Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What would you change about Britain?

Wikiposts

What would you change about Britain?

Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would you change about Britain?

If you're British but you are hesitating (or have hesitated) to move back to Britain, then there are probably things about Britain you would like to see change.

If so, what are they?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:27 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you change about Britain?

the negativity and the media
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Celtic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of lightCeltic Princess is a glorious beacon of light

As I said in the other thread, house prices. Alternatively a massive drop in population. Where's the good old black death when it's needed? That would do the trick.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

Off the top of my head, mine would be:
- A much better set of politicians, headed by a really good (and popular) prime minister
- A strong British government that doesn't allow itself to be bullied by anyone (Europe, USA or anyone else)
- A sense of national pride encouraged and promoted all over the country and at all times
- The sale of fireworks to be restricted to those who are properly trained and licensed to operate them
- Get rid of the negative and sensationalist media and replace them with decent, honest, unbiased media that reports the truthful news in an intelligent way and also promotes a sense of community, national identity and pride
- A big reduction in the use of political correctness, and a return to common sense in workplaces, government departments and the media
- Scrap the TV license, have the government fund the BBC instead, or else introduce advertising on the BBC
- Merge all police forces in Britain into one, and modernise them including arming all police officers and introducing a modern uniform and vehicles
- Effectively address the problems of youth crime, drugs and introduce much better immigration control.
- Government to promote and facilitate several new masterplanned community developments to replace tired and grotty housing areas that are plagued by poverty and crime

Oh, and an improvement in the weather would be nice too!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto Backagen, that is a pretty comprehensive list. When you go back and stand for parliament, I will pop over and vote for you!!! Actually all of that IS achievable with the right leadership (well, we will forget the weather bit!) YES WE CAN! (shameless plagiarism there! Thanks Bob the Builder!)
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

• Less negativity and more pride in the country.
  • Impose a large fine for littering and actually uphold it, employ more people to "tidy" the place up.
  • To continue with racial tolerance and accommodation of other races but not to the detriment of the Brits i.e. no ridiculous banning of christmas carols, nativity plays etc etc.
  • Anyone who threatens the way of life or incites violence against the citizens, i.e. rabid Muslim clerics, need deporting but obviously freedom of speech must remain outside of those categories.
  • Ease up on the testing for kids at school, allow them to enjoy education a little bit more.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 9:37 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Ban East Enders, Taggart, and any other drama that makes negative whinging and shouting at everyone seem acceptable and makes "morrderr" seem commonplace.

Maybe I just eat too much American apple pie, but watching bad vibes on telly just does my head in.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Ban East Enders, Taggart, and any other drama that makes negative whinging and shouting at everyone seem acceptable and makes "morrderr" seem commonplace.

Maybe I just eat too much American apple pie, but watching bad vibes on telly just does my head in.
Hello stranger! Haven't seen you round these parts for a while. How are you? Any progress in getting back to US?
Old Nov 9th 2008, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

Hi Dunroving hope everything is going well and pointing in the right direction for you.

Re above lists:
I agree with most of what has been said. The things that bother me the most are:
  • How overgrown and untidy certain areas are. Needs a 'Clean up Great Britain' campaign. Not everywhere, but I am so disappointed when I see how messy and overgrown some areas are.
  • People should be proud of Britain instead of whining so much. I hate to hear people put the country down when I am home. It is quite embarrassing.
  • The foul mouthed youths. Quite shocking at times, and they seem to have no shame. Must admit I have a foul mouth, but I certainly don't scream along the High Street at the top of my lungs swearing! Add to that all the boozing that goes on in my home town, usually by the underage drinkers, and the weekends are absolute hell at times if you live near the High Street. The Police are never around to sort anything out either - what's up with that??????????
  • This one is a pet peeve of mine - dirty buildings and pavements, yuck, can't stand it!!! Have pride in where you live, PLEASE!!!

I'm sure there are many more, but can't think of them right now.

Last edited by Marmalade; Nov 9th 2008 at 11:15 am.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Hi Dunroving hope everything is going well and pointing in the right direction for you.

Re above lists:
I agree with most of what has been said. The things that bother me the most are:
  • How overgrown and untidy certain areas are. Needs a 'Clean up Great Britain' campaign. Not everywhere, but I am so disappointed when I see how messy and overgrown some areas are.
  • People should be proud of Britain instead of whining so much. I hate to hear people put the country down when I am home. It is quite embarrassing.
  • The foul mouthed youths. Quite shocking at times, and they seem to have no shame. Must admit I have a foul mouth, but I certainly don't scream along the High Street at the top of my lungs swearing! Add to that all the boozing that goes on in my home town, usually by the underage drinkers, and the weekends are absolute hell at times if you live near the High Street. The Police are never around to sort anything out either - what's up with that??????????
  • This one is a pet peeve of mine - dirty buildings and pavements, yuck, can't stand it!!! Have pride in where you live, PLEASE!!!
  • I'm sure there are many more, but can't think of them right now.
I agree with what Marmalade said too. We need to really find out what is causing this so-called "Yob culture" and get to the root of it and kill it once and for all. I don't claim to have the magic answer to this, but I'm sure in part it has to do with
- The fact illegal drugs are so easily available to them
- The fact that law enforcement and courts do very little to discourage drugs, violence and underage drinking
- The large number of youths that have been raised by ineffective parents who did not teach them right and wrong, respect, nor did they set boundaries or enforce discipline effectively.
- The lack of discipline in a lot of schools
- The lack of values taught in a lot of schools
- The fact that the media (TV especially) reinforces this sort of behaviour by constantly showing it, even glorifying it.
If we could address all these things I'm quite sure it would go a long way towards improving youth behaviour and culture.

I still believe the vast majority of young people are basically nice decent people but unfortunately many of them have a tendancy to copy what they see and do whatever their mates expect them to do. Without stronger, more positive alternative influences from schools and parents and the media, it's not surprising therefore that they turn out as they do.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I would make all the fences Colorbond.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:04 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I would make all the fences Colorbond.
You're barred!!

Old Nov 9th 2008, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
You're barred!!

Old Nov 9th 2008, 4:51 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by backagen
I agree with what Marmalade said too. We need to really find out what is causing this so-called "Yob culture" and get to the root of it and kill it once and for all.
It started in 1997 and is called a Labour Government. Britain was never like it is today when the Tories were in control.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Danny B
It started in 1997 and is called a Labour Government. Britain was never like it is today when the Tories were in control.
Oh what a lot of rubbish - they started it!!!!

So I guess skinheads and the National Front etc weren't prevalent when Thatcher was in eh? Nor the rave scene and associated huge amounts of drug taking, no? How about the widening gap between rich and poor and the focus on materialism/consumerism as an aspirational life purpose in itself?

Thatcher's policies started the rot by shifting the focus to 'I'm alright Jack and bugger everyone else'.

Last edited by rabsody; Nov 9th 2008 at 7:13 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.