Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What would be a good take-home salary in the UK?

What would be a good take-home salary in the UK?

Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Rock2089 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would be a good take-home salary in the UK?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you'll only be on a temporary work visa, then would you get a mortgage anyway? No idea, but something to check, you may have to rent instead which will probably mean paying more monthly (but also have the advantage of not having to spend £20,000 on a deposit).

Do you need to commute to London then?
I think i can buy,i will buy after 2 years minimum till that time rent.i will be not commute london.
i will be looking job in NHS and they are in every place of uk , i am still figuring out which place to look for

Yesterday i check Dudley area but got negative feedback from one member.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rock2089
can u please give some info about liverpool as u said dody area.(today only i apply )
Not all of Liverpool is dodgy, I just meant that the areas you're finding houses for £100,000 will probably be. If a house is that cheap, there's usually a reason for it!

I'd wait and see where you actually get offered jobs, then you can ask on the forum about those specific areas, rather than trying to find a suitable area now which is a bit like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

I think i can buy,i will buy after 2 years minimum till that time rent.i will be not commute london.
i will be looking job in NHS and they are in every place of uk , i am still figuring out which place to look for

Yesterday i check Dudley area but got negative feedback from one member.
Dudley's ok, wouldn't be my first choice though. I'm a Birmingham girl, there are lots of nicer places around there that I would choose.......but of course the nicer areas will cost more.

Have you been looking at Google streetview etc for these houses you've been looking at online? And Ofsted reports for the nearest schools? And crime reports? All of those things will at least give you an idea of whether or not the area is ok or not.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 6th 2018 at 9:27 am.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Not all of Liverpool is dodgy, I just meant that the areas you're finding houses for £100,000 will probably be. If a house is that cheap, there's usually a reason for it!

I'd wait and see where you actually get offered jobs, then you can ask on the forum about those specific areas, rather than trying to find a suitable area now which is a bit like trying to find a needle in a haystack.
recently my friend got interview and he got job offer of band 6 around 26,000 per annum.
so i am expecting around ,for me and my wife but roughly calculated 48000-52000
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

recently my friend got interview and he got job offer of band 6 around 26,000 per annum.
so i am expecting around ,for me and my wife but roughly calculated 48000-52000
That's good, seems a better salary than the £22k you originally mentioned. Although if you'll both be working full-time then you'll need to do some careful budgeting as childcare will take a big chunk of that.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Dudley's ok, wouldn't be my first choice though. I'm a Birmingham girl, there are lots of nicer places around there that I would choose.......but of course the nicer areas will cost more.

Have you been looking at Google streetview etc for these houses you've been looking at online? And Ofsted reports for the nearest schools? And crime reports? All of those things will at least give you an idea of whether or not the area is ok or not.
yes below i am pasting,still looking for some info like local buses,but not getting,and asian grocery store
same way i prepare for other area to

1--Russells Hall Hospital-

General hospital

2--Russells Hall Hospital :
Cardiology

3--Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust
General hospital

4--Corbett Hospital
https://www.nhs.uk/Services/hospital...w.aspx?id=1860

Crime rate score— is 65

https://www.police.uk/west-midlands/...are-your-area/

Nearest airport

Birmingham is 25.2 miles and takes 43 min shows in map

Grammar schools

Dudley boys and girls grammar school.

Property we can find 3bed house 130,000 to 140,000

Which will come 850-900 including all from zopla
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Grammar schools

Dudley boys and girls grammar school.
As above, make sure the 'normal' schools are good, your children will really struggle to get in to a grammar school IMO so don't count on that. Did you watch that program I suggested?

To give you an idea - the grammar school my daughter went for had over 1100 girls sit the exam for only 96 places. Most of those kids will already have been tutored for a year or two before the exam and of course, most are native English speakers. But even so, less than 8% scored enough to get a place.

I really think you need to forget focussing on grammar schools and just find a good 'normal' school, your children can still try for the grammar if they want, but I wouldn't focus on that when looking for an area to live.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 6th 2018 at 9:56 am.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Property we can find 3bed house 130,000 to 140,000

Which will come 850-900 including all from zopla
I don't agree with Zoopla's figures.

Assuming a mortgage of £120,000, that would be repayments around £600 a month. Council tax, electricity, gas, water, etc, will all cost more than £250 a month, I think that figure is a bit conservative personally.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

As above, make sure the 'normal' schools are good, your children will really struggle to get in to a grammar school IMO so don't count on that. Did you watch that program I suggested?

To give you an idea - the grammar school my daughter went for had over 1100 girls sit the exam for only 96 places. Most of those kids will already have been tutored for a year or two before the exam and of course, most are native English speakers. But even so, less than 8% scored enough to get a place.

I really think you need to forget focussing on grammar schools and just find a good 'normal' school, your children can still try for the grammar if they want, but I wouldn't focus on that when looking for an area to live.

i just keep in a list and now after knowing little bit about grammar schools,it not mandatory for me or deciding factor
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

I don't agree with Zoopla's figures.

Assuming a mortgage of £120,000, that would be repayments around £600 a month. Council tax, electricity, gas, water, etc, will all cost more than £250 a month, I think that figure is a bit conservative personally.
thanks
Old Jul 6th 2018, 10:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

thanks
No probs. I'd allow £1000 a month for essential household bills (I'm not including things like broadband in that), on a house of that value personally.
Old Jul 6th 2018, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

That's good, seems a better salary than the £22k you originally mentioned. Although if you'll both be working full-time then you'll need to do some careful budgeting as childcare will take a big chunk of that.

yes i ask few friends working there,they told me all depends on Supervisor how they make duty roster.