Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

what will you take home from Canada?

what will you take home from Canada?

Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:42 am
been there, done that

phr1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what will you take home from Canada?

I just thought that it might be interesting to hear what people who lived in Canada for a while will take back with them to the UK?
Please don't answer "maple syrup"..
...but this is the kind of thing I am talking about.. its like we'll take our Branston Pickles anywhere... but I am looking for original ideas..

Someone said "Advil" on this Forum before, because it is fake in Europe?????
I think that might be a bit of an exaggeration but through in anything you feel will change your life in the UK or it will not be the same without.

Also, trying to keep it small.. but if you must "Vintage Americana" will pass for sure.

Here are some ideas I have so far:

Maple syrop (packed!!)
Dollarama stickers (not that I am going to act on that)
Advil - fake in the UK (hmmm..)

??????????????????????????????????...

Add as you wish..
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what will you take home from Canada?

I wouldn't bother with the Advil, you can buy it here in the UK its just called Nurofen. Same ingredients and if you buy it at the chemist it won't be fake.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
I wouldn't bother with the Advil, you can buy it here in the UK its just called Nurofen. Same ingredients and if you buy it at the chemist it won't be fake.
Yes, true but stores are only allowed to sell you something like 16 pills at a time here and that can be a royal pain (no pun intended) in cold and flu season or if more than one of you is taking them at the same time. I didn't know that Nurofen is the same thing though, thanks for that.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Yes, true but stores are only allowed to sell you something like 16 pills at a time here and that can be a royal pain (no pun intended) in cold and flu season or if more than one of you is taking them at the same time. I didn't know that Nurofen is the same thing though, thanks for that.
A shop can only sell you 16 pills at a time but a chemist can sell you 32.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Advil the same as ibuprofen? I bought a bottle of 500 ibuprofen a few months ago and will be taking it with me. Hopefully, it won't be confiscated! I don't think it is nearly as popular a drug over there.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by windsong
Isn't Advil the same as ibuprofen? I bought a bottle of 500 ibuprofen a few months ago and will be taking it with me. Hopefully, it won't be confiscated! I don't think it is nearly as popular a drug over there.
Yes its the same and no it won't be confiscated if its in your checked bag.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it is nearly as popular a drug over there.
You can buy ibuprofen anywhere, even at the supermarket for about 20p a pack. It's very popular so don't worry about that!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't Advil the same as ibuprofen? ..... I don't think it is nearly as popular a drug over there.
It's only been sold without a prescription in the UK since March of 1982, and sales were rather slow to take off, so if you've been pit of the UK for a while you might be unaware as to how popular it has become.
The generic drug is called ibuprofen, which is what appears front and center of the bottle in the US for grocery and pharmacy own-brand versions of it. As well as Advil, it's also sold as Motrin, and under other brand names too, such as Midol, NeoProfen, Ibu, Caldolor, and as Brufen in France and India, and Ibugesic in India, where it is apparently sold under many other brands too.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 7th 2014 at 7:35 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

zip lock bags, the ones with the thick seals and ones with the zips! Heard they only have the very thin ones
Queen sheets if you have a queen bed because even though they say the King fit they don't!
Must still look into my swiffer wet ones if I can get refills
Costco size bottles of vitamins and head ache tablets
generic brita filters, OH got some from HD 8 for $5
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

I'm going in the autumn (Lord willing) and we'll be packing:

coconut oil (gotta be sure in case it takes a bit to find it there)
maple syrop (of course!)
I'll buy some ziplock freezer bags if it's true the ones in the UK are thinner (not for freezing but for my tortilla press)
and feelbritish reminded me that I have to make sure I figure out how to disassemble my spray mop and bring that (it's refillable)...

other than that? No idea. Looking here for suggestions!
Blessings!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I heard about the ziplock bag issue before but I have to say since Ive been back I have easily been able to find thick ones with the zipper closure and they weren't that expensive either.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
zip lock bags, the ones with the thick seals and ones with the zips! Heard they only have the very thin ones
Queen sheets if you have a queen bed because even though they say the King fit they don't!
Must still look into my swiffer wet ones if I can get refills
Costco size bottles of vitamins and head ache tablets
generic brita filters, OH got some from HD 8 for $5
Don't they have Swiffer Wetjets in the UK?
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Electronics ! Looking for a new mobile or computer ? Buy from Canada before you go. A lot less expensive than in the UK and especially mainland Europe.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I heard about the ziplock bag issue before but I have to say since Ive been back I have easily been able to find thick ones with the zipper closure and they weren't that expensive either.
Oh good, one less thing to pack
Old Jul 8th 2014, 12:48 pm
been there, done that

phr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

just the heads up..
my shipping company said NO FOOD to the UK as they are very strict about that.
Your shipment can be held for weeks at the port if custom decide to inspect it.
If you must take food, better take it on you and that might be less risky.
Worst case you loose it at the airport but you don't hold your stuff at the port for ages..

Yesterday, while packing, our crew suggested we empty all the spices etc..
I end up not taking any of the food I was planning on taking like special cooking oils, herbs, even tea bags!!

Can someone confirm food in the shippment IS and issue?

So from all the other posts above it looks like we have everything we need in the UK.
Dollar more or less, we probably will not miss much.

...keep it coming...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.