Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What would be a good take-home salary in the UK?

What would be a good take-home salary in the UK?

Old Jun 27th 2018, 10:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would be a good take-home salary in the UK?

Originally Posted by phat-dave
so my observation would be for a family, you probably need two incomes... 70K (4K/month net) & 30K (2K/net) to leave comfortably, definitely not living the dream but comfortable.
I don't think that much is needed, remember that I have said we live in a large house so our electricity/council tax etc will be quite a bit higher than those living in a 2 bed terrace. Some things will obviously remain the same i.e. groceries costs (I shop as cheaply as possible, at Aldi/Lidl and cook everything from scratch), but others are variable, it was just to give an idea really.

I still think £50k is a good salary for a family of 4, I wouldn't want to do less with 2 kids, but I don't think £70k is needed unless you like lots of foreign travel etc.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

out of interest CO and please don't answer if I'm being intrusive, assuming you now have a modest mortgage but how beneficial was the equity you brought back with you from Canada towards reducing your overall expenses? UK has obviously had some property growth but those coming back from AU/NZ & CA would definitely have pocketed some money.

i have interest in this thread as an Aussie with British passport, currently have an offer from UK company but I'm scratching my head wondering how to make the numbers work for similar lifestyle in Oz (proximity to major city, 2x cars, holidays etc).
Old Jun 27th 2018, 11:55 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

out of interest CO and please don't answer if I'm being intrusive, assuming you now have a modest mortgage but how beneficial was the equity you brought back with you from Canada towards reducing your overall expenses? UK has obviously had some property growth but those coming back from AU/NZ & CA would definitely have pocketed some money.

i have interest in this thread as an Aussie with British passport, currently have an offer from UK company but I'm scratching my head wondering how to make the numbers work for similar lifestyle in Oz (proximity to major city, 2x cars, holidays etc).
Butting in here, but as an Aussie with a Brit husband who's moved to the UK, the following may be of interest.

We sold our house in a mid-level suburb in Perth in 2013 for $650,000. The house was 23 years old and although it'd had a kitchen reno during that time it was pretty dated. Also, we both detest gardening so it was no show home! But we were lucky and sold during a boom in property prices.
https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...rley-120737953

In the same year, we bought our UK home in New Brighton, Wirral. It's 15 minutes by train to Liverpool, across the river Mersey. We purchased the house for £175,000 so were circa $300,000 in front. We spent a couple of years renovating and improving the property, spending around £25,000 and a lot of time and sweat, and sold it a couple of months ago for £240,000.
https://www.onthemarket.com/details/4531670/

Of course, this isn't a template - any gain/loss you make on selling a property in Oz and buying in the UK is wholly dependent on the location/value of each. If you sell a tin shack in Whoop Whoop and buy a Georgian townhouse in Chelsea, you're eyes are going to be watering and your wallet bleeding. If anything, my post is just an example of the variables we need to consider when comparing Australia and UK property prices.

I think our cost of living in each country comes out about even. I still splutter at the size of the gas bill for heating a 3 storey house in a UK winter. But the electricity bills from using the air con 6 months of the year in Perth were whoppers too

Hope that's all of some use or food for thought.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I don't think that much is needed, remember that I have said we live in a large house so our electricity/council tax etc will be quite a bit higher than those living in a 2 bed terrace. Some things will obviously remain the same i.e. groceries costs (I shop as cheaply as possible, at Aldi/Lidl and cook everything from scratch), but others are variable, it was just to give an idea really.

I still think £50k is a good salary for a family of 4, I wouldn't want to do less with 2 kids, but I don't think £70k is needed unless you like lots of foreign travel etc.
sorry, disagree. We moved to the south east when we first moved back in 2016. I was earning £48k plus a fully expensed company car. We have no children and money was a long way from plentiful. Rent was £1495 a month for a 2 bed apartment.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Income and expenditure might be different further from "The Great Wen of London" I am sure there are few families in Inverness or Wigtown on £70,000 a year ! The same in Llangollen or Wigan !
Old Jun 28th 2018, 8:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't buy in Canada, so no equity from there at all, but plenty of equity from doing various properties up in the UK and climbing the ladder here. We now have seven figures of equity in our current home after buying it as a derelict wreck 7 years ago, I'm a big believer in renovations and the value it can give!

Originally Posted by verystormy
sorry, disagree. We moved to the south east when we first moved back in 2016. I was earning £48k plus a fully expensed company car. We have no children and money was a long way from plentiful. Rent was £1495 a month for a 2 bed apartment.

Fair enough, we'll all have different experiences and different ideas of what a decent salary is, and of course it will also depend on area. £1495 is very expensive for a 2 bed flat so you must have been living in a pricey area, the OP doesn't need to do that. I don't think £50k would be enough for a family of 4 wanting to live in London or somewhere very expensive, but the OP has stated he can live anywhere, so it would be fine elsewhere.

