Wikiposts

What would I do?

Old May 26th 2013, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default What would I do?

Please know I am not making major plans other than the one for me to come to UK next year for 4 months or so. BUT if I was ever to return to UK for good what would I do for work? I have 2 degrees one in Gerontology and Business, and the other in in Speech and Deaf Education. They are both undergrad degrees. I am Speech Language Pathology Assistant currently. To add to my repertoire going to take 4 classes to become Board Certified Assistant Behavioral Analyst. Since my brother's death there seems to be no reason for me to be in US at all. I am in contact now with my older sister whom I have not seen since I was 8 years old. I'm in touch with cousins as well. For a kid who was raised in an Orphanage for 14 years this can mean a lot especially in my twilight years. I am not saying my journey in US is over as I like the East coast and job opportunities are better for me in US. But yet should I decide to ever return - what I have transferable skills?
Old May 26th 2013, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would I do?

Originally Posted by fulwood
Please know I am not making major plans other than the one for me to come to UK next year for 4 months or so. BUT if I was ever to return to UK for good what would I do for work? I have 2 degrees one in Gerontology and Business, and the other in in Speech and Deaf Education. They are both undergrad degrees. I am Speech Language Pathology Assistant currently. To add to my repertoire going to take 4 classes to become Board Certified Assistant Behavioral Analyst. Since my brother's death there seems to be no reason for me to be in US at all. I am in contact now with my older sister whom I have not seen since I was 8 years old. I'm in touch with cousins as well. For a kid who was raised in an Orphanage for 14 years this can mean a lot especially in my twilight years. I am not saying my journey in US is over as I like the East coast and job opportunities are better for me in US. But yet should I decide to ever return - what I have transferable skills?
Fulwood, it is only in the last few years as I realize I am not getting any younger that I realize how important it is to have someone in my life who cares, whether it is a good friend, relative, significant other, or spouse. I feel as if I suddenly grew up in my later years. I think this is every reason to consider going back or at least to make life such that you have the choice to go back if you ever choose to do so.

I don't know about the speech pathology field, although it seems to me this would be a field in demand in hospitals or clinics throughout the country. However, I think the business education is what will tide you over until you get settled. My degree is in business administration, too, and I feel it is the basics for everything else. Since that time, I have added marketing, social media, brand imaging and public relations along with a host of graphic design and videography skills so I am now well equipped to go it alone. I am also a former teacher.

Is there anything you can add to your business skills to give you the opportunity to do freelance work if you have to?

Hopefully, someone can speak to your chosen career field - speech pathology.
Old May 26th 2013, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Tina, Thanks for response. I am also having a terrible time still with my brother's death. Can't bear thought of never seeing him again. My doctor has had to up my meds. I have a lot to think about and like you want to be in good financial situation. It's not easy when you are an ex-pat is it...
Old May 26th 2013, 5:55 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Tina, Thanks for response. I am also having a terrible time still with my brother's death. Can't bear thought of never seeing him again. My doctor has had to up my meds. I have a lot to think about and like you want to be in good financial situation. It's not easy when you are an ex-pat is it...
No, it's not easy and I think it is MUCH harder on those of us who have no family members or only few family members. It is a very lonely and difficult struggle to get back.

I understand your grief, Caroline. I grieve someone for 25 years and wouldn't speak of it at all because to do so meant it would end in a flood of tears no matter where I was at the time. Holding it in has caused me no end of problems in my life. In the end, I had to go to therapy because I realized I was trapped. It ruined many parts of my life but those parts are salvageable

My advice is to set aside one hour a day to grieve and to feel the pain - and then try to let it go until the same time the next day. Let it come out gradually but don't miss a day. To make yourself feel the pain in that one hour, look at his photos, sit with your memories and talk to him. The tears will come. The tears are important because they will heal you. Don't hold them in. Grief doesn't go away. It has to come out so you can move on.

The meds from the doctor will help you deal with all this but you still have to "feel" it.

For what it's worth, I have become very spiritual over the years and I realize that mental health is only a "perception" away. Love never dies; it merely changes form. Everything and every place that was touched by your brother's love is still here and will remain. His love is still here. He has merely changed form.

Last edited by windsong; May 26th 2013 at 5:58 am.
Old May 26th 2013, 7:15 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: What would I do?

Please know I am not making major plans other than the one for me to come to UK next year for 4 months or so. BUT if I was ever to return to UK for good what would I do for work? I have 2 degrees one in Gerontology and Business, and the other in in Speech and Deaf Education. They are both undergrad degrees. I am Speech Language Pathology Assistant currently. To add to my repertoire going to take 4 classes to become Board Certified Assistant Behavioral Analyst.

But yet should I decide to ever return - what I have transferable skills?
To work in the health care field in the UK, you would need to register with the 'Health & Care Professions Council'. Here is the procedure if you decide to apply:

http://www.hpc-uk.org/aboutus/

http://www.hpc-uk.org/apply/international/

The professional body for speech and language therapists is "The Royal College of Speech & Language Therapists":

http://www.rcslt.org/speech_and_lang...careers/career

You don't have to work for the NHS, you can work privately too:

http://www.rcslt.org/speech_and_lang...ndependentslts

For example, my nephew has Asperger's Syndrome. My sister once told me that she knows of parents who hire private therapists (Occupational Therapy or/and Speech Therapy) who go to their homes where the parents like to 'top up' the care provided by the NHS. There may be opportunities in schools (State/public or private schools) too or in rehab facilities operated primarily by charities.

Also see:

NHS Careers in Speech and Language Therapy:

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/explore...age-therapist/

NHS Careers & Jobs in general:

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/

I also googled "Careers in Private Sector + Speech and Language Therapy" and many, many results came up; mostly through agencies for jobs.

I'm afraid I know nothing about gerontology, other than it is related to the aged, but maybe these links may be useful:

http://www.bgs.org.uk/

http://www.drfosterhealth.co.uk/medi.../health-links/ (see Senior Health)

Hope this helps!
Old May 26th 2013, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

I have an idea. What about contacting some professors of your field at some universities in the UK? They would be able to tell you how to go about getting jobs in your field, I think.
Old May 26th 2013, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Englishmum for plethora of info and Tina yours is a good idea as well. I think degree I have though is lower level by UK standards and might need graduate degree as you do in US. I will enquire though.. Thank you..Also I love Edinburgh. If I was to ever move back Scotland is a choice though my friends and family are in England primarily.
Old May 26th 2013, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Englishmum for plethora of info and Tina yours is a good idea as well. I think degree I have though is lower level by UK standards and might need graduate degree as you do in US. I will enquire though.. Thank you..Also I love Edinburgh. If I was to ever move back Scotland is a choice though my friends and family are in England primarily.
That sounds terrific!! England or Scotland, I'd love to meet you!!
Old May 26th 2013, 1:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Surely with Gerontology and Business you'd be a shoe in at all these retirement communities popping up all over UK.
Speech and deaf education there are schools so maybe watch their websites for vacancies. Google schools for deaf in UK I found this.
http://www.batod.org.uk/index.php?id=/batod