Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What will you miss from Oz?

What will you miss from Oz?

Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Familytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to allFamilytoaus is a name known to all
Default Re: What will you miss from Oz?

Originally Posted by liziwe
Ok my lovelies, I'm leaving this site and getting on with my life. May you all find peace...
Forgive me if I'm wrong but reading between the lines this has all the classic signs of a "closet want to go homer" to me...........
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Familytoaus
Forgive me if I'm wrong but reading between the lines this has all the classic signs of a "closet want to go homer" to me...........

Me thinks so too There's a lot of 'em about you know. The ones who won't post on this section because they bleated on and on (in the Barbie) about how much they hated the UK and how Aus was going to be a great.

They kinda just sneak off back home silently
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
Interesting - I have been here 29 years and it definitely hasnt passed and it is getting worse. Found this board by chance (following a completely non expat link) a few months ago and it has been a lifesaver because now I know that I am not going nuts. I know that when I go home and get off that plane, I am a whole person again whereas no matter what I do here I am not! I can live with it because DH and I have lots of compromises (he isnt getting what he wants either - no way on this earth am I going to live out in the fly ridden bush without a flush loo!!!!!) but I am not enjoying it and I count off the days to go before my next trip home.

I actually think it is very healthy to be able to talk to people who are going through the same things that you are because is normalizes your experiences. I am sure that none of us IRL go out and bag Australia, we hold it all in, smile and smile and act like one of the natives. This forum gives us a chance to say what it is that we dont like - and that is OK. I havent said to anyone IRL that the bloody cockatoos, magpies and currawongs drive me nuts or that I cannot abide the smell of wattle (DH has taken the big one out of our garden now thank heavens!) because the Aussies dont like anyone being critical of their little paradise.

I didnt feel homesick at 2 months or even 2 years and I find it interesting that people who have been here for a short time are waxing lyrical about this being perfection - well, in my experience familiarity breeds contempt and it will be interesting to see how many begin to feel differently once the lure of the sunshine and the beach wears off.
Ditto everything...been here 10 years and it just gets worse....the feeling of homesickness.....and the 10 years because I use to listen to liziwe!!!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold

This is especially to QUOLL, cos u know what I have been thru, and thanks for your support !!!!!!! (on another forum that will remain nameless), and that I will not return to. Basically they just want to believe its all a bed of bloody roses here.

Going home is the toughest decision. I mean, who packs up their lives, sells their house, parts with their cat (to get run over), loses a dog in Quarantine, and then just breezes to the decision that going home would be much more fun ? It has been tough, tough, tough.

Life is definitely NOT rosier here, and that makes me feel very sad. I love Oz, we just picked the wrong place for us (long story), but I will miss the beauty of the place, the beaches, Sydney (although I have never lived there I hasten to add), and the hopes and dreams that have come crashing down.

We feel like we are living on another planet here, but I am so glad we tried, or we would always have wondered "what if" ???

A xxxxxxx
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:10 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Familytoaus
That is what I thought. Just too rosy and hallmark cardy to be much more than an attempt to convince themselves more than us. Sorry but I am cynical.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:57 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojosan
Yes, and you can fly home in about 5 seconds on there too!
I don't know about anyone else? but when Google earth does the 'fly to' thingy from Oz to U.K I get all teary....especially on one of my 'fragile' days

The reality of it all really hits home.

....and then you go and make yourself cry by looking at your parents house/ kids old school etc

Funny old world we live in eh?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
I don't know about anyone else? but when Google earth does the 'fly to' thingy from Oz to U.K I get all teary....especially on one of my 'fragile' days

....and then you go and make yourself cry by looking at your parents house/ kids old school etc

LOL I did that too!!! When DS lived in London and regularly walked over Vauxhall bridge to work, I used to check in with the traffic cam every day just to see if I could see him. Sad or what???!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: What will you miss from Oz?

Hi Quoll,

Thanks for your PM - I will not go back on that forum, so couldn't reply personally, so good to see you here. I really suffered from that battering, as if I was not low enough.

Some people just do not want to know the truth, sitting from their firesides in the UK or wherever.

But your PM meant a lot to me - thankyou !!!!

And we have had an apology from the moderator - how can they be so critical of BE ????? I know I had a bit of an outburst, but that was my fault...................... grief.

Beats me, but thank you. I was terribly hurt and upset.

a xxxxx
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You are quite welcome AK! I was somewhat surprised by the vitriol I must admit. Glad you are going better now! I got lanced there too which was a bit of a surprise. Very sad that some people cannot handle a slightly different POV!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:17 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Me thinks so too There's a lot of 'em about you know. The ones who won't post on this section because they bleated on and on (in the Barbie) about how much they hated the UK and how Aus was going to be a great.

They kinda just sneak off back home silently

100% why are people going home if they can stay in Oz if they choice, because they prefer the UK.

It makes me smile that the ones who come on defending Oz to the hilt are really the ones I think are a little lealous of the ones who have seen the light and returning to the best Country on the planet.
Thay have to come from the "Barbie" to have a look
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:20 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

The worst bit of that for me was the photos of our place in the UK were a few years old so you could see my car parked outside my work! So I knew I was inside that building in that photo. The garden had our patio heater and table set in it. Very emotional it was to look at Google Earth when i was in Australia.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 12:31 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never really had a mooch on google earth...think I'll have a go now.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use to do that and see my old home...my dads, my brothers and my sons old school....all 10 mins away from each other....stop doing it as I was sure the Yellow Van would pull up outside my door or the owners of my old home could sense I was spying on them!!!!! if you do that....then you have to head home........
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
100% why are people going home if they can stay in Oz if they choice, because they prefer the UK.

It makes me smile that the ones who come on defending Oz to the hilt are really the ones I think are a little lealous of the ones who have seen the light and returning to the best Country on the planet.
Thay have to come from the "Barbie" to have a look
To true..now we have told our "friends" we are going home they have either been horrible or we have not seen them!!! and thats because as long as we have known them, they have all gone on about hating this and that about Perth, slagging off the West Aussies...only have British Friends etc...now whats all that about..if you love it so much you'd live like the "locals"!! or as best as you can..now we hae friends from all over the world here....never really slagged anything off...just never been home to us.......I really think all those kind of people would go home at a drop of a hat if they had their homes and weather dropped right by they wanted to in U.K...but that is only my opinion..
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:54 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about anyone else? but when Google earth does the 'fly to' thingy from Oz to U.K I get all teary....especially on one of my 'fragile' days The reality of it all really hits home. ....and then you go and make yourself cry by looking at your parents house/ kids old school etc Funny old world we live in eh?
Where abouts in Herts. were you from Jan?

Originally Posted by quoll
You are quite welcome AK! I was somewhat surprised by the vitriol I must admit. Glad you are going better now! I got lanced there too which was a bit of a surprise. Very sad that some people cannot handle a slightly different POV!
Was it on PIP by any chance?

Originally Posted by alicecat
The worst bit of that for me was the photos of our place in the UK were a few years old so you could see my car parked outside my work! So I knew I was inside that building in that photo. The garden had our patio heater and table set in it. Very emotional it was to look at Google Earth when i was in Australia.
I have a picture of the house I left my heart and soul in back home in Herts.,but sadly I can't zoom in any closer so it's only the rooftops and woods, but it still makes me very sad. I posted a pic on another thread, but can't remember which one, so I'll put it on here too. Our house was the first on the right as you come down the lane. Boo hoo, sob.
Attached Thumbnails What will you miss from Oz?-radlettlanemyhomejj0.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.