Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What would you do if you were in the UK today?

What would you do if you were in the UK today?

Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do if you were in the UK today?

[QUOTE=emmahafryn;5580264]Come on folks, I need some ideas.
Hi Em,

I would drop my little ones to their Grandma's and Grandpa's house, go shopping on my own, see my friends in the evening at our local Mexican restaurant, just catching up, talking abt our kids and laugh till my eyes watered, finish the evening with a few drinks at the pub. Fantastic.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:59 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmahafryn
Come on folks, I need some ideas.

What would be the one thing you'd do/first place you'd go if you were home?

Personally I can't wait to go to Sainsburys but that's just because I am very sad

I don't want to miss anything so if you have any suggestions on how to spend a Dec day in Blighty - let's have it!

Em
go for a nice drive over the purbeck hills [dorset]and park up and take a nice long walk along the clifftops and stare acrosss the water to france thinking how lucky i am not to live there [france that is ],then find the nearest pub and have a few beers and a ploughmans lunch .
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:11 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Desperately arrange to get back to Brissie ASAP
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:45 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Our family would probably like to spend a day with all our friends and family enjoying a good old natter and having a laugh, then fly back to Canada cos we love it here
Old Nov 21st 2007, 4:16 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

When I go back next year, the first thing I'll do is get a decent meal of fish and chips from the chippy near mum's.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You probably don't watch TV as it's absolutely crap here.

As for washing at 5.30am deary me!

Sounds like an exciting place to live.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'd phone my old Dad and say I was coming round for a cup of tea

Then I'd take him for a nice drive from Bournemouth, over to Corfe Castle then up and over the Purbeck hills . We'd have a little stroll along the clifftops, looking out to France and maybe see the cross channel ferry.
Then I'd go to one of the pubs. Square and Compass or the like and buy my Dad a pint and something to eat.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:53 pm

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shortlets
No! no plans anytime soon....and I much prefer to get up early and have a leisurely morning before school/work and enjoy it being a bit cooler and to go to bed early. In the Uk we just used to flop out in front of the tv for the evening till bedtime, now we dont watch tv hardly at all...we are up and about 5.30am and out doing washing, walking the dogs etc...much better lifestyle as we are more active.
The only time ive ever seen 5.30am is when ive been up all night drinking( b4 kids) my 12 week old sleeps till 7.00am,

i wish that things were open longer here the fish and chip shop near us shuts at 8.30 on a saturday night and you be hard pushed to get a restaurant after 8.30/9.00pm its a bit early for me but horses for courses i suppose.

Last edited by kez81; Nov 21st 2007 at 11:43 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 10:45 pm
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Visit my 2 daughters and the grandchildren (who are the only ones I miss desperately)then get on the first flight out of Manchester to come home

Loz x
Old Nov 21st 2007, 11:24 pm
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
You probably don't watch TV as it's absolutely crap here.

As for washing at 5.30am deary me!
Yeah I know...telly isnt very good and we've got Foxtel...just full of repeats anyway!
I love getting up early!...no chance of a layin where we are as as soon as the sun comes up the birds...lorekeets, magpies and cookaburras start! that in turn sets of the whole neighbourhoods dogs and thats it I'm awake...but its a lovely time in the day.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:00 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

there is always one every year at some point!! you even get it from 7.30am to 10pm so thats eh.............14 1/2 hours

Originally Posted by Shortlets
12 hours sunshine......what in the UK?.....let me know when thats due and I might book a summer holiday! Yeah the hosepipe ban is still in force!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 9:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd scream very loudly and rush to the airport. On my way I would hope to god it was all a dream. I am no way ready to go visit any time soon. If and when I do go for a visit I would rather visit my mother than go shopping.

Good that people have different wants and needs
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:24 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Hi Em

After I dropped my kids off at my mum and dad's place, I'd find a little pub with an open fire and enjoy a decent pint of Guiness and a packet of crisps Heres to simple pleasures
Um, I bartended in Toronto for years. We sold Guiness. We also sold packets of crisps. They're called potato chips.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 12:30 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I'd phone my old Dad and say I was coming round for a cup of tea

Then I'd take him for a nice drive from Bournemouth, over to Corfe Castle then up and over the Purbeck hills . We'd have a little stroll along the clifftops, looking out to France and maybe see the cross channel ferry.
Then I'd go to one of the pubs. Square and Compass or the like and buy my Dad a pint and something to eat.
Hey that's almost exactly what we did one Sunday a few weeks ago - me, OH and 2 kids - drove out to the purbecks - we had a swift half at the Square and Compass and then on down the hill for lunch at the 'Scott Arms' - do you know it? - although it was the end of October it was a beautiful sunny day and it was still warm enough to sit outside - the beer garden at the back is stuck in the Purbeck hills and as you sit there you overlook the village of Corfe and the Castle - so peaceful and just magical.

After that we drove back to Studland and took the footpath out to Old Harry Rocks then a walk down to south beach - kids had a play and then onto the Bankes Arms (beautiful old stone built pub with beer garden overlooking the beach, roaring fire inside) for a coffee!

I'm sorry but anyone who slags the UK off simply has not been going to the right places!

Last edited by pommybird; Nov 22nd 2007 at 12:34 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Um, I bartended in Toronto for years. We sold Guiness. We also sold packets of crisps. They're called potato chips.
Funny I was also a bartender in Toronto for 3 years in an Irish bar, so I do realise you can buy Guiness and crisps here too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.