GLAZING!!!

And lack of jumpers will be an infalable excuse to hit Next!

X
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmahafryn
I can't get my head round it actually. I haven't been back for a long time and I haven't been back to a UK winter for about 6 years I am trying to tell myself it's going to be ridiculously cold, especially as I am a complete wuss now and start wearing a fleece if the mercury drops below 25, but it's pretty hard to imagine after all this time.

I am a bit worried about my little one who has never experienced cold at all and none of us have the right sort of clothes but hey ho - they have 'hydroponic heating' (that makes me laugh so much - radiators are state of the art in Melbourne) and OMG - DOUBLE GLAZING!!!

And lack of jumpers will be an infalable excuse to hit Next!

X

I find these days that I tend to do less living in Queensland due to the humidity than I would in the UK if it were cold. What I have found when I've been back to the UK in winter is that the shops are absolutely boiling with the heaters on full blast. As I have already rugged up to go out in the cold, I find I can only last five minutes in the shop then I have to get out of there.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 9:58 pm
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manc1
I find these days that I tend to do less living in Queensland due to the humidity than I would in the UK if it were cold. What I have found when I've been back to the UK in winter is that the shops are absolutely boiling with the heaters on full blast. As I have already rugged up to go out in the cold, I find I can only last five minutes in the shop then I have to get out of there.
Yes, that's Xmas shopping at it's finest. Absolutely baltic outside the shop, around 50 degrees and packed inside the shop.

Hat, scarf, gloves, coat on... hat, scarf, gloves, coat off...Hat, scarf, gloves, coat on... hat, scarf, gloves, coat off...
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:06 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

and OMG - DOUBLE GLAZING!!!
I love double glazing mainly for the noise reduction. The windows in my US apartment are wafer thin plastic-like things, and you can hear every noise like it's in your own front room. And I have LOUD neighbours, so it's 10 times worse. :curse:
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:10 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Yes, that's Xmas shopping at it's finest. Absolutely baltic outside the shop, around 50 degrees and packed inside the shop.

Hat, scarf, gloves, coat on... hat, scarf, gloves, coat off...Hat, scarf, gloves, coat on... hat, scarf, gloves, coat off...
can't relate to that being a good experience, probably the blokey side of me repels any thoughts of shopping
i'd wrap up warm and head out in to the hills for some great walking, probably ending up at a country pub with a friendly atmosphere for a pint beside the fire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.