Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

what will you take home from Canada?

what will you take home from Canada?

Old Jul 8th 2014, 1:08 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: what will you take home from Canada?

Originally Posted by windsong
Don't they have Swiffer Wetjets in the UK?
They seem to be called "Flash Powermops":

{Expat Made Easy} Flash Powermop = Swiffer WetJet | New Yorker in London

Many of my friends in the UK now prefer to use a 'steam' mop - cheaper to use as you just need water and more environmentally friendly:

Steam Mop Reviews: Amazon.co.uk
Old Jul 9th 2014, 4:19 am
Heading home

KH2010 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what will you take home from Canada?

Originally Posted by phr1
just the heads up..
my shipping company said NO FOOD to the UK as they are very strict about that.
Your shipment can be held for weeks at the port if custom decide to inspect it.
If you must take food, better take it on you and that might be less risky.
Worst case you loose it at the airport but you don't hold your stuff at the port for ages..

Yesterday, while packing, our crew suggested we empty all the spices etc..
I end up not taking any of the food I was planning on taking like special cooking oils, herbs, even tea bags!!

Can someone confirm food in the shippment IS and issue?

So from all the other posts above it looks like we have everything we need in the UK.
Dollar more or less, we probably will not miss much.

...keep it coming...
When we moved from the UK to the US we were told not to pack food, and we have been told the same while preparing to move back. As you were told, it can be held up in customs and you can incur hefty fees if they decide to physically search your container. Things like meats are the biggest issues, but it's not really advisable to pack any of it in your shipment. We will be emptying our spice jars... I'm a rule follower and won't risk the potential fees and hold up in customs, but I'm sure there are others who chance it!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phr1
just the heads up..
my shipping company said NO FOOD to the UK as they are very strict about that.
Your shipment can be held for weeks at the port if custom decide to inspect it.
If you must take food, better take it on you and that might be less risky.
Worst case you loose it at the airport but you don't hold your stuff at the port for ages..

Yesterday, while packing, our crew suggested we empty all the spices etc..
I end up not taking any of the food I was planning on taking like special cooking oils, herbs, even tea bags!!

Can someone confirm food in the shippment IS and issue?

So from all the other posts above it looks like we have everything we need in the UK.
Dollar more or less, we probably will not miss much.

...keep it coming...
I am taking a box of individually wrapped herbal teabags on the plane to use on the plane. I hope they allow that.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

Re taking food products back to the UK, whether it's allowed or not, I'd be concerned about attracting rodents into my stuff. They might decide to nest in my sofa if I've provided dinner a box or two along...

But these might be helpful to some:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ng_food_in.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...nal-plants.pdf

https://www.gov.uk/personal-food-pla...roduct-imports

My understanding of these, particularly the second one, is that spices would be allowed, as long as they were "in travellers' personal baggage." The third one has a section listing exempted foods near the end.

These government docs always make for interesting reading!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Electronics ! Looking for a new mobile or computer ? Buy from Canada before you go. A lot less expensive than in the UK and especially mainland Europe.
Yes, and no. Check the voltage. Most laptops are ok, many companies will transfer the service tag so that your warranty travels with you (dell and Apple for sure, not investigated the others). Mobiles will need to be unlocked before you leave, generally cheapest to get your service provider to do it, not the independent places in the mall.

Also depends how much the keyboard will piss you off. You'll have the choice of keeping your computer set to North American standard, which means no pound sign, or it'll change over to UK, which means you'll have the pound, but several of your keys will be different to what's written on them.

They are cheaper to purchase, yes, but there are other considerations too so not straight forward.

For other electronics, it's advisable to check the voltage and whether they will even work without a transformer, and then weighing up whether you want to go down that route. If I was buying new things for the move, most electronics wouldn't be on it.

