Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What will you miss from Oz?

Wikiposts

What will you miss from Oz?

Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:57 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you miss from Oz?

Originally Posted by lorids
Absolutely, the quality of melanoma you get back in the UK is just an absolute disgrace never mind the risk of maybe catching an education or worse ....having to cover her feet in... shoes!!...safer to stay put !!.

nice one
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:22 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Jan, i am just about to book my holiday to Gold Coast. What do you think of the place.? and how's the weather?
Hi! I've P.M'd you
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:44 am
Account Closed

liziwe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jojosan
I am fuming so just thought I'd stick my oar in here!

What I WILL NOT miss from Australia is their arrogance, extreme nationalism verging on racism and such bad sportsman-ship!!

I have just been put on hold on the telephone, and rather than hearing Greensleeves or some other bit of '"musak" I was forced to listen to some cricket commentary, going on about how s***e England were and that Australia were the better side and would beat them etc. I do not mean just saying this is a normal way, but swearing (was bleeped out) about England etc. It was not even done in an attempt to be amusing - it was just blatant abuse.

Also when England beat Australia in the rugby world cup last October, and then were going on to play France, the TV put up a screen saying "Go France"! Are they so jealous and worried about England at every step of the way that they have to continually do this???

It makes my blood boil! (aka Mr (or Mrs) Angry)

I am so glad to be taking my children out of this country - I do not want them to grow up being Aussies, if this is any indication of the 'norm' in relation to their homeland!!

Honestly, do you all think technology is good for the brains when settling into a new environment and going through natural emotions and feelings which go with the experience?
I came here 2 years ago, went through all the same feelings you guys are going through and "thank goodness", didn't know about this website until I had settled in here and really love it. If I had seen this website, I would have been almost suicidal!
It's natural to miss what we had and become very critical of what's new. Can you believe I met an African refugee at the station the other day, we got talking and she's actually missing her wartorn country and finding it hard to settle. That just proves it's friends, friends and routine we miss and it's natural to resent the new, but I assure you it will pass.
It won't pass if you always go onto the negative websites and "stoke the fire". Not healthy for anyone.
You may wonder why I'm even reading them?!!! Funny, it makes me defend Oz instead of the other way round now!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:49 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liziwe
Honestly, do you all think technology is good for the brains when settling into a new environment and going through natural emotions and feelings which go with the experience?
I came here 2 years ago, went through all the same feelings you guys are going through and "thank goodness", didn't know about this website until I had settled in here and really love it. If I had seen this website, I would have been almost suicidal!
It's natural to miss what we had and become very critical of what's new. Can you believe I met an African refugee at the station the other day, we got talking and she's actually missing her wartorn country and finding it hard to settle. That just proves it's friends, friends and routine we miss and it's natural to resent the new, but I assure you it will pass.
It won't pass if you always go onto the negative websites and "stoke the fire". Not healthy for anyone.
You may wonder why I'm even reading them?!!! Funny, it makes me defend Oz instead of the other way round now!

That says it all for me follks squirms.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:02 am
Account Closed

liziwe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
Ok my lovelies, I'm leaving this site and getting on with my life. May you all find peace...
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting - I have been here 29 years and it definitely hasnt passed and it is getting worse. Found this board by chance (following a completely non expat link) a few months ago and it has been a lifesaver because now I know that I am not going nuts. I know that when I go home and get off that plane, I am a whole person again whereas no matter what I do here I am not! I can live with it because DH and I have lots of compromises (he isnt getting what he wants either - no way on this earth am I going to live out in the fly ridden bush without a flush loo!!!!!) but I am not enjoying it and I count off the days to go before my next trip home.

I actually think it is very healthy to be able to talk to people who are going through the same things that you are because is normalizes your experiences. I am sure that none of us IRL go out and bag Australia, we hold it all in, smile and smile and act like one of the natives. This forum gives us a chance to say what it is that we dont like - and that is OK. I havent said to anyone IRL that the bloody cockatoos, magpies and currawongs drive me nuts or that I cannot abide the smell of wattle (DH has taken the big one out of our garden now thank heavens!) because the Aussies dont like anyone being critical of their little paradise.

I didnt feel homesick at 2 months or even 2 years and I find it interesting that people who have been here for a short time are waxing lyrical about this being perfection - well, in my experience familiarity breeds contempt and it will be interesting to see how many begin to feel differently once the lure of the sunshine and the beach wears off.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:20 am
Banned

Originally Posted by quoll
Interesting - I have been here 29 years and it definitely hasnt passed and it is getting worse. Found this board by chance (following a completely non expat link) a few months ago and it has been a lifesaver because now I know that I am not going nuts. I know that when I go home and get off that plane, I am a whole person again whereas no matter what I do here I am not! I can live with it because DH and I have lots of compromises (he isnt getting what he wants either - no way on this earth am I going to live out in the fly ridden bush without a flush loo!!!!!) but I am not enjoying it and I count off the days to go before my next trip home.

I actually think it is very healthy to be able to talk to people who are going through the same things that you are because is normalizes your experiences. I am sure that none of us IRL go out and bag Australia, we hold it all in, smile and smile and act like one of the natives. This forum gives us a chance to say what it is that we dont like - and that is OK. I havent said to anyone IRL that the bloody cockatoos, magpies and currawongs drive me nuts or that I cannot abide the smell of wattle (DH has taken the big one out of our garden now thank heavens!) because the Aussies dont like anyone being critical of their little paradise.

I didnt feel homesick at 2 months or even 2 years and I find it interesting that people who have been here for a short time are waxing lyrical about this being perfection - well, in my experience familiarity breeds contempt and it will be interesting to see how many begin to feel differently once the lure of the sunshine and the beach wears off.

That is one of of the best and honest posts I have ever had the pleasure of reading

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Jan 24th 2008 at 9:23 am.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:21 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Not the best advertisement for Australia I agree!! Classic!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:25 am
Banned

I had to bump this post
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:32 am

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll miss watching Australia shrivel up into a dried piece of nothing because of the huge salinity problem, caused by the need for salt due to the huge chips they have on both shoulders.

Guess I can watch it on Google Earth though
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Triboy
I'll miss watching Australia shrivel up into a dried piece of nothing because of the huge salinity problem, caused by the need for salt due to the huge chips they have on both shoulders.

It looks better on google earth, its over 12,000 miles away
Old Jan 24th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, do you all think technology is good for the brains when settling into a new environment and going through natural emotions and feelings which go with the experience?I came here 2 years ago, went through all the same feelings you guys are going through and "thank goodness", didn't know about this website until I had settled in here and really love it. If I had seen this website, I would have been almost suicidal!

I seriously have no idea what you are going on about!!??

At the risk of stating the bleeding obvious (as per Sybil Fawlty), my post was nothing to do with 'technology', but the crappy attitude the Aussies seem to have with regard to sport generally, and England as competitors in particular. I do realise that there are lovely, individual Aussies, I am talking generally about how they portray themselves.

Someone once made the point about the lack of Aussie wit - have you caught this already ??
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:44 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

I know your account has been deleted, but I have a sneaky suspicion you won't be able to resist a peek. People don't register then make 10 posts, most of which are in the MBTTUK forum, because they are happy. Why didn't you just start posting in The Barbie or the NZ forum if that is where you are?

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Jan 24th 2008 at 1:01 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy

You makes oi larf!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

It looks better on google earth, its over 12,000 miles away
Yes, and you can fly home in about 5 seconds on there too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.