Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

What will you miss from Oz?

What will you miss from Oz?

Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:20 am
Forum Regular

alliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to beholdalliekate is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: What will you miss from Oz?

OMG, these are all the things we will miss - good and bad.

Washing drying on the radiators, freezing our arses off, public pools, but OMG _ get me there tomorow. I do not belong here and feel like a square peg in a very round hole.

Dirt bikes, burn outs, animal welfare, constant loud music from next door, floods, cesspit overflows, naked kids in filthy nappies in shopping trolleys, no eye contact, the mad max driving ................ get me home now !!!!!

Allie xxxxxxxxxx

ps but I will miss the scenery and winter (not summer) weather............and the beaches........

Last edited by alliekate; Jan 21st 2008 at 4:36 am.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:45 am
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you miss from Oz?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I prefer to pack my own. The bags here are useless, too thin and they pack about 2 things in each bag

I like to just shove stuff in. Quicker that way, get out of the supermarket quicker, but they just mess about.
Oh my God I hate that. They do it in the US, too. I often find myself with as many bags as I have items. WTF??? Thought we were trying to save the planet, not kill all it's resources with one trip to the shops? I've tried to pack my own, but when you say that you want to, they look at you like you've just shat in their mouth! (Think they worry that if their boss sees, they might get told off for not doing their job.)
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Having been back a year and a half now, I really miss the weather. I have oesto-arthritis which flares up in the damp...and in Oz I must admit I never took any medication.
I miss the commorardarie of being with people "in the same boat" understanding exactly how you feel and why. I miss the friends I made, but appreciate all the more the friends here.
Because I never had a "proper job" in Oz, I miss the spare time - being able to go out of an evening and not worry re work the next day etc. I miss my best mate (you know who you are) there dreadfully, a real loss. Oz was like a holiday - great when there - but always that "when am I going home back to the real world feeling"
I also miss (sadly) Target and K Mart
yep - the weather ---major-----thats about it.
Chrissy
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:14 am
Account Closed

liziwe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bluejohn
oh I can relate to this one, drying the bed linen, towels and not bieng able to put them outside. I miss the beaches too.
I'm not going back, but if I was, I'd miss the most important thing... the smiles and happiness on my childrens' faces everyday they frolic with the dog on the dry lawn, jump in the waves and shriek, cycle along the beachfront to school, have sleepovers in their cubby house in the garden, selling their toys from the front verandah to make money, and many more reasons why they have smiles on their faces since we decided not to go back.
Forgot to mention the smiles, flowers I often get from my OH ...
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

marklyndapoole is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I know we all miss heaps from the UK and we've rambled on and on about them for years, but, what will you miss from Australia when you return?

For me, I will miss;

Friends (especially an old school friend who moved here at the same time as me)
The ocean being just down the road
Being able to plan an outside event weeks in advance and KNOW it won't rain!!! But, I have to say, that is the only great thing about this stinking heat!
Freemantle markets and fish and chips at the harbour on a Sunday.
Decent long machiatto coffee...........

ermmmmm...o.k, struggling now....your turn.
What about Tim Tam's & Chicken salt on the chips ?
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marklyndapoole

Nah...much prefer Penguin bars and proper salt on my chips....it clogs the arteries far faster!!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

BTW - Does everything in this country have to have something to do with chickens??

Did you know they were made to go with avocados?? I never did WTF??!!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, being dim, what exactly is chicken salt???

Sounds dodgy, so we always say no when offered!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

My DS sent me an email the other day and said he misses al fresco dining. Well, if he will live in the wilds of Surrey or Hampshire or wherever he is, that's his problem. He didnt have the same trouble when he lived in central London that's for sure! I dont think that would be a problem in Cambridge either!
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

lukelizzie will become famous soon enoughlukelizzie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jojosan

Next time you are offered it, try it. You wont regret it.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:40 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by jojosan

Chicken salt is lovely. I heard it was made from crushed chicken bones...but many have denied that. Who cares, it tastes nice.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:48 pm
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Fear not! Tim Tam's widely available at my local Tesco store!!

However! Shock horror! I do not think Lamingtons have made it to British shores as yet - anyone from the UK correct me if I am wrong!

One good thing you can also get a decent pie here without having to have a bloody big blob of tomato sauce on top!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:34 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chance to be
Having been back a year and a half now, I really miss the weather. I have oesto-arthritis which flares up in the damp...and in Oz I must admit I never took any medication.
I miss the commorardarie of being with people "in the same boat" understanding exactly how you feel and why. I miss the friends I made, but appreciate all the more the friends here.
Because I never had a "proper job" in Oz, I miss the spare time - being able to go out of an evening and not worry re work the next day etc. I miss my best mate (you know who you are) there dreadfully, a real loss. Oz was like a holiday - great when there - but always that "when am I going home back to the real world feeling"
I also miss (sadly) Target and K Mart
yep - the weather ---major-----thats about it.
Chrissy
That's a major thing I miss about the States - I feel like someone crept in during the night and swapped my hip and knee joints for those of an 80 year old!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

To be honest i think i would only miss the sun...dont miss smelly sour clothes people in the supermarket and the people behind me thinking its me... minking kids with hinging clothes and people just looking generally scruffy, but not moving back just now, so will have to put up with it for another couple of years.

Cheers
Suzanne
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:51 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Chicken salt is lovely. I heard it was made from crushed chicken bones...but many have denied that. Who cares, it tastes nice.
It's basically MSG (mono-sodium glutomate) and salt dressed up with a few herbs. Personally speaking, I always go with the plain salt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.