We managed on £45k as a family of four for quite a few years before my husband changed industries and got a salary increase (and before I went back to work after having the children), in a 4 bed house, but our mortgage was less than you were paying for the flat, so a big difference.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 28th 2018 at 8:47 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Rock2089 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have seen some areas in uk

liverpool u can find house 3 bed 100,000
leeds 3bed 120,000
leicster 150,000
kent -rochester 200,000 (3bed)
ramsgate -175,000 3bed
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

OK, so our monthly expenses are as follows:

Electricity - £345 (all electric house though, no mains gas here)
Water - approx £15
No drainage/sewage cost as we're not on mains drainage (hence the low water charge, we have a private supply)
Phone/internet - £25
Food/groceries/cleaning stuff - £400-500
Car insurance - pay annually, but would work out at £80 per month, that's only for one car though as the other is a company car so we don't pay the insurance. It's a high value car so could be a lot less, although I don't know how cheap it could be for you with no UK driving record
Petrol - we drive one electric car and one hybrid now so most months we don't need to buy it, but when we had two petrol/diesel cars it was £600 per month (although one was a gas guzzling 4x4, but I don't do big distances)
Car tax - again, not applicable to us anymore, but it used to be around £60 per month irrc.
Kids clubs - after school stuff is all free here, but they do other extra-curricular actives, around £50 per month.
School food for kids - £80ish per month
Other misc expenses (clothes, kids friends birthday pressies, haircuts, bits for the house etc) maybe £150-200 per month

So roughly £2000 a month, plus our mortgage (the housing cost will obviously vary depending on what you decide to spend). I suspect you wouldn't spend anywhere near as much on electricity (we have a big old house to heat, plus I run a business from home which uses a fair bit, and of course electric cars to charge sometimes), and you could easily cut the car costs down by having something much more efficient.

You may need to add other things on i.e. car repayments if you don't have enough to buy a car outright when you arrive, eating out if you like to do that (we rarely do) etc, but that gives you an overview of what I spend each month on maintaining my family! I've not included things that won't be relevant for all i.e. our pet food, holidays, etc.

HTH.

superb this is what i am looking for
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Rock2089
superb this is what i am looking for
Just add in the extras I'd forgotten i.e. council tax, as mentioned above - probably £2500 in total as a rough guide.

HTH.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Just add in the extras I'd forgotten i.e. council tax, as mentioned above - probably £2500 in total as a rough guide.

HTH.
yes i saw that
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 9:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

yes i saw that
Fab. Just checking you'd seen it. I've just checked my bank statement and another few things I've forgotten which are standard expenses -

Home insurance - £50 a month
Mobile phones - approx £100 a month for 4 of them
Life insurance - £60 a month

Other things to think about that we don't pay, but you may are travel/commuting costs (train tickets etc), pension, childcare (can be VERY expensive), etc.

Hope that helps you work out a rough budget.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 10:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

i have seen some areas in uk

liverpool u can find house 3 bed 100,000
leeds 3bed 120,000
leicster 150,000
kent -rochester 200,000 (3bed)
ramsgate -175,000 3bed
I'd suggest that some of those will be absolutely awful areas i.e. you maybe able to find a house in Liverpool for £100k, but would you want to bring a family up there?!? It'll probably be in a really dodgy area for that price.

So working backwards, assuming a house for £150k which is middle of the road for what you've found, that would be mortgage repayments of approx £600 (assuming a deposit of £20k).

So £600, plus maybe £1800 a month living costs for a family of four if you lived frugally and it was a smallish house, you'd need to be earning £2400 after tax and deductions = approx £40,000 a year. That would be living far from lavishly though, so IMO a salary of £50k would give a nicer life. Anywhere in the south east/nearer London with pricier housing and you'd need more.

HTH.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

I'd suggest that some of those will be absolutely awful areas i.e. you maybe able to find a house in Liverpool for £100k, but would you want to bring a family up there?!? It'll probably be in a really dodgy area for that price.

So working backwards, assuming a house for £150k which is middle of the road for what you've found, that would be mortgage repayments of approx £600 (assuming a deposit of £20k).

So £600, plus maybe £1800 a month living costs for a family of four if you lived frugally and it was a smallish house, you'd need to be earning £2400 after tax and deductions = approx £40,000 a year. That would be living far from lavishly though, so IMO a salary of £50k would give a nicer life. Anywhere in the south east/nearer London with pricier housing and you'd need more.

HTH.

i stop looking at north nowadays
-prices which i have mention to get rough estimate of bank loans and zoopla website give fair idea about taxes also.

i am thinking of leicester which is 75 min from london by train,
and i need 2/3 areas more like this.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 11:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

i stop looking at north nowadays
-prices which i have mention to get rough estimate of bank loans and zoopla website give fair idea about taxes also.

i am thinking of leicester which is 75 min from london by train,
and i need 2/3 areas more like this.
If you'll only be on a temporary work visa, then would you get a mortgage anyway? No idea, but something to check, you may have to rent instead which will probably mean paying more monthly (but also have the advantage of not having to spend £20,000 on a deposit).

Do you need to commute to London then?
Old Jul 6th 2018, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

HTH.

thanks again for suggestions

and yes we will be getting around 48,000 to 50,000

i start applying jobs but which area to choose for question mark.

can u please give some info about liverpool as u said dody area.(today only i apply )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.