Maple syrup was cheaper in Tesco that RCSS last time I went.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Dubvibe is an unknown quantity at this point

There isn't anything from Canada I am aware of that you can't find in the UK. Little things maybe but there is always an alternative option. The most important thing to bring with you is a positive attitude and the "go for it" work ethic that is common in North America but not so common in Blighty. And if you haven't done it yet make sure you have your Canadian citizenship or at least your permanent resident card before you leave (just in case you want to go back)... 8-)
Old Jul 9th 2014, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were returning - Crispy Crunch! (Bars that taste like the ones in red wrappers that used to be in Quality Street but aren't any more).
Old Jul 10th 2014, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Cheetos (not the puffy kind, the other ones) or Twisties, goldfish crackers
Old Jul 11th 2014, 3:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Yes, and no. Check the voltage. Most laptops are ok, many companies will transfer the service tag so that your warranty travels with you (dell and Apple for sure, not investigated the others). Mobiles will need to be unlocked before you leave, generally cheapest to get your service provider to do it, not the independent places in the mall.

Also depends how much the keyboard will piss you off. You'll have the choice of keeping your computer set to North American standard, which means no pound sign, or it'll change over to UK, which means you'll have the pound, but several of your keys will be different to what's written on them.

They are cheaper to purchase, yes, but there are other considerations too so not straight forward.

For other electronics, it's advisable to check the voltage and whether they will even work without a transformer, and then weighing up whether you want to go down that route. If I was buying new things for the move, most electronics wouldn't be on it.

Maple syrup was cheaper in Tesco that RCSS last time I went.

Yes you're right but any laptop/mobile made from about 2007 onwards is 240V compatible and if it isn't, quite frankly its time for a new laptop.
The keyboard's settings can be changed. My (Canadian) laptop is set to English (uk) keyboard as well as Maltese (MLT) keyboard and I can switch between both. As for the mobiles yes it will need to be unlocked before you leave but I was referring to buying new electronics before you leave anyways

I know windsong bought an iPhone 4S from apple direct unlocked in prep for move to the UK.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I said that keyboard settings can be changed. They keys, however can not. So it depends whether this would bother someone.
Old Jul 11th 2014, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I said that keyboard settings can be changed. They keys, however can not. So it depends whether this would bother someone.
I agree
Old Jul 11th 2014, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

When I returned home I brought:
  • pre-bottled caesars
  • some coffee crisp bars (although UK chocolate is better, I still loved these!)
  • Saracha sauce
  • Some TimBits from the airport
  • Cheezies!!

Nothing very practical, just all junk that I knew I would miss. As for transporting food home in your suitcase, same rules as crossing the US border apply...as long as it's not fresh and it's prewrapped your fine. Anything from the departures lounge is fair game (I brought sushi on the plane last time!). You can take some fresh stuff (like cheese), but there is a limit and you'll need to declare it. All info will be on the UK Home Office website.

I'm going back to Canada for a few weeks next month so I'll need to think of some more goodies to bring back
Old Jul 11th 2014, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mazmataz
  • pre-bottled caesars
  • some coffee crisp bars (although UK chocolate is better, I still loved these!)
  • Saracha sauce
  • Cheezies!!

Nothing very practical, just all junk that I knew I would miss. As for transporting food home in your suitcase, same rules as crossing the US border apply...as long as it's not fresh and it's prewrapped your fine. Anything from the departures lounge is fair game (I brought sushi on the plane last time!). You can take some fresh stuff (like cheese), but there is a limit and you'll need to declare it. All info will be on the UK Home Office website.

I'm going back to Canada for a few weeks next month so I'll need to think of some more goodies to bring back
Why on earth would you want to take 'cheese' (inverted commas because it isn't actual cheese, obviously) back to the UK from Canada?
Old Jul 11th 2014, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazmataz
  • pre-bottled caesars
  • Saracha sauce
  • Cheezies!!

Who in the right mind would bring Canadian cheese to UK BTW where do you live, your profile says Vancouver but you say you are going back for few weeks to Canada?
Old Jul 11th 2014, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

mazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond reputemazmataz has a reputation beyond repute

Why on earth would you want to take 'cheese' (inverted commas because it isn't actual cheese, obviously) back to the UK from Canada?
Haha I wouldn't dare! I have however brought actual cheese from the UK into Canada so I have some experience when it comes to importing/exporting fresh goods. I don't think that Canadian cheese would actually qualify as real dairy